• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking for long reach

Casetractorman

Occupation
Manager .. Monroe Tractor and Implement Co. Inc.
Gentlemen .. am considering converting my Case Hoe to a long reach machine .. lots of big dairies around here with large manure lagoons that are filled with sand and need dredging .. any reasonably priced solutions out there ?

RKO

Long Reach

There is a company L&G Products in Rock Creek, Minnesota that makes a stick that you can add to the end of your stick. Depending if it pins on and folds it's called an Add A Stick, or if it bolts on it's called Add a Boot.
I have had both and if you were just going to use it a few hours they are OK.

http://www.add-a-stick.net/

I sold them when I bought my second Long Stick. If you are going to do a lot of long reach work buy a "true long front" for your machine.
Do not buy one of the Korean or other cheap foreign made long fronts. They are junk. Cheap metal and they will crack and break after a few hours. Young and Peirce Pacific make good long fronts.

http://www.youngcorp.com/long_reach.shtml
http://www.piercepacific.com/material_handling/long_reach/
http://www.lemaconline.com/customizing/longreach.htm

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I would try looking at salvage yards. I am sure there would be something laying around used somewhere.

special tool

Leave those long reach booms alone.
They are made of mild steel and will crack apart in a few hours.

What model case excavator do you have???

MILD steel?
Are you saying that Cat makes these from mild steel????
That's what rebar is....are you sure?

Casetractorman

Occupation
Own a Case 9030B .. been a great machine

The long reach boom will be primarily used for digging sand out or manure lagoons so not much side stress ..

Why leave alone .. have you had bad experiences with long reach booms or only certain ones ?

excavator

I don't know what Case does on their long reachs but factory Deere/Hitachi long reach machines have additional valving in the pilot system that slows down the boom lower rate of travel. Years ago a local rental yard bought some long reach booms and put them on machines without the extra valving. If you can imagine being able to drop the boom at the same rate with the bucket 60 ft out as you can with it 30 ft out. And doing this on the dike of a lagoon makes for some interesting moves.

360joe

Should you get set up and to into this business be real careful that you don't slip in or topple into one of those lagoons some day. It happens and there cannot be much worse ways to go than being trapped in a cab and slowly drowning on slurry.

Casetractorman

Occupation
as for the drowning .. yeah that would be a sh......y way to go ..

didn't think about the valving but that does make sense .. good insight ..thanks

What about extra counterweight .. any thoughts ?

RKO

Long Reach

MILD steel?
Are you saying that Cat makes these from mild steel????
That's what rebar is....are you sure?

That is not a Cat built boom/stick. That boom is built in China or another third world country out of MILD steel. I have repair several of those booms and they are not worth buying. Once they start cracking/breaking there is no fixing them. Been down this road several times with guys, one ones that listened are happy and the ones that bought these booms/sticks are unhappy.

RKO

Own a Case 9030B .. been a great machine

The long reach boom will be primarily used for digging sand out or manure lagoons so not much side stress ..

Why leave alone .. have you had bad experiences with long reach booms or only certain ones ?

That is not a Cat built boom/stick. That boom is built in China or another third world country out of MILD steel. I have repair several of those booms and they are not worth buying. Once they start cracking/breaking there is no fixing them. Been down this road several times with guys, one ones that listened are happy and the ones that bought these booms/sticks are unhappy.

RKO

I don't know what Case does on their long reachs but factory Deere/Hitachi long reach machines have additional valving in the pilot system that slows down the boom lower rate of travel. Years ago a local rental yard bought some long reach booms and put them on machines without the extra valving. If you can imagine being able to drop the boom at the same rate with the bucket 60 ft out as you can with it 30 ft out. And doing this on the dike of a lagoon makes for some interesting moves.

Most factory excavators that have long reaches on them have a restrictor valve and/or pressure relief valve if the machine does not have a way to slow down the hydraulics and reduce pressure on it.

RKO

as for the drowning .. yeah that would be a sh......y way to go ..

didn't think about the valving but that does make sense .. good insight ..thanks

What about extra counterweight .. any thoughts ?

To use the machine properly you will need extra counter weight. Most mid size machines need about 2000 pounds of extra counter weight. I have just cut extra plates the size of the counter weight and bolted them to the top of the counter weight.

I also have moved the counter weight back two feet and did not add any extra counter weight. I build an extra fuel tank to fill in the two foot area. Not hard to do and it does not add any extra weight to the machine.

chris-law

why dont you just buy them direct from case , we have 2 case cx 210 and have had no problems that im aware of , think they are 2001 year .

rko , have you ever built a telescopic dipper, our local finning dealer says there would be too much stress.our 345 long reach has had an extra 2.5ton built into the boom and 1.5 into the stick extending it. surly if you were to keep the standard long reach boom saving 2.5 t and the extra 1.5 for the stick , you could build a good strong extending stick.

RKO

Never built an telescoping stick. I Did some research and ran some numbers and to build a telescoping stick the weight of the material would be more than building a Long front stick/boom. Wear factor was another reason I did not look into any more. The build cost of an telescoping stick, the operating cost and slow operating speed over a regular long front was more than any one would pay. The weight of a long front boom/stick is not that much more than a regular front. The long front is not designed to take the side/front load that a regular front will. Swing a long front in to a dirt pile and you will have pieces of a boom/stick. There is a very limited market for telescoping sticks on excavators. GradeAll and another company in Texas all ready are build telescoping type of machines and are declining in sales, So I really don't want to waste a lot of time on telescoping sticks.

robthespanners

send me your email addy mate, been to a breakers today and he had a long reach case in., not sure on the model but wasnt to big..
sure he can sort shipping for you as well

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
unemployed, bobcat for hire
last I went by tracey equipment they had a linkbelt long reach there, might want check that out[/I]