• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy this CASE 450 need advice

dstanek

Looking at buying this dozer and need some advice. I have no experience with dozers other than what I've been reading and studying on the web... I think it's a plain 450, it was painted so couldn't tell for sure. Went and looked at it. Undercarriage seemed pretty good. Good sprockets pads pins and rollers. Starts good no either, steers and operates good as i can tell. Ran it for about 20 minutes, oil pressure was just under 40lbs on the gauge from beginning to end for the time I ran it. The concerns i have are these. Made awful lot of clacking noise from engine area at idle. Couldnt tell where or what it was coming from. Went away after engine revved up but comes back at lower rpm. Engine is leaking/dripping coolant around water pump seal. Bad water pump maybe making the clacking noise?? I can fix that if it is... I couldn't tell where from engine it was making that noise. Could have been somewhere in front middle or back of engine. All sounded the same to me. Smokes a bit while running. I've seen smokers much worse. Not black but like worn engine smoke. Engine sounded good when revved up (no clacking or couldn't here over the higher engine rpm) Last and biggest concern was jb weld on block. See pic. He is asking 5k for it. I want one for my 40acre farm. Hobby use. Not going to work the hell out of it. U can see the jb weld patch below in pics. Should i stay away or buy with assumption ill have to braze it up later? Is this a rod blown through the block or water freeze crack? Advice please. This dozer has a 6 way blade. One hydraulic cylinder needs rebuilt on it. I really liked this dozer other than the things I listed here as concerns. thanks

Attachments

• CASE 450 JB WELD.png
    CASE 450 JB WELD.png
    443 KB · Views: 36
  • CASE 450 PIC 2.png
    CASE 450 PIC 2.png
    477.8 KB · Views: 37

TravellingTec

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Don’t know whether this will help but maybe just check the front engine mount I know I fixed a few 450 c that the motor mount was gone and it was running steel on steel and made an awful noise at idle have a look at that

Welder Dave

The JB weld may be OK if nothing is leaking but you'd probably have to run the machine for a while at full operating temp. to see if it develops a leak. The seller can't play dumb about the JB epoxy on there. He needs to be straight up why it's there. If he can't give you a straight answer he's lying and you might be best to walk away. What else is he lying about? If it was a more minor freeze crack (none are really minor) and not a big hole in the block might not be that big of concern.

dstanek

I offered 3500 figuring the worse with doing engine rebuild. He said he had to have 4500. I passed. Thank you for the help and advise. Deep down i feel like im missing out on good deal but then again maybe not.