• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

mountainskidder

Lost Pole Trailer Gets New Life

Hi there... first post here. I have been following this forum for a few months now and find it hits close to home for me. I spent my early years living at Great Central Lake in the townsite on Boot Lagoon and while it was so long ago, I can still remember many of the families who were my parent's neighbours. I'm sure that some will remember Wilf Gill who drove off-road trucks for Sproat Lake Division, and maybe even Chauncy Jorgenson who I think may have been the Grade Foreman. My father was the cost accountant in the woodlands office under John Seton. Yes... Dad was an M&B man for over 25 years. Our family also ended up at Kennedy Lake logging division for a few years in the mid-sixties and I have great memories of crawling all over Roy Saunders rigs while they were lined-up across from the heavy-duty mechanics shop waiting to go back to work on Monday mornings. A few years later, Dad also helped Lou Tagseth and Stu Crawford start Eve River Division in the early 1970s. I ended up working in the forest industry as well and remain employed today albeit in a way that takes me all over the province. Enough about me. One of the reasons for joining this forum has its roots in an old pole trailer that I believe belonged to an M&B Hayes Trucks. So having read this forum, I understand that there are records in the hands of some that may have the answer. To that end, I'd like to figure out which M&B truck the pole trailer was paired with and hope that someone in this forum could help. My son-in-law is a dairy farmer in the Chemainus area and is converting or re-purposing this pole trailer into somethign else - to be able to carry a large manure tank that will be pulled behind their biggest John Deere. I believe the pole trailer used to belong to Cheminaus logging trucker Ron Mattin. The attached photo clearly shows the trailer number X223 which was welded into a cross-member. Having admired so many of the truck photos in red & white, I was hoping... OK, thought it would be fun... to find out where it came from... which truck it was paired... and that maybe there might be a photo of it in this forum somewhere. Thanks is advance, Guys.IMG_20160122_164349.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Welcome to HEF mountainskidder I spotted that trailer on the farm last year behind the rock quarry I was hauling out of , never got back to check it out , thanks for taking the picture . I'm sure HDX will be on that shortly . When you lived at Great Central Lake , were you living near where the Fish Hatchery is at foot of lake ?

mountainskidder

You got it right. Our house was located where one of the hatchery pools now exist. If you were to stand with your back to the Ark Resort and look down that now non-existent road, our house would have been the fourth one down on the left-hand side. When MacMillan Bloedel and Power River Ltd. decided to shut the town (apparently BC Hydro was going to raise the level of the lake which would flood the townsite), my father bought the house for $1 and had Nickel Bros. move it to Dicksen Drive on Sproat Lake. in fact, many of those Great Central Lake houses ended up at Sproat Lake on Dicksen Drive - I think there were 11 homes that made the trip down the logging road from Great Central Lake to Dicksen Drive about 1959-1960. That $1 house sprouted a second floor and which was welcome because by that time there were six kids that needed the room! Regarding you spotting that trailer at the rock quarry, my-oh-my... its a small world sometime. You're absolutely right and I'm guessing you have been grabbing some gravel from the quarry and rolling right past my place on your way back up to the highway. Yup... small world.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Well now you have got my curiosity going.... Another 'Laker has joined the forum. My parents bought a house on McCoy Lake Rd. which supposedly started out at Great Central Lake as well. My Dad renovated that with additional bedrooms as well, for what was eventually a family of 5 kids. I couldn't imagine living in those confines now. I'm trying to figure out which family that lived on Dickson Drive you are part of - I remember many of the names from the old days. Keep putting clues out there - I will enjoy the mental gymnastics I will be doing as I try figuring out who you are. And to think that I live in Chemainus too.

HDX

mountainskidder, I am having a tough time finding that trailer in the files. What I need you to do is go look all around the flat surface where the X223 is welded on there. There will be a 7 digit number stamped into it, Because of the square reach I think the number will start with a 4 or 5. One more thing Has Don and Squeeky started the conversion on it yet??? I am looking for the plate that is welded onto the top of body that the bunk sits on. It is about 14 X14 inches with a 3 1/2 inch pin welded to it. I cant put a bunk on old 6-246 till I get one of those plate/pins. Most of them were cut off and replaced with the twist and turn to drop the bunk on whereas those ones had a horseshoe collar on them to hold the bunk on. That is what I need. In the meantime I will keep going through the book looking for that unit number for you.

mountainskidder

Thx HDX. I'm currently in Kelowna but I'll talk to Don and Squeak on the weekend. As you noticed in the photo, the bunk is off and I saw it standing up on the ground last Saturday... don't recall seeing the plate attached. But I'll check it out and see if it's around and intact. And yes, the trailer has a square reach and I'll see if I can find the seven digit number... and the plate and pin.

mountainskidder

Hey there JackD... in my mind's eye, our Dicksen Drive neighbourhood was very near the mouth of the Sproat River with Larry Bruner, Schultz Family, Johansens, Al and Alma West lived nearby - he was Sproat Bullbucker I think. Right next door was Kenny Bruner and if you walked westward down through the gully you'd have Ray Buck, Munches, and the Wilkies on the water side. If you bushwhacked behind our family home - which as a kid did many times - you'd reach Faber Rd and the fields and swamp beyond that. Lot's of clues there!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Mrs. Johansen taught my grade one class at Faber School. I'm still traumatized. I remember Sandra and Hughie Munch. The Chatwins, Supers, Schulzes and a few more. Did you used to head up the 'Honda Trail'? Al West was a Bullbucker before my time at Sproat Lake Division. Thought the Bruners lived down by Davidson's store. I used to bushwack in your direction from the Stirling Arm side.

mountainskidder

Trailer Turntable Pin

HDX... somewhat successful on the trailer turntable and pin. They had to burn off the turntable plate, but the pin and plate is still intact. Might need to air-arc the edge to clean it up. However, the horseshoe keeper was welded shut and had to be burned off... it's a goner. Call Ian at 250-210-8884 to discuss means and ways of getting her home. I also looked for that 7-digit number without success. In the attached photo, can you direct me where to look closer? HDX_trailer_bunk.jpgPhotos attached.HDX_trailer_turntablepin.jpg HDX_trailer.jpg

Last edited:

mountainskidder

Jackd... I remember all those people and even had Mrs. Johansen for grade one as well. Also was taught by Mrs. Martin at Faber Road School for grade 3 and 4. Trekked down many trails... don't recall one named Honda Trail... but probably was on it. Never did walk through those field to the Stirling Arm side but climbed on the bluffs. I understand the logging haul road was moved away from Sproat/Somass River and now would be beyond those fields... but it was after my time.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
HDX... somewhat successful on the trailer turntable and pin. They had to burn off the turntable plate, but the pin and plate is still intact. Might need to air-arc the edge to clean it up. However, the horseshoe keeper was welded shut and had to be burned off... it's a goner. Call Ian at 250-210-8884 to discuss means and ways of getting her home. I also looked for that 7-digit number without success. In the attached photo, can you direct me where to look closer? View attachment 149167Photos attached.View attachment 149166 View attachment 149170

Oh, oh! I know a certain orange truck that is going to be a little more complete!

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Good job cutting the plate out...Would not be difficult to remove all the welds and start fresh....Now...If someone has a sketch or Dwg for the horseshoe keeper I can easily have one water jet.The big Omax is 10' from my bench at work....I suspect there is a hidden stash of them somewhere tho.......

HDX

mountainskidder What size tires are on that trailer Are they by some chance 12:00X25 or are they 14:00X25 They should be Budd wheels also. I might have it narrowed down to one of three trailers MAYBE Got to go check a trailer I have stashed away with a square reach just like that one. Will check its number and see what it says. I think you are testing me here to see if I am worthy. diamondtguy I might know where to find one. It might need a new piece made for it though. I will take photos and show you what we will need

dirty4fun

It sure is a pleasure to see so many people helping each other! Guess I should of known by now to expect such behavior from the most friendly people I have ever met.

HDX

Yes I am Ian Will make it easier for you to get up here and make your one last move for old times sake LOL. Might not be a grapple yarder or anything elaborate BUT it will be a good trip. Will be a couple log loaders moving if and when we ever go back to work. Seems WFP officials for some reason do not want to log here right now, Maybe it is because of the low Canadian dollar. OH maybe it is easier to barge the logs down from north island to keep the mills here going. There is some monkey business going on. OH WELL, They seem to forget that for some of us this is old news. We been through it too many times to even care anymore. I happened to ask one of the WFP guys who seemed to be gloating about it --How long before the light goes on somewhere and they realize WHY DO WE NEED YOU GUYS There is nobody here to supervise. LOL OH DID I SAY THAT!!!!!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Also was taught by Mrs. Martin at Faber Road School for grade 3 and 4. Trekked down many trails... don't recall one named Honda Trail... but probably was on it. Never did walk through those field to the Stirling Arm side but climbed on the bluffs. I understand the logging haul road was moved away from Sproat/Somass River and now would be beyond those fields... but it was after my time.

I was taking the ferry last spring and spied a fellow from my year with Mrs. Martin for the same grade 3/4 ordeal in 65/66. He and another guy were on the receiving end of her shoe for many a time. He grew up to be a senior member of the RCMP in the far north - now retired to Youbou. He said there was a Facebook page dedicated to those that suffered the abuse of her. The man was visibly angry when he spoke of her and I did not raise the topic to begin with. The Honda trail went from behind Faber school all the way to around the entrance to Dickson Drive. I too climbed the bluffs. I just wonder if you are the guy who used to tie my shoes for me back in grade one....

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX,well that would be a great time to start at CameronShop and if it happens I would come over in the AM and yard would be easy to find. We will talk again. I have a trip to the rebuild shop in the works. Will have me laid up for a few days bit nothing serious.