• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a case xt

Dlc2cg5

Occupation
Retired
I want a different skid steer. I have a NH lx485 but grew up, so to speak, on a case 1840 years ago. I bought the 485 because at the time needed the short cab height in order to get into a storage building. Now that isn't so important and besides my knees just kill me after a couple of hours running foot controls.
I need to bigger machine that has the power to move dirt now but can't justify a new machine and so wondering which xt case would fit that bill for me? I sure miss the self leveling bucket of the old 1840 but have learned to compensate for that now. Would be interested in remote hydraulics, two speed travel, and lots of power. Any suggestions on which xt I should look for? Thanks!

Jeepwalker

I was going to say 90XT too. Big machine. Not a ton of electronics, basic enough to be reliable. It's an industrial machine you probably won't outgrow. You can get them with the big wide floaty tires too! Otherwise, a 75XT is a pretty decent size machine and a lot more of them out there.

Also, consider something like a Gehl 5635. Hand controls, low profile side arms, reliable, also not a lot of electronics, plentiful to find used.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Jeepwalker

Or, you could find a good used Case 1845C. Still a lot of them out there with reasonable hours but they lack the 2-spd and hydraulics options.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have never owned a 90XT but have had two 95XT's. They don't make machines that HD anymore. Big power, powerful hydraulics, and weigh a lot. If you don't want a machine that large, my next suggestion would be a 440. These are smaller than the 90XT/450, same dimensions as a 70XT, but has two speed, same 90 hp power spec (however different motor than 90/95XT) just in a smaller package. Really a great machine, it was pound for pound the most powerful machine on the market at the time.

Dlc2cg5

Occupation
Retired
Interesting you suggest that newer style machine as I just looked at a 430 series 3 at a local Bobcat dealers. It is probably a better choice for me for a number of reasons. It a high hour machine and needs pins and bosses and tires but is in my budget range. It would be a ton lighter than a 90xt but almost the same power.

Jeepwalker

430 would be a good machine, little longer wheelbase which can't hurt, big but not overly huge or heavy. Don't underestimate the costs of pins/bushings. Last I priced up some it was around $1,500 or so, but maybe you only need a few. Getting new tires give you a chance to get exactly what you need. If you get it, shoot us some pictures!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If you can find a 440 it makes more power than the 430. I don't think the 430 had a turbo. Other than that they are the same machine. The series 3 machines are highly sought after. They had pilot controls where the first series 400 were servo, it is a very good servo but not as nice as pilots. The series 3 came out during the down turn of the late 2000. There are not a lot of them out there.

Dlc2cg5

Occupation
Retired
I traded today for a high hour 430 series 3. It does have a turbo and so only time will tell what kind of a great deal I made today. I know it needs pins and bosses and new tires but what else remains to be seen. Does it come standard with two speed travel? I couldn't get the toggle switch to work so who knows what's up with that. Looking forward to getting it home and pulling belly pans and tipping cab and washing so I can see just how bad it really looks!

I still have to make a deal on trading tracks for it. If it has so much power and I run tracks will it fill a material bucket with dirt? Construction friend of mine says it will not just a low pro dirt bucket.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
They must have added a turbo to the series 3, the series one was NA. Two speed was an option not standard, so whether or not you have ride control and two speed will depend on the machine.