• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a good pen light

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
I have purchased various shirt pocket / pen style lights and forevermore have trouble with the switch going bad, or they stay on all the time, or you have to tap it against something to have it shine; yeah, even Snap -On selling Streamlight has not been OKay with me. Now I will admit, I could be more careful. But I am a guy, and I focus on work, not gentleness, so , any suggestions what You have found to hold up?
Hard-to-please in Southern California.......

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I had a mini Maglight for a while untill it was stolen . . . these are minature versions of the multicell police torches which I thought were made in the US.

They are very good and parts such as "o" rings, switches and so on are available.

Cheers.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hi Joel,

I hear you loud and clear, here is my solution and the best li'l pen light I have ever seen, owned or used. I keep it in my shirt pocket and mostly use it to check fluid levels in the dark AM. The LED Lenser P4BM, check one out the search eBay for a good price I don't think you'll be disappoined.

grandpa

I bought a Leatherman Wave multi-tool two years ago,,,, it came with a small light that fit into the leatherman holster.... best little bugger i've ever had.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
I use the "larry light". It has a clip, a magnet on the clip, and 4-5 bright LED's. I paid $9.00 for. It looks similar to the EZ -Red one for almost double the price. Have had good luck so far.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hi grandpa,

I have one of those too, great little light isn't it. Also, Leatherman markets LED Lenser products under their own brand...

I bought a Leatherman Wave multi-tool two years ago,,,, it came with a small light that fit into the leatherman holster.... best little bugger i've ever had.

Ncso935

I can't believe that the streamlight can't hang. I've got several and I'm very hard on them all. After watching that video for the "Larry" I'm going to find one tomorrow.

Graham1

Four sevens preon 2 is an excelent light. Good run time, three brightness settings and pretty tough. I put mine through the washing machine in my overalls pocket the other day and only realised when it came on. Took it out when cycle finished and left it on side to dry - still works fine, just cleaner than before. http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Preon

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I use the streamlight AAA, get them off a guy on ebay for a fraction of the cost what the Snap-On guy wanted. The new style ones with the flay type LED are even better than the old ones.

Yes, it doesn't hand but I normally end up with it hanging out of my mouth as I work anyway.

If you have to work in the dark the LED Lenser is hard bet for compact light to go on a hard hat

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Slidey,

Best LED light to go on a hardhat that I've found and use is the Princeton Tec EOS Industrial, extremely bright with respectable endurance.

I use the streamlight AAA, get them off a guy on ebay for a fraction of the cost what the Snap-On guy wanted. The new style ones with the flay type LED are even better than the old ones.

Yes, it doesn't hand but I normally end up with it hanging out of my mouth as I work anyway.

If you have to work in the dark the LED Lenser is hard bet for compact light to go on a hard hat

norite

My favourite is a mini mag lite with led bulb. I know its not a pen light but I carry one around with me all the time. Battery life is amazing compared to the old mini mag bulbs on the standard light.

Ncso935

For an everyday carry, that is not a pen type, but is super bright, rechargeable, compact and super durable, there is the Streamlight Strion LED. But like Norite said above, about the mini mag, this is definitely not a pen light either.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I bought an energizer pen light at Home Depot for $6.97 and have carried it for two years now. Love it. I have beat the crap out of it and it keeps going.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Have to agree with caterpillermech, I have tried lots of flash light over the years and found the energizer hard case 2AA light to be a good buy. Did like the streamlight 4AA LED, but the switch doesn't last, warrenty replaced them till the local store quit dealing with them, then had to mail it off (waste of time) worst was the mag LED 2AA, works ok when batteries are fresh but goes down hill fast, having hi/low and blink features realy suck and not always an easy one hand operation to turn on/off and rolls away. have two years on the energizer with no issues.

Randy88

I hate to admit this, but mine is a catapillar light, not sure who makes it for them, but they are nice, work fine, but are 25 bucks each.

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
My choice was a P4 ledlenser.com , got one off ebay for 22 something includes shipping and a nice box and batteries. Same company that makes leathermans, German technology.
Thanks everyone