• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Making it so the water can run

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have just read 10 pages of your posts, and you have a sure knack for doing everything right. What Laser would you recommend that could do the work you do but without all the bells and whistles. You previously stated that you use a Spectra Precision GL722 And a LR60 Receiver if I have it right. Some models have changed now, and I understand that some work faster than others. C-mark uses a GL622 he stated in one of his posts. Wondering what would work well for a guy starting out. Any info appreciated. Was a very interesting read. Keep up the info line. You have helped a lot more people than you think.
Simon C

Shimmy1

I have just read 10 pages of your posts, and you have a sure knack for doing everything right. What Laser would you recommend that could do the work you do but without all the bells and whistles. You previously stated that you use a Spectra Precision GL722 And a LR60 Receiver if I have it right. Some models have changed now, and I understand that some work faster than others. C-mark uses a GL622 he stated in one of his posts. Wondering what would work well for a guy starting out. Any info appreciated. Was a very interesting read. Keep up the info line. You have helped a lot more people than you think.
Simon C
Thanks, Simon. I'm strictly a Spectra guy. I've tried others, just don't care for any of them. It's probably a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing, and that's fine. I use the 722 because I need the range. Sometimes I have to survey several miles of ditch, and it's a royal pain leapfrogging the laser. If distances aren't a big concern, the 622 would probably be fine. I purchased an LR50 a few years ago when I had the need for two receivers. Either receiver works good, the 50 has the tilt lights so when the excavator isn't level you can use those to judge with.

Shimmy1

IMG_20230112_114013418.jpg This isn't making water run, but figured I'd share a couple pics of my winter work. This site took a little over two days, it was close to a quarter mile long, both sides. The pic doesn't show it real well, but the other side behind the dozer was about 7' tall. IMG_20230112_113928527.jpg IMG_20230112_113828521_HDR.jpg IMG_20230112_113838583.jpg

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
You sure get a lot of wind drifting in your area. That looks like quite the feat to tackle if it is deep enough and long enough. Would a snow blower on the front of a big wheel loader do as good of a job or are the wndrows you made best. We get some snow but not the wide open windrifts like you folks. Keeps your buldozer working in the winter time.
Simon C

Welder Dave

A big blower would work but I think it might be a little slower depending. Did the job above just require getting a lane open so a grader could finish or clearing the whole road and pushing the snow back as well?

crane operator

So do you end up loading it up afterward and putting it in your shop to thaw it out each time? Or just keep it cold?

We froze up our tracked skid loaders a bunch of times pushing snow, in freeze/thaw temps and that's a pain in the ---

Shimmy1

A big blower would work but I think it might be a little slower depending. Did the job above just require getting a lane open so a grader could finish or clearing the whole road and pushing the snow back as well?
The road was down to one lane, and it was on a hill so it was dangerous for traffic. I pushed both sides back. Hopefully they will have enough room for the rest of the winter. If we get a bunch more big blows, I may have to shove it back again.

Shimmy1

So do you end up loading it up afterward and putting it in your shop to thaw it out each time? Or just keep it cold?

It depends. Last week Friday it was blowing like crazy, almost to the point I couldn't see what I was doing. I ended up taking it back to the shop because about mid-afternoon the thermostat decided to stick open. I have a little propane generator that I run on a 100 lb cylinder if it's getting colder than 15°F. It will run the generator for about 50 hours.
https://orchardgenerator.com/products/Champion-200960-%2d-1700-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Inverter-Generator-w{47}-Parallel-Capability-(CARB).html
It was cheap, and easy to drag around.

colson04

It depends. Last week Friday it was blowing like crazy, almost to the point I couldn't see what I was doing. I ended up taking it back to the shop because about mid-afternoon the thermostat decided to stick open. I have a little propane generator that I run on a 100 lb cylinder if it's getting colder than 15°F. It will run the generator for about 50 hours.
https://orchardgenerator.com/products/Champion-200960-%2d-1700-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Inverter-Generator-w{47}-Parallel-Capability-(CARB).html
It was cheap, and easy to drag around.

Do you run a heater off the generator? I guess I don't see how you're using this to help in the cold.

Welder Dave

How much more does it push than your Case dozer? I seem to recall the county had an issue with the grab handles beside the grill. I think it had to do with branches getting caught it them and potentially damaging the grill and/or the rad.

Shimmy1

How much more does it push than your Case dozer? I seem to recall the county had an issue with the grab handles beside the grill. I think it had to do with branches getting caught it them and potentially damaging the grill and/or the rad.
I'm not entirely sure yet, initial thoughts are at least 25% faster. Meaning, what would have taken 10 hours with the Case I do in 7.5. The best thing is the diff steer. That little Case was a pain in the azz to make small adjustments. The Cat I just go wherever I want. And the HVAC is so much better for fogging.

Welder Dave

Do you still have and/or use the D7 you bought that your competitor pulled a scraper with or was it was just too worn out?

Shimmy1

It got about 10 hours this year. I just don't have work for it. With my Challengers I can run circles inside of circles around what it's capable of with the scraper. Bulk dirt moving that I do I can do twice as fast with the excavator. I trying to decide what to do with it. I kind of appreciate the legacy of the old turd, but it's just obsolete anymore.