• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at dump trucks again, single axle vs tandem

MG84

Yeah the interior is in excellent shape, needs nothing. Truck has A/C but the belt is off the compressor, will look into that at some point but not a priority in our climate.

IceHole

Found a set of Cummins shop manuals for the L10 on ebay, actually covered all the models I listed. Includes both a shop manual and a troubleshooting/electrical diagnoses manual.

So I've been mistakenly calling the truck a L9000, (as does everyone selling them) turns out it's an LT9000. The truck is at the glass shop for a new windshield and the one they ordered didn't fit. Apparently the LT/LTL take a different, shorter, and gasketed vs glued windshield than the L9000. Ran the vin, sure enough LT9000. I'm sure some of you probably caught that mistake just by looking at the picture

The transmission is a 9spd Road Ranger, not a 9LL. There is only one selection in the low gear vs 2 or 3 in the 8LL/9LL. Both Low gear and reverse are pretty deep however, should be good for my needs. When I get the truck back I'll post up a new thread with all the specs, pics and repairs/modifications.
L9000 is a smaller truck. Gvwr of around 15 tons
Lt9000 is around 30 tons

Was also LL, LTL, LTA, LA and maybe a few more I can't remember

Truck Shop

Yep. My L9000 is the same 18K front, 40K rears.
With Ford and depending on who the sales person was and who was spec'ing-that's correct
it could be just the L prefix and still have heavy specs. Some of it was in hood length for WB
based on it's use because the L series was extremely popular with inner city use because of
one huge item--Turning radius--Ford had it over most everyone in that department.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Other than my L9000 being slow and underpowered it's a great truck to from the cab perspective. Easy in and out with great visibility. I've thought about dropping a Detroit and HD 4560 in it, then it would be a perfect truck IMO anyways.

hseII

My buddy had one shortly after they were introduced and had nothing but trouble with it. Some electrical gremilin would make it shut down randomly and not restart. After two years of trips to the dealer and several lost loads of asphalt IH bought the truck back.
The DT530 P pump or E version?

MG84

Just doing a little pondering while I wait to the get truck on the road, trying to roughly figure how much I can haul. Virginia law is 20K on steer, 34K for tandems, but must follow bridge formula also. We can buy a 5% overload permit.

Any guess on empty weight ?
Actual wheelbase is 210" to center of tandems, maybe 236" for bridge formula?
16K steer axle (tires good for 9900lbs ea), 40K rears, GVWR 56,600
I think the bridge formula is going to be my limiting factor, free online calculator says I can gross 51,000, does that sound about right?

cfherrman

I drove a ford dump truck with a 3208, I think it was 22k empty, you will be a little more.

If there is a grain elevator you can weigh it

MG84

25K was my best guess, L10 is a little lighter than others but the 385 floats and 16' steel bed add a little. By the time I add the hitch and tool boxes that'll probably add another 500-1000lbs. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy the 5% overload permit to legally haul 14-15 tons. If I have the time I'll run by the quarry or the dump and weigh it next week.

skyking1

Fun times! Just roll on, look at the light weight and haul a paying load with it and don't look back. Good move on your part.
All I do after that is see where the weight wants to be. I have the 34K rule so depending on where that 16' box sits on the axles would set the load point for me.
I run my truck at 48K. If I get a load of Pea I can raise the box up and make it level, and it is 14/34 when stuff is even in the box. If I want to load more, then the typical corner bucket load takes care of that for me. The bump right behind the tower.
EDIT: you have the same 34K tandem rule in Virginia.
I looked at your truck picture. center/forward will probably work.
If you are concerned about manueverability and digging in, don't try to move much more than 12 tons with it. The front turns into a couple of Pizza Cutters.
Even if you drop a tag, when you come off road you pick it and there's the Pizza slicers again.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

These L series Fords came with 110,000 psi tensile strength frames as standard for mixers
& dumps. Allot of changes happened in the 1978 models as far as GVWR and stayed that
way for a long time. Ratings ran as high as 82,000 depending on axle, suspension spec'd.
Plus the engine options were vast for that time, NTC 270,290,300,350,400. KT450,KTA525,
KTA600, All Detroit two strokes, Cat 3406A's & B's in a variety of HP. And any gear box you
wanted. Standard steer axles offered 16 & 20K. Twin steer boxes were optional in some cases.
Drive axles rated up to 65,000 at the time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That is a nice, well taken care of 321B. When were the B's produced late '90's into early 2000's? I bought a new 315CL in 2004 and it was a C model.