• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LS180 Help: fault code 4

pirk42

Hi, I am hoping for some help on my 2001 new holland LS 180. It wont start right now (no power to the starter). When I put it in service mode I get a fault code 4 which is fuel silonoid. I went to the dealer and asked if I really needed a new one and he said its probably a loose connection. (the part is 300 bucks).

I have checked all fuses, battery power, I have tugged and reset connectors but still nothing. Any ideas ?

stovein

Have you run the diagnostic on the eic? Will the dealer give you a electrical diagram of the wiring. I have seen posts of machines with this problem caused by a diode by the fuse panel in the engine bay or service /run switch or starter interlock relay. really need to follow the power to see where it stops. Ask dealer if it is wired the same as 170 or 160 might be more people able to help.

pirk42

Thanks Stovein, I have found some wiring diagrams online. To be honest I really dont know how to test it unless you are just telling me to do a continuity check. THAT I know how to do. I did pull all the fuses from the box in the engine bay, but how do I check a diode? thanks in advance.

stovein

Right now I can't find my diagrams, if your 180 is at all like my 99 665 the eic has a diagnostic mode in it. Do you have the operators manual? It is in the troubleshooting section. I found the post about the diode, it was for a 05 185.b said it looked like a two wire trailer connector in the engine bay fuse box. You may not have one. The service position bypasses the seat and seatbelt switches so you should have power at the engine fuse panel. If I find anything I'll get back.

stovein

pirk42, this is from a post on ssf that helped me. With the key in the start position, the white/lt green wire on the interlock relay should be energized with juice coming from the post on the service/run switch. If these conditions are met, juice should flow across the interlock relay to the start relay via the white/Drk Blue wire, then to the starter solenoid via the red/white wire, to the EIC pin 10 via the white wire (not via the interlock relay) and the starter should kick. Power should also flow from the light blu/Orange wire to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump. If your box looks like mine the interlock relay is the larger one below the other two. The blue/orange wire comes from it to the soleniod, maybe.

stovein

Found diagrams, one shows blue/orange from service to fuel solenoid, another shows blue/orange from service to starter interlock to fuel solenoid.

pirk42

Stovein, thanks for the research. I am going to test those connections in the morning. I will update asap.

thanks again.

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
stovein, I have a 98-99 lx565. This morning it fired up, sputtered and stalled out, I replaced the in line fuel filter, and the water separator filter, about 2 weeks ago and had not run it since this morning, the motor seems like it isn't getting fuel, I checked the connections on the fuel pump, and they seem ok. It sounds like you have had a lot of experience with these new hollands, and I would love to hear any input you may have.
thanks...

stovein

Actually I don't know anything only got mine last fall with problems right away. You have not run it since changing filters? When you turn the key on you should hear the fuel lift pump run, if it does then put the service/run switch in service loosen the bleed screw which is on the injector pump up behind the lines and turn the key on and allow the pump to run till a clear fuel stream comes tighten screw and when it runs it will bleed any other air out. This is on page 4-15 of the operators manual if you have it. fuel pump fuse is 5 amp I believe it is in the engine bay box. purple orange wire looks like it feeds the fuel pump. let me know if any of this helps please. I remember reading where this is supposed to be a self priming system so first just turn the key on and wait a couple minutes the try it.

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
I also just got my 565, and have been learning as I go as well....hahah. I talked to a friend who is a mechanic and he said the exact same thing about bleeding the air out of the injector lines. I dont have the manual for this machine but I know where to get one and I think it will be worth it. I am going to get into it this afternoon, and I will keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks for the help....Cheers!

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
Stovein I bled the pump, got fuel, but for some reason could not get the engine to turn over. I have been having what I thought were battery issues, so I pulled the battery got it tested...the battery was fine, put it back it and checked connections etc... still no turn over, the fuel pump would come on, the soleniod and glow plugs would work, so I opened up a small fuse panel in the cab that had fuses for the dash lights, head lights etc, in that panel was a toggle switch, ihave no idea what it does so I flipped it and turned the key and everything fired over and the machine started right up....My guess is that it is an overload or a safety trip that won't let you keep cranking the engine over when it has no fuel, or other issues. do you have any idea what that switch is? Honestly I am just glad I got the thing started.

stovein

On the 565 up above on the right there should be a little panel with fuses under it and just ahead of it is a switch marked service/run. To start the machine the switch has to be in run with you sitting in the seat and the seatbelt connected. This will close the underseat switch and seatbelt switch and it should start a everything work normally. If you switch the switch to service it will bypass the seat/seatbelt switches and start but will not release the hyd solenoids for the boom and bucket. Try it again maybe you did not have the seatbelt connected and so it would only start in service?

stovein

Was it locked up to the point you had to replace it or could you free it once it was out? Had it happen on a bobcat but never heard of it otherwise, I did read somewhere that any problem with the starting system will give you fuel solenoid error.

Nashman

I have a LS180 that i was using last night ran great i shut it off and now it wont start. New battery new starter. When i set in the seat and put on seatbelt the control panel lights up like normal but nothing. Even in the service mode.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Nashman,

Check the connections at the starter. I had a similar problem with my LS170. Wiggled the wires at the starter post, they seemed tight but now the loader will start. Wound up taking the wires loose and the starter out, cleaning all connections with a wire brush in a dremel and re-assembling. It worked fine for a couple of starts, then the solinoid went out. Replaced the starter and everything seems to be working ok now.

Tim