• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low coolant temp?

Johndeere120

Like Funwithfuel said--the outer seal on a piston type stat. It's common for those to be
missed, just a little tear can flow allot of coolant.
Yeah the outer seal was on it and I was careful when putting it in and old one looked fine too. Looking at diagrams here and noticed there's a coolant bypass valve on top of the radiator. Any idea what that does exactly and can it cause my issue? Just a thought there's nothing else to the entire system it looks like except that bypass valve and thermostat

Johndeere120

It's hard to tell exactly but looks like it goes into the radiator and the other side I'm not sure the diagram isn't very clear. I can look more tomorrow and see. I'm wondering if that's stuck open but I'm not really sure but considering 2 thermostats didn't work and that's all that's left seems wierd

Johndeere120

It's vertical and looks more like the one on the right. How can I check if the cylinder head is airlock? Heater hoses appear to have good flow. I was reading if that thermal bypass valve is stuck open it can cause low Temps apparently

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It's vertical and looks more like the one on the right. How can I check if the cylinder head is airlock? Heater hoses appear to have good flow. I was reading if that thermal bypass valve is stuck open it can cause low Temps apparently
There's a seal in the bore that the tube body must fit tightly into it. If it "fell" right in, it's no good. You should feel resistance when pushing it in.
See if coolant purges from hose nipples or coolant passages in the head.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What is the machine's complete serial number? There are 4 different engine models available for a 310J.

What part number thermostat did you get?

Is this something that just started happening or was it always an issue?

Johndeere120

I'll get the number today when I'm there but I know the engine in it is a 4045ht054 series. When I put the thermostat in there was definitely some resistance. Not super hard but it was a good tight fit with the seal not sure on part number I can check later on the bag is in the cab. It was an issue since I got it around 3 or 4 years ago. The thing was I havnt used the machine much at all I was able to pay it off really fast with some jobs I got lucky on so I only put around 150-200 hours on it and most of those were in the summer and the gauge always came up some so I figured everything was okay never thought about it but I will be using it more nowadays again. I can try another thermostat and take out and inspect the one I put it but I highly doubt it's that I looked at the seal really good when I put it in and it wasn't loose. Old one wasn't stuck open or damaged at all either

Johndeere120

I ordered one but it's still cold I felt all the hoses so the gun was probably a waste of my money. It's not possible that the engine engine running up to temp and the gauge is wrong. The gauge COULD be wrong but it's still not getting warm plus there's no heat

Vetech63

There could be no heat for multiple other reasons. Touching hoses is not a good gauge of temperature. The only way I know of for an engine to not create the needed heat with a new thermostat is either the coolant is bypassing through a bypass hose somewhere, no thermostat installed, the engine is incapable of creating the heat, or a mismatch of component parts.

Johndeere120

I got the gun coming today so tomorrow or Monday whenever I'm back I'll take some shots and see what's going on but i think it's the bypass valve. John deere claims a stuck open bypass valve can cause low temperatures but I'll take shots first before I do that it's over 300 bucks for a little valve

Shimmy1

I got the gun coming today so tomorrow or Monday whenever I'm back I'll take some shots and see what's going on but i think it's the bypass valve. John deere claims a stuck open bypass valve can cause low temperatures but I'll take shots first before I do that it's over 300 bucks for a little valve
Couldn't you just block it off to test? Take one hose off, plug it, put another short chunk with a plug on that fitting and see??

I've gotten faulty thermostats, if it's not hard to change I'd run to Napa and grab another, hopefully a 195° or even 210° if they have that option.

Otherwise, like Ve says, get a gun to it when it's as warm as it can get and see what it says.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I see several different part numbers listed for 310J thermostats but none have any temperature details listed. You need to look at the temperature stamp on the thermostat or it's package to see what you installed and ask a parts department if there are any temperature alternatives or options.

On an unrelated note my JD 4310 Compact Utility Tractor has a 160 degree thermostat with no option for a warmer one. It is open station so I have no reason to circumvent the factory design but I find it unusual. When I called a JD parts department they could tell me what temperature the thermostat was rated at even though it didn't list that info in the online parts listing.