• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lube specifications for no12 cat grader

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Hello I have a cat no12 grader serial number 8t4763 trying to figure out where the tranny fill is on it and what type of oil it uses also same with the chain drives I'm curious if the control box in the cab takes some type of gear oil also thanks for any help on this

Jakebreak

Occupation
Thank you old magnet I appreciate it. The guys at cat still haven't got back to me on that stuff

Jakebreak

Occupation
By chance would anyone know what size allen wrench it takes to take the fill plug out of the rear end on this grader

51kw

1 1/8 I believe. Make your own, much easier. Short bolt + couple nuts + spot welds = done.

Old Magnet

It's Cat size (tapered). Get one of these for 1/2" drive.
(current Cat part # 212-8146)

Attachments

• Drain Plug Wrench #1 Pt #212-8146 copy.jpg
    Drain Plug Wrench #1 Pt #212-8146 copy.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Drain Plug Wrench #2 Pt #212-8146 copy.jpg
    Drain Plug Wrench #2 Pt #212-8146 copy.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Jakebreak

Occupation
Thank you 51kw and old magnet I appreciate it I got it running but need to drain tranny fluid and everything else it's been sitting for awhile. Also to when I moved it I heard a growling sound it sounds to me like it's coming from the tranny I'm hoping it's nothing to serious

51kw

Keep an eye on the bearing behind the parking brake drum. Known weak spot that makes a mess when it goes out and isn't caught till catasotrophic failure. The seal doesn't even leak.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Well today I think the pony motor might have given up on the grader I had the pony running this morning but it wouldn't wind up like it did yesterday and it started smoking and just shut off. I had fuel coming out of the Petcock valve on both sides from the cylinders and went to start it again and the starter was having a hard time turning would anyone have an idea on where to start diagnosing the pony motor also when the starter was turning the crank pulley wasn't turning the

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not trying to be negative but did you shut the gas off and let it run out to kill the pony in the past. Wonder if the small oil sump filled with gas and you smoked the bearings. Happens often when the gas is not shut off and they are not run out of gas to kill per the manuals. Kill switch is for emergencys only.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Yes every time I have the grader I have shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas I found out that a while back before I started running it they used to use starting fluid on it to get it running I'm not sure if that might have played a role in it I'm going to try and check compression on it and see if it's seized up by turning it by hand. Also to would it be worth just doing a conversion kit on it to change it over to direct start

56wrench

I've also got a #12 8T. I didn't know there ever was an electric start conversion for the D318 engine

Jakebreak

Occupation
I found a website this morning auto-lec rebuilders that sell starters and the complete kit for $1300 i emailed the guy for some more information hopefully I hear back from him today is your pony motor not working

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have a Cat No. 120 Motor Grader Serial Number 89G2057 or 89G1 - up...... I am ashamed to admit but dont know for sure where to check transmission oil?...Sorry Guys....be easy on me....I am a girl and blonde as well....Is this it??
Did you know that for the grand sum of $52 you can download a pdf copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual for your grader.?

1701810485698.png