• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LS170 starter issues

i am having trouble with my starter. everytime (mostly when the machine is cold at first startup) i crank the machine i get a grinding type noise from the starter and its like the starter will not engage the flywheel. i have to bump the key a couple of times for it to catch and crank. i looked up the cost of a new starter and it was $500+. is there a reputable rebuilder anyone knows of or a better place to purchase a starter?

-cutts-

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
starter is probably fine. need to replace the starter solenoid before you grind off any ring gear teeth.

hmm ok, didnt really consider the solenoid. i will see if i can get that changed. thanks for the info

-cutts-

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
cutts,

I recently had a problem with my solenoid also. I have a guy here locally that does starter and generator work. He had a new starter for my LS 170 for $125.00 plus the old core. I originally asked him if he could rebuild it, he said he could but that it would cost $89.00 and would take a few hours, wouldn't I rather have a new one for $125 that I could walk away with now? yup!

Check around, starters and generators for these are fairly common items and available at places other your friendly (expensive) NH dealer.

Tim

durallymax

Remans starters from cnh are $240 exchange. We keep one on the shelf at all times. Tried the cheaper ones from Atlantic and they didn't hold up. Remove the starter and bench test it. Turn the motor over to inspect the ring gear. Its usually the starter itself causing the issue. Extended use will make things worse.

Remans starters from cnh are $240 exchange. We keep one on the shelf at all times. Tried the cheaper ones from Atlantic and they didn't hold up. Remove the starter and bench test it. Turn the motor over to inspect the ring gear. Its usually the starter itself causing the issue. Extended use will make things worse.

i am having trouble finding where to buy a reman'd starter from CNH. will my local NH dealer stock them?

durallymax

SBA185086530R is the part number

most good dealers should have one. Otherwise they should be able to order it.