• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for something new.

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
Hi everybody, I am looking for a new way. I have been running cranes for the last 30 years and I have had about all I can stand (I used to love it). I just got my CCO's and I'm good to go as far as running cranes. My problem is,... that the incompetency in the steel erection business is just way out of hand. I am sitting in a hotel in Radford VA right now, supossed to be working but it's raining. This job should have been done a week ago and here I sit because they have a cabinet builder running the steel erection. He knows nothing about this type of work and I get to pay for his inadequacy's buy having to work 7 days a week. I hate to gripe about my job but dang,... when do you say ENOUGH. At this point I have a pencil pushing, desk jocky with my destiny in his hands. I would really like to get out of this business all together but it's about all I know, (by that I mean cranes not the steel. I have done many different things with cranes) other than how to run my sawmill but that doesn't make near the money I need. If any of you have any ideas on a new way for an old crane operator to make a living Please,... help! I am tired of being nothing more than a number, to be sent where ever, to run what ever, for how ever long it takes. I want my life back, it just sucks that I have to drag up in order to get it back. I would love to be able to make it with my sawmill and work for myself. I am truely looking for your comments in hopes that someone can help me get my life back with out losing everything. Sorry for my rants, I am just looking for some hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Man your not the first and wont be the last to feel this way ..

Finish the job ..or get run off it ..what ever makes the most sense to you right now ..

write yourself a letter on your last day expressing your feeling's to yourself

then take two weeks of "me" time ...some beer's ,,some women ,what ever floats yer boat

Then after two weeks write another letter to yourself ..

two weeks later sit down and open the first letter ..then the second ..If you still feel that way ..then hang up your hook's ...Its time ..

Crane ops have been said to have the highest divorce rate of all the trades ..that in itself tells ya something ..

But from where Im sitting ..you just hit the wall ..and bottomed out ..shorter days,cold damp weather dosent help either ....

It gets better, always does ..

Best of luck ..

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
mammoet is looking for over 100 crane operators in canada. time to travel, eh!

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
I think thats a big part of the problem. He does say he's sitting in a hotel room ......... :beatsme

Traveling is the biggest part of it. I am tired of living out of a suitcase. I am married and got that way so I could sleep with my wife. when I started at this company 10 years ago, they didn't travel much at all. Don't get me wrong,... I am thankfull that I have a job. I just don't like the way it's being run now days. They have grown too big for my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:

chadjacobs

The problem is when your young and can travel around for the big $$$ you don't have the experience. When you do have the experience you don't want to travel!

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
Thats hitting the nail on the head!! That fits the bill.