• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

mountainskidder

Jackd... Oh yes... Mrs. Martin... got caught swearing... the word was "bum"... it was the first time that I had a bite of a bar of soap and had to chew it. And that was up front with the class watching. Marlene Thompson was in my class... she lived over on McCoy Lake Rd... she likely witness that tom-foolery. Those bluffs... Dan Kingsley and I used to hang out up there... trying to get into trouble... which we did. I think the fire department had to put out one of our "camp fires" after we'd vacated back home for supper. We kept our heads down for awhile after that! Would have been 1964-65.

mountainskidder

Blk prince... not sure about Larry doing the welding. Ian is fitting and Larry may jump in to help once everything is cut and fit. Larry, Don, Squeak and Charlie Nixon always seems to be meeting up for morning coffee in the shop so I wouldn't be surprised if Larry brought his welding gloves along at some point.

mountainskidder

mountainskidder What size tires are on that trailer Are they by some chance 12:00X25 or are they 14:00X25 They should be Budd wheels also. I might have it narrowed down to one of three trailers MAYBE Got to go check a trailer I have stashed away with a square reach just like that one. Will check its number and see what it says. I think you are testing me here to see if I am worthy. diamondtguy I might know where to find one. It might need a new piece made for it though. I will take photos and show you what we will need

HDX... on the tire size, looks like they are fourteen hundreds by twenty-five on buds. I looked a little closer on the end of the bunk mount and found the numbers... had to use a wire brush with a bit of elbow... the number is FV 91123 E1. Hope that helps with the detective work! Photo attached.
HDX_trailer_wheel.jpg

dirty4fun

Bl. Prince hope the tune up goes well for you, watch out those nurses can hurt a person, with a simple roll over.

HDX has Island Pacific gotten the new on road trucks, what did they buy if they have them?

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
dirty4fun,thanks Jim. Appreciate that. Wife is very sad. I will not be able to carry her lunch to the car in the mornings. Oh dear

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Ian, Hopefully you are going in to have a full set of "happy face" tires installed.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hello Reg,actually no installs or removals. Hernia so just put things back where they belong. Since retiring,I carry lunch and papers to wife's car in morning and nite. Too much junk. Haha

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Oh I see. Getting the springs re-arched to carry that load. Makes sense.lol

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Hope the other posters don't mind this little side game we are playing here. There were three kids from McCoy Lake - Marlene, Rob Naesgaard and me - we were all in the same class because Marlene flunked grade 1. Rob N. has passed away but Marlene is still a dear friend. Dan Kingsley became a good friend in college. The bar of soap was a common punishment. I probably watched you eat it but it was usually Ken Herbertson who was the recipient. I have all the class photos online should you require....

mountainskidder

Hope the other posters don't mind this little side game we are playing here. There were three kids from McCoy Lake - Marlene, Rob Naesgaard and me - we were all in the same class because Marlene flunked grade 1. Rob N. has passed away but Marlene is still a dear friend. Dan Kingsley became a good friend in college. The bar of soap was a common punishment. I probably watched you eat it but it was usually Ken Herbertson who was the recipient. I have all the class photos online should you require....

Yes... thanks for everyone's patience on this side conversation... we'll finish up shortly.

Jackd... it seems to me that we moved in each others shadows so many years ago out at the Lake. I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon for coffee and some reminiscing. Now for some clues to finish this up...moved away from the lake in 1966 and moved back to Port Alberni in 1971 for one year when Dad was transferred to MB Somass... since then I have lived in the Chemainus area as Dad moved up the food chain working at both Chemainus Sawmill and finally at Copper Canyon. From those days at the lake, you may remember my five sisters - Sister Steph was best friends with Sandra Munch... Sister Catherine with Mary Wilkie. Me?... I was friends with the two Long brothers... Dan Kingsley... Brad Yesowick and Kirk Larsen. Let's have our next conversation over coffee here in Chemainus. I'll send you a private message tomorrow sometime if you haven't figured this out. It's been fun. And to everyone else on this forum, thanks for indulging Jackd and I in this game of clues.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Yes... thanks for everyone's patience on this side conversation... we'll finish up shortly.

Jackd... it seems to me that we moved in each others shadows so many years ago out at the Lake. I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon for coffee and some reminiscing. Now for some clues to finish this up...moved away from the lake in 1966 and moved back to Port Alberni in 1971 for one year when Dad was transferred to MB Somass... since then I have lived in the Chemainus area as Dad moved up the food chain working at both Chemainus Sawmill and finally at Copper Canyon. From those days at the lake, you may remember my five sisters - Sister Steph was best friends with Sandra Munch... Sister Catherine with Mary Wilkie. Me?... I was friends with the two Long brothers... Dan Kingsley... Brad Yesowick and Kirk Larsen. Let's have our next conversation over coffee here in Chemainus. I'll send you a private message tomorrow sometime if you haven't figured this out. It's been fun. And to everyone else on this forum, thanks for indulging Jackd and I in this game of clues.
Come on we all want to hear the rest of the story it is getting interesting.

HDX

mountainskidder: Here is exactly where to look for the serial number of your trailer. I threw you off by saying 7 digits but because it's a newer trailer it will be 4 digits. This is my trailer and your serial number will be in the same place.
IMG_3425.jpgIMG_3424.jpg

HDX

The good ol' red and white still shows up from time to time. Do not know the history of this long boom. North Island Division, maybe.
IMG_3380.jpgIMG_3381.jpgIMG_3382.jpgIMG_3383.jpg

mountainskidder

mountainskidder: Here is exactly where to look for the serial number of your trailer. I threw you off by saying 7 digits but because it's a newer trailer it will be 4 digits. This is my trailer and your serial number will be in the same place.
View attachment 149336View attachment 149337

HDX... I found the number FV 91123 E1 above that location. Check post #1323 above for more.

HDX

mountainskidder That number was a trailer build arrangement number This trailer had the same number because of the square reach If it was built with the round reach it would be FV97144-D. That number is stamped into both sides of the trailer body for easy access by assembly crew. If you look on the bottom of the drivers side under the "X" number it will show up. It will be smaller numbers and it will start with "S/N ####" only 4 numbers Trust me here!! These trailers were ordered for Shawnigan Division and were used behind their HD Hayes's. The one I have was delivered new behind H16. It was a HD 35-78 Delivered July 17/72 The trailers originally came with 12:00X25 tires. H22 and H23 also were the same size trucks delivered there and I am wondering if in fact your trailer did not come behind H23 There is no record of M&B trailers after 1970 other than some spotty ones I have over the years kept my own records of as many trailer numbers as I could dig up and where they went etc. I tried going backwards through everything but it was not to be. Get your trusty old wire brush out again for me. I will wait right here LOL