• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

mountainskidder

HDX... Thanks so much for all your detective work. Glad to go out last night and provide some more details. And looking forward to anything else you can find out about her. Interesting... that last bit about the duplicate S/N on the Elk River Timber WHD... I wonder where that will lead.
But now that we know that H23 and X223 arrived in Shawnigan in 1973 (BTW, my Dad was the divisional accountant in the early 80s at Shawnigan and worked in the office - probably saw that truck lumber by a few times) and I wonder if anyone in this forum might possible know where a photo of this old red'n'white might be found?
Don't forget to call Ian (250-210-8884) about grabbing that plate and pin. Or maybe Larry is going to sort that out for you.

HDX... don't know if you know where any photos of H23 that might be hiding, but it would be great to see the H23 truck and X223 trailer from their operational years. Maybe someone in the Red & White Forum might have a snap of them somewhere.

As a follow-up on X223, she is being re-purposed on the farm here in Chemainus. Larry and Ian have been welding and fitting and finally got X223 ready for a new mount... in this case, a ex-coal hauler dump box sourced out of Savona. It's brand-new and never been used... the box came on a spiffy-new KW from the factory for a coal mine in the BC Interior, but the coal mine went titters before delivery. Coal hauling trucks were sold - there were three - and this dump box (about 10ft wide and 24ft long) was left behind when the trucks were sold. Ian got it for a steal and will swap the dump box and with a big HOULE manure spreader on X223 depending on what their farm needs are that the time.

As the photos below show, the dump box is sitting place... now the boys can zero in on where the lift cylinder and box hinges will be placed. I'm going to try and talk Ian into painting X223 MB red! More updates to come in the future.

HDX_trailer_fitting.jpg

HDX_trailer_fitting2.jpg

HDX

Well they sure have done a nice conversion on it. It is good to see a piece of M&B equipment being put back into service. It will look even better when she is all spiffed up Very impressive mountainskidder As for H23 I don't have any that would be of any help There has to be Shawnigan drivers around that would have a shot of her stashed away in their album's somewhere

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Jackd... it seems to me that we moved in each others shadows so many years ago out at the Lake. I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon for coffee and some reminiscing. Now for some clues to finish this up...moved away from the lake in 1966 and moved back to Port Alberni in 1971 for one year when Dad was transferred to MB Somass... since then I have lived in the Chemainus area as Dad moved up the food chain working at both Chemainus Sawmill and finally at Copper Canyon. From those days at the lake, you may remember my five sisters - Sister Steph was best friends with Sandra Munch... Sister Catherine with Mary Wilkie. Me?... I was friends with the two Long brothers... Dan Kingsley... Brad Yesowick and Kirk Larsen. Let's have our next conversation over coffee here in Chemainus. I'll send you a private message tomorrow sometime if you haven't figured this out. It's been fun. And to everyone else on this forum, thanks for indulging Jackd and I in this game of clues.

As an update to this conversation - Mountainskidder and I finally met again for coffee this week in Chemainus. We hadn't seen each other in 51 years by my calculation. He hasn't changed much because I still recognized him. We are both busy people in our lives and our work carries us to the Lower Mainland. We realized that we still have much in common - even modern day acquaintences that we both know. Small world this. Back to regular programming.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
As we are both commuters to our jobs on the mainland, the conversation turned to where we live while there. Big place that Lower Mainland. Well it would seem that he stays just down the street from where I lived for decades. His next door neighbour tutored my son through school (gorgeous red head). I know several of his neighbours it would seem. On the other hand I know very few people in Chemainus.

callingtheshop

20160213_130445_1.jpgIMG_5793.jpgThe truck is from Kennedy Lake DLS. I got the photo sent to me a couple weeks ago from Terry S. with a comment that it's been a long time since an off highway truck has been there. No good information on the truck, history, etc. The view of the gas pump price was from Edmonton on Feb. 13, 2016 while I was there. What are the prices on Van. Is. now? Taber is around $0.70 - $0.72.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Was 1.06 in Vancouver this week. I fill in Ladysmith before I head over here - always much cheaper there. I imagine the price here in YVR also got the 5 cent increase.

HDX

callingtheshop Do you know if this was a recent picture taken out there??? Sure looks like ex QCI division H152. MAYBE!!!!! Cant tell if it has twin turbo V12 or not.

mountainskidder

HDX... noticed this Hayes red and green down at Toquart Bay next to the Salmon Beech boat ramp back in 2012... just came across this photo today. I wonder if this old girl was a Coulson truck?. Because also in the shot is the front-end of a Kenny off-road rock truck with Coulson FP on the door. H7 looks like a former MB with a bit of "moss" growing on the hood.

HDX_red-green.jpg

49pacific

No that truck was owned by a fellow in tofino but it was cut up a couple years ago and most of the truck went into the scrap bin as well as a P16 he had

HDX

075, I'm posting these for you. When you look at the second picture you will see why I was standing so far away to take the first picture. lol
IMG_0453.JPGIMG_0454.JPG

HDX

Here are a couple of pictures of Bill Nelson. He was our truck foreman in the early 90's. He was an old Norrie Bros. employee. Don't know where he went after he left Franklin. He was a good friend.
IMG_0455.JPGIMG_0456.JPG