• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at buying '86 JD310, Advice?

machineman

I might be looking at a JD310 next week. Its a 1986 with refurbished trans and comes with 3 buckets. The hour meter doesn't work. Guy wants $10,500. Are there any known problems I should look for on this model?

Thanks..

machineman

OK so I got this thing but its a JD 310D. However I'm not sure of the year. Can anyone identify this year? It looks more like a mid 80's 310B but the chassis tag says 310D. Its also a 3cyl.

Attachments

• Backhoe DSC02370 (Small).JPG
    Backhoe DSC02370 (Small).JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,402
Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had an '81 410 that looked identical, only with an EROPS. I think the only difference between the 310 and 410 was the 4 cylinder engine in the 410.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That does look older than an '86...........it seems as though they had changed the styles by then and gone to the rounded cab etc.
One company I worked for had both the 410 and 510 of that vintage and they looked pretty old to me in '88.
I know that the 510 depended on the engine being running for the brakes to work so if that is the case with yours don't run it out of fuel while dumping stone in the trench.:)Maybe Steve can add to this tale but I would want to know for sure.
They were both good backhoes and did a lot of work for us but were still a little clumsey compared to the later models,especially the 510.Ron G

machineman

Looking at machinery trader it looks like a 310B. Looks like 86 was the last year for B and 87 was a C. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...dl=310B&guid=65CDE07F57704719B3839A9439916064

Thats what I think it is too but the 310B has a 4 cylinder according to these specs and mine is a 3cyl.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/docs1/noncurrent_backhoes.html

Next time I go to the site I'm gonna take a closer look at the the chassis tag and the engine model.

Mike J

I downloaded those specs a couple of weeks ago and noticed it says 4 cyl. The farmer that rents land at my grandparents place had a 310B pushing back some brush along the field and i walked past to check it out and i thought it was a 3 cyl but didn't look real close then i went home and looked at those specs and saw 4cyl. I say it was a 310B cause thats what was painted on the side.

coopers

I personally would love to see that thing go off a cliff. That just looks like a horribly designed backhoe (sorry to be so blunt). If you're going with an 80's year machine why not go with Case. They were much more compact than that thing is and everything about them was nice.

Blake
WA

machineman

I personally would love to see that thing go off a cliff. That just looks like a horribly designed backhoe (sorry to be so blunt). If you're going with an 80's year machine why not go with Case. They were much more compact than that thing is and everything about them was nice.

Blake
WA

Yes its not my dream machine and a CASE would have been nice but there were other factors invloved such as cost and local availability. It will be re-sold in a couple years after the projects are complete. I think they improved that body style after '87.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
My dad has a 310 his is in the 80s your looks older than his. Maybe the difference is the 310 dad has is a full enclosed cab. The worst thing about the Deere backhoes in that year is the quad box transmission and the the clutch pedal.

I have ran both 310 and 410 in the same vintage the 410 was a little bigger it did have a 4 cylinder engine. The 410 had the same charistics of dads 310 which was a miserable sob to start they are ether pigs. If you have a weak battery forget about trying to start the Deeres. The battery is in a horrible hole in the floor and you have a heck of a time getting jumper cables on it.

The hoe on dads machine is well worn it has a mind of its own I haven't run it in a long time. Another thing I didn't like was the tippy feeling of the deeres the 410 was the same. You get on any kind or slide slope your clenching the butt cheeks :eek:

If I had a choice in backhoes in that same vintage it would be Case.

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
An old case would beat a deere any day. I started off with a dynahoe, then got into case. I ran those things ragged and couldnt kill them. I'd have to give case a lot of credit, or grief for putting me where i am today

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I bought my 410 to build my home, then began using it for jobs here and there. I owned it for 10 years, probably put about 2000 hours on it in that time. Was it the best machine around? Not hardly. But it got every job I asked it to do done, and earned me some money besides. I took a lot of ribbing on how old the machine was, but whenever I asked if they would prefer my machine or a shovel to do their work, there was dead silence.

Sure there were better machines around, but this one was within my budget and in reasonably good condition. I imagine machineman faced the same decision when purchasing this machine.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Like they say anything is better than a shovel and wheel barrow.

The problem with dads deere is the injection pump is gone he took it off and he is going to send it to a injection pump shop. Once he has that fixed and two new tires he will bring it to the property I will get to practice with a worn out backhoe :roll

First will be getting used to running John Deere controls which are totally backwards for a person that is used to Cat controls :D