• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at old backhoes

Jshopes81

The Ford looks like it is in much better shape, at least in the pictures. It is less money, and comes with a 12 inch trenching bucket as well. I would buy the Ford. Just my 2 cents. If you do buy it and don't need the trenching bucket, I would be interested in purchasing it from you.

Good luck!
Theyve both got trenching buckets, the one for the case just isnt shown. I do think the ford looks better cared for, the case sat from 2011 or so until 2 years ago when husband 2 got the injector pump rebuilt. As far as pricing, theyre going to end up about the same.

Welder Dave

I don't understand how you can ask 10K for a machine but can't even put a $100 seat in it. It's one of those things you instantly notice and sticks out like a sore thumb. All the cylinders could need repacking which could cost well over $1000 and potential buyers will figure they're easy enough to fix but a bad seat can be a deal breaker.

Welder Dave

If they can't do something simple like replacing the seat, god only knows how much maintainence was neglected.

DaveA

So many questions. Are you a mechanic? Owning an old backhoe is a very iffy proposition. Lots of hidden problems can lurk in the darkness. That fact coupled with the problem of dishonest sellers equals "caveat emptor" big time. Do you have a way to move a backhoe? I've noticed that a lot of folks don't realize how heavy these machines can get. Do you have any heavy equipment dealers near you? Getting parts can be real tough on older machines. My closest dealer is JD at 30 miles away. I own a JD. What is your budget? A 70s model 4500 backhoe is nowhere near a 2000ish full size backhoe in capability. For me, I would rent new instead of buying a 40 year old backhoe.
I agree If you are just using it for a few weeks. Renting might be the way to go. the old backhoes are hard to find parts for. The gray haired guys that give tech support are not on the net. I've lived thought the hard to find parts with 2 allis loader backhoes, and a IH loader backhoe. Stick with case, Ford, Deere or JCB. Look for ones that are made for the taske . lot of the older ones are farm tractor conversions. If yo are looking at one. See if you can get transmision parts, shuttle parts along with hydroulic pump parts.

Jshopes81

If they can't do something simple like replacing the seat, god only knows how much maintainence was neglected.
I was more concerned with the amount of blowby on the case. My seat on my john deere isnt in that condition, but the tractor doesnt look great, but i keep up on my maintenance well ahead of time on everything, i just cant hold a seat against the guy.

Jshopes81

I agree If you are just using it for a few weeks. Renting might be the way to go. the old backhoes are hard to find parts for. The gray haired guys that give tech support are not on the net. I've lived thought the hard to find parts with 2 allis loader backhoes, and a IH loader backhoe. Stick with case, Ford, Deere or JCB. Look for ones that are made for the taske . lot of the older ones are farm tractor conversions. If yo are looking at one. See if you can get transmision parts, shuttle parts along with hydroulic pump parts.

Im pretty much looking exclusively at case and ford/nh. The parts availability seems to be the best for those two brands, at least in this area. I thought about renting, but for the price of a rental, if i do my due diligence and get a machine thats decent mechanically, i should be able to resell for what i buy for or close. I also dont work a regular 9-5, or anywhere close. I want something to have at the house i can use when i feel like it.

Welder Dave

I don't know but looks like it could be another case of looking at things with rose colored glasses. The seat isn't even the original. It's a generic seat that's probably about $100. You have to remember the machine was left there. It could need a lot of work. Buying a less expensive machine and then hoping to recover the cost later is a huge gamble that usually doesn't pay off.

Jshopes81

I don't know but looks like it could be another case of looking at things with rose colored glasses. The seat isn't even the original. It's a generic seat that's probably about $100. You have to remember the machine was left there. It could need a lot of work. Buying a less expensive machine and then hoping to recover the cost later is a huge gamble that usually doesn't pay off.
Ya, tax return time is just around the corner. Thatll up the budget and work is looking to be pretty steady this year. I would have made a killing in 2020 if job prices and job bonus werent so effected by the rona. Hopefully oil prices will stabilize now that weve got a vaccine and people start burning gas again. Im not greedy, i dont want 150/bbl, but 50 hurts.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Make sure I will say this again make sure if you get a Ford 4500 you double check the power steering, may seem like it has it when empty but when you got a load on the front it's not going to be pretty.
Mine I didn't realize had the lines removed for what reason I don't know but for $3000 it was cheap, now I'm possibly going to have to replace or rebuild the power steering ram due to rain that possibly ruined it and possibly the pump since it may be the reason it went out. Trying to find parts for the power steering or the hydraulic ram is going to be next nothing.
After this past week of moving dirt for a RV pad across 22.5 acres I'm sore, got any idea how much a yard of wet clay weighs combined with driving up and down steep hills!!!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't understand how you can ask 10K for a machine but can't even put a $100 seat in it. It's one of those things you instantly notice and sticks out like a sore thumb. All the cylinders could need repacking which could cost well over $1000 and potential buyers will figure they're easy enough to fix but a bad seat can be a deal breaker.
I don't know. I no longer need or want something, I sell it. Where did we get to the place where a 40 year old tractor has to be totally restored to sell it.

A nice backhoe new might cost $120,000.
Why is it a crime to offer it for 8% of its replacement value with a ratty seat? If you don't want it with a ratty seat, don't buy it. The seller hasn't cheated you selling it with a worn seat.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dealers often freshen up a tractor, get more for it. Private sellers don't always do so for their own reasons. It isn't always easy to replace a seat. Once I find a suitable seat, I have to build mounting for it. A dealer supplied correct seat can cost thousands.
I did have an upholsterer, did a few for me, she retired.

Welder Dave

The seat in question was generic like you'd find in a farm supply store for about $100. It could add at least $1000 to the sellers pocket.

Delmer

The other side of the coin, that seat is like lipstick on a pig, if they don't fix the leaks, change the oil (filter from the Clinton administration), or get it to start right, why would you pay more for one with a good seat? might as well spray paint over the rust and grease.

Welder Dave

That's why it makes you wonder if the seat is a $100 fix, what else is really wrong with it? The asking price started off at 10K.

chroniekon

Mine had a bad seat on it when I bought it. Not only was the seat upholstery portion torn up, the pedestal was all loose and wobbly. I had just reupholstered by boat, so had some leftover material to make a new one. Welded up some the broken metal around the pedestal. It made for good weekend project on a new to me backhoe.