• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a good older dozer.

Lapatra172

I'm looking for an older dozer to use for farm and some excavation work. I want to clean brush, clear roads and hedgerows etc. maybe some larger excavation. I have a case 9010b and a ck35 rubber track skid loader with a brush rake grapple. I was looking at older D6 machines or maybe a newer D4h high track. I like those machines and I feel they are tried and true. They are also on the more $$$ side. I just found a 74 int. T20 on my local Craigslist and wondered what you guys thought about these machines. Also I believe bein a 74 it would be a td20 not a t is this correct? Ill try to attach some pics I the add. I believe the machine could be bought for less than $10,000. I have not looked at it in person yet. What should I look for or watch for? Thanks image.jpgimage.jpg

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
That V8 is also expensive and difficult to work on. I am getting out of the business and have a good CAt D7E here. She is a good strong machine with power shift, hydraulic blade and a cable unit to pull pan if desired.

Oxbow

If you could find a D6D (4X prefix) that was running well and had some undercarriage left it would likely last you for years. The 3306 engine is reliable and very common in a number of applications, the tractor is easy to move, and it would likely do everything that you wanted it to do.

Lapatra172

Thanks for the input. What are the big differences between the B,C and D cats? I have found 2 D6B's in my area. Also found a 62 D8H cable blade 50%UC sierial number 46a04664 power shift. Asking price is $1400 I'm a little scared if something that old. I know sometimes you can do the same amount of work with a newer smaller machine than you can with some of the old giants due to speed.

Lapatra172

Thanks for the input. What are the big differences between the B,C and D cats? I have found 2 D6B's in my area. Also found a 62 D8H cable blade 50%UC sierial number 46a04664 power shift. Asking price is $1400 I'm a little scared if something that old. I know sometimes you can do the same amount of work with a newer smaller machine than you can with some of the old giants due to speed.

Iwegian

I am also new to this but from what I understand in searching is a D6B is not much different than the later D6-9U's it will be non turbo, gear drive, dry brakes and steering clutches. it will have a oil bath main clutch. I think there could be some transmission differences but not sure about that. The D6B basicly turned into the D5 and could be had with powershift.

D6C's gained a lot in size were all wet brakes and steering clutches and there were several serial number breaks mostly on engine horse power with the D6c 10K serial the most powerful at 140 hp.

Not sure about D6D as they were out of my price range but I don't think they changed drastically. I was looking really for a d5b as they upgraded to wet brakes but ended up with a D6c. Happy hunting and hope I am on the mark. Dave

Oxbow

I have run a number of old tractors including 2U D8's that were cable, but I was not aware that they made a 46A with a cable dozer, winches to pull a can, but not the dozer. Is it a front mounted winch? If memory serves, the 35A D8H was a torque converter driven tractor that used the diesel fuel from the fuel tank for converter fluid, great to run in the winter but running in the summer, especially when the fuel was low, was miserable. The 36A D8H was direct drive, and the 46A powershift.

46A's are probably the most popular tractor ever built. Replacement parts would be very easy to find, and I suspect it is worth well more than $1400 just for scrap. If the tractor you are looking at has a gas pony motor for starting it can be easily converted to direct electric starting, although the pony motors were great in the winter as you could turn the diesel over for some time and warm up the oil before actually firing the big engine.

If you ever worked on much of a sidehill you wanted to put a couple gallons overfull in the transmission or they would kick out of gear. As I recall, the transmission was prone to leaking into the finals also. No big deal for casual use, just be sure to drain excess oil from the finals occasionally.

I have run 9U D6's, both cable and hydraulic dozer, but have no experience with the D6B (37A and 44A I think). Track adjustment on the 9U requires a big wrench and some ballast. If they are maintained and cleaned occasionally they are not too bad. The 46A will have hydraulic (grease fitting) track adjustment.

On any of the old tractors, as well as new, track adjustment is important for good track wear, and high speed reverse should be avoided.

Cable dozers are not bad at all to run once you get used to them and learn about their idiosyncrasies. Perhaps I am preaching to the choir, but if you have not run one there are a couple of things to know. Try not to drop the dozer all at once until it hits the ground as this will cause problems with cable spooling. Keep the clutches and brake adjusted well, and NEVER, NEVER climb under the dozer when it is raised. Obviously the amount of down pressure you have is limited to the weight of the dozer, but if you encounter hard ground you can usually build yourself a bit of a mound to back one track onto and get started with the corner bit. This is much preferable to getting off and manually tilting the dozer.

Thanks to all for enduring my ramblings here, the subject has brought back a bunch of memories (most of them good!)

Oxbow

I have run a number of old tractors including 2U D8's that were cable, but I was not aware that they made a 46A with a cable dozer, winches to pull a can, but not the dozer. Is it a front mounted winch? If memory serves, the 35A D8H was a torque converter driven tractor that used the diesel fuel from the fuel tank for converter fluid, great to run in the winter but running in the summer, especially when the fuel was low, was miserable. The 36A D8H was direct drive, and the 46A powershift.

46A's are probably the most popular tractor ever built. Replacement parts would be very easy to find, and I suspect it is worth well more than $1400 just for scrap. If the tractor you are looking at has a gas pony motor for starting it can be easily converted to direct electric starting, although the pony motors were great in the winter as you could turn the diesel over for some time and warm up the oil before actually firing the big engine.

If you ever worked on much of a sidehill you wanted to put a couple gallons overfull in the transmission or they would kick out of gear. As I recall, the transmission was prone to leaking into the finals also. No big deal for casual use, just be sure to drain excess oil from the finals occasionally.

I have run 9U D6's, both cable and hydraulic dozer, but have no experience with the D6B (37A and 44A I think). Track adjustment on the 9U requires a big wrench and some ballast. If they are maintained and cleaned occasionally they are not too bad. The 46A will have hydraulic (grease fitting) track adjustment.

On any of the old tractors, as well as new, track adjustment is important for good track wear, and high speed reverse should be avoided.

Cable dozers are not bad at all to run once you get used to them and learn about their idiosyncrasies. Perhaps I am preaching to the choir, but if you have not run one there are a couple of things to know. Try not to drop the dozer all at once until it hits the ground as this will cause problems with cable spooling. Keep the clutches and brake adjusted well, and NEVER, NEVER climb under the dozer when it is raised. Obviously the amount of down pressure you have is limited to the weight of the dozer, but if you encounter hard ground you can usually build yourself a bit of a mound to back one track onto and get started with the corner bit. This is much preferable to getting off and manually tilting the dozer.

Thanks to all for enduring my ramblings here, the subject has brought back a bunch of memories (most of them good!)

oldirt

any old tractor will come to you with a lot of repair work needed immediately. They didn't quit using it for a reason. If you want a project that will end up with a tractor you can depend on look for as nice a 6D as you can find, then prepare yourself to spend a lot of quality time in the shop (or in the field under a tarp) with it and your tools. A D will have better cooling than any C, combined (power boosted) steering clutch/brakes, pretty decent rops cab (but still really loud), agile, powerful enough for just about any job, and you can drag it around with a two axle trailer.

parts availability is paramount with any old tractor and D6 parts can be found cheaply everywhere. remember, there will not be any "good, cheap" old tractors for sale. good luck..

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Old Dozer

There is one on this forum, he's an Admin....Oh No...wait!...thats right, Sorry, He's an Old Digger not an old Dozer. My Bad:pointhead

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
There is one on this forum, he's an Admin....Oh No...wait!...thats right, Sorry, He's an Old Digger not an old Dozer. My Bad:pointhead

That's ok, Squizzy. I understand the basis of your confusion. I'm sure you frequently find people dozing off when you begin talking.... :sleeping

:tong

Lapatra172

Ok thanks for input guys. Ill keep looking around. I may just rent a newer D6 and get some of tasks out of the way.(a full cab machine wouldn't be bad now that it's winter anyway) then ill have more time to look and maybe find a deal. I agree with you guys, you get what you pay for. The money saved on the machine will most likely be spent on parts.

hardtail

The first machine you posted looks like a TD20C or E but I don't think the E's were being made yet if it's a 74? That engine is a V800, they only used them in those 2 models and then went to Cummins power. They are getting hard to find parts for and are very costly to rebuild but they worked out well for IH in a crawler, the large 4wd ag tractors used that engine also but the governed speed was much higher and they had some issues in that environment and application. Generally the entire C line of IH crawlers were some of their best but like all things that was a long time ago now and the lineup has changed ownership a few times.......parts are probably starting to become a problem.......it would be D7 equivalent sizing, the powershift and steering was a nice operating feature, could probably repower to later Cummins easier than fixing the old..........does it move and operate OK?

Rightside rail looks a bit slack and that one has a bulldozer instead of a bullgrader which would be better for roadbuilding and dirtwork than brush......

Last edited:

Lapatra172

Thanks for the info. I have not yet looked at the machine in person. I'm hoping to shortly. What is the difference between bulldozer and bullgrader? Are there any things to look for on these machines other than the normal UC wear?

hardtail

Bullgrader the blade angles, better for brushing and clearing, bulldozer (see it has tilt) is better for dirtwork and building grades.......

I would maybe pull an oil sample given those engines expense, run it through it's speeds, forward, reverse and turns and try a stall test holding the brakes to check the temp........sometimes they work ok cold and then the issues show up when they get warm or work on a grade.........