• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a log champ yarder, is this engine exportable?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Actually got the clearance today to bring it in about 10:00 this morning and then received a call at 2:30 this afternoon saying another guy had a signed purchase order on it Friday and he will have it funded tomorrow. We signed our purchase order for it on Monday so needless to say we are SOL.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
When signing on Monday, nobody informed you about the prior PO from Friday?
No they didn't and that's what was really weird but the more I find out about it there was a guy that rolled his 120 off of the low bed up there Tuesday and boogered it up really bad. Needs a boom and cab etc. He's allegedly the one that signed on Friday for this log champ. Seems a little fishy doesn't it?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
My guess is Great West is juicing this guy for an extra $100,000 or something to slip into their pocket all the while putting the grease to me since I'm just a lowly customer down here in the northwest not their neighbor in Canada

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
My guess is Great West is juicing this guy for an extra $100,000 or something to slip into their pocket all the while putting the grease to me since I'm just a lowly customer down here in the northwest not their neighbor in Canada
This does sound a little odd. It's the timing of transactions that's off to me.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
I know it doesn't sound fair and probably isn't but if a guy is regular good customer and the next fellow is a one time walk in most outfits will probably bend over backward to get their regular guy up and running with something. We always did that. I know it's not fair but look at it from the other side. If you were a regular and in a jam and they helped you out they would be the best guys in the world in your eyes and I bet your next piece of machinery would come out of their shop. I agree not very fair though. d.d.

Old Growth

No they didn't and that's what was really weird but the more I find out about it there was a guy that rolled his 120 off of the low bed up there Tuesday and boogered it up really bad. Needs a boom and cab etc. He's allegedly the one that signed on Friday for this log champ. Seems a little fishy doesn't it?
It’s who you know!
Must be nice!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
It’s who you know!
Must be nice!
That's all fine and dandy until a lawsuit comes down on them and unfortunately for them there's already enough evidence and enough witnesses that can corroborate the timelines and their violation of the purchase order. The owner of the yarder called me today and said the same thing.

That's the wonderful thing about age as it generally comes with wisdom. 20 years ago I would have crossed the border and handled it personally.

Now, I love to litigate.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I know it doesn't sound fair and probably isn't but if a guy is regular good customer and the next fellow is a one time walk in most outfits will probably bend over backward to get their regular guy up and running with something. We always did that. I know it's not fair but look at it from the other side. If you were a regular and in a jam and they helped you out they would be the best guys in the world in your eyes and I bet your next piece of machinery would come out of their shop. I agree not very fair though. d.d.
Well fair or not, it's illegal what they did. That's the reason you sign a purchase order, so we have first right of refusal.
I'm not going to let this one slide and they're going to feel the effects of it for sure.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Well fair or not, it's illegal what they did. That's the reason you sign a purchase order, so we have first right of refusal.
I'm not going to let this one slide and they're going to feel the effects of it for sure.
Really dumb question that only a Canadian could answer; is what they did illegal? It is here in the US, but what about Canada?

crane operator

I can't imagine the complications of cross border litigation. Surely there's some obscure fine print that gives them a way out of the deal in the paperwork? Especially if the other buyer's money cleared first.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just let it go and look for a different one? Is the equipment that rare? (I have no idea if its that rare, and I'm just curious)

I guess I'd rather let it go, and know that they aren't someone I want to do business with. Vs. if they called you today, and wanted to still go through with the deal? I don't know that I would want to still purchase from them after being jacked around.

So was this deal closer to a real estate transaction? Where there's earnest money put in, you sort your financing, and if another buyer shows up- you are supposed to get 24 hours to come up with the money or you lose it? Right of first refusal?

I'm not sure I've ever seen right of first refusal unless there's a healthy deposit involved.

I've had customers send me a PO when scheduling work, but I've never really looked at their paperwork. If the crane didn't get done on Monday for someone else, and they've booked for tuesday, it still isn't happening, regardless if they sent me a PO or not. I've never thought I could be sued to make the "deal" still happen.

So from the sellers side, they've got someone cross border who may have importation issues, and to their knowledge financing issues. (You hadn't given them any $$ and weren't sure you could get it across the border?). Vs. a in Canada deal with someone they know and is their customer? I don't know how all the paperwork looks, but as the seller I'm not sure I'm going with your offer.

But I could be persuaded the other way, if I had more info.

Either way, I'm glad you posted about it, I've always looked at both canadian and european cranes when the dollar exchange is in my favor, and I've always chickened out because I didn't want to deal with that much hassle, for the small money savings. I've imported parts before, that has always gone pretty well, but I've had the sellers deal with the cross border issues.

I've missed out on equipment before, and it sucks when you've got plans and this is a missing piece of the puzzle. And I think my crane equipment is a little more available and a lot less specialized than yarders. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The bottom line is the broker and the guy that is pulling the fast one with them have been stringing the owner of the machine along and jerking him around as well and now did it to me also.

There are no other log champ 550s for sale that are complete ready to go as a turnkey package like that one is. It's not for anything but the principle, I could mother#$?k them all day long but once they are served with legal paperwork they're going to know that they can't just go around skimming people like this to get an extra few dollars when the market is bad.

When the economy takes a downturn like it has this is when you really find out who the scum of the pond is.

THI

What are you thinking now? 124 or maybe a 355? Or try fighting this and maybe get the 550
The bottom line is the broker and the guy that is pulling the fast one with them have been stringing the owner of the machine along and jerking him around as well and now did it to me also.

There are no other log champ 550s for sale that are complete ready to go as a turnkey package like that one is. It's not for anything but the principle, I could mother#$?k them all day long but once they are served with legal paperwork they're going to know that they can't just go around skimming people like this to get an extra few dollars when the market is bad.

When the economy takes a downturn like it has this is when you really find out who the scum of the pond is.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
What are you thinking now? 124 or maybe a 355? Or try fighting this and maybe get the 550
I have two 124s lined up if this falls through. Also there is a new 650 log champ at AB equipment in New Zealand but that only has a tier 3 engine in it. Evidently they didn't have to have tier 4 final in their equipment down there in 2022.

The yarder is 1.9 million and I can get it a T4 c13 cat for $80,000 bucks so with transport and engine swap I would be in it probably 2 million bucks USD.

It's a pretty big decision to make but I'm definitely going to fight this deal on the log champ If for no or other reason but to make them miserable.

THI

I have two 124s lined up if this falls through. Also there is a new 650 log champ at AB equipment in New Zealand but that only has a tier 3 engine in it. Evidently they didn't have to have tier 4 final in their equipment down there in 2022.

The yarder is 1.9 million and I can get it a T4 c13 cat for $80,000 bucks so with transport and engine swap I would be in it probably 2 million bucks USD.

It's a pretty big decision to make but I'm definitely going to fight this deal on the log champ If for no or other reason but to make them mise
The 124 with the 60 series in NZ on Trade Me looked like a tidy machine. I think he is asking 1.9 Nz. With the exchange and some talks you might get a good deal. I am currently talking to Shaws about doing some work on a machine down there and sending it this way. Shipping is looking to be 60-70k US and I don’t think you could get better work for cheaper than what Shaws does with the strength of the currency exchange.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The 124 with the 60 series in NZ on Trade Me looked like a tidy machine. I think he is asking 1.9 Nz. With the exchange and some talks you might get a good deal. I am currently talking to Shaws about doing some work on a machine down there and sending it this way. Shipping is looking to be 60-70k US and I don’t think you could get better work for cheaper than what Shaws does with the strength of the currency exchange.
Dale Ewers owns the 124 you're speaking of on trade me, him and I are good friends and he absolutely would make me a good deal on it. What machine are you looking at that Jonny has?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Also the quote I got for shipping on an Active 60 three months ago was $29,000 from Auckland to the Port of Tacoma