• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Oregon 60's 70's

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Finally got a rainy Sat morn so I scanned some more old photos from the past. This site was above Neskown, OR in the late 60's or early 70's. I was driving for W.E. McFarland at the time. The Washington 208 yarder was streched out close to 7000' on several of the roads they logged, they were using a helicopter to string hay-wire with on those road changes! Log loader was converted Bucyrse excavator with the frontend converted to a logger. Anyway nice big spruce, Hemlock and Fir.

Attachments

• 208 with my log in the choker...jpg
    208 with my log in the choker...jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4,394
  • BE trying to get a hold of it..jpg
    BE trying to get a hold of it..jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,257
  • Finally got it in the grapples..jpg
    Finally got it in the grapples..jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 4,226
  • Made it..jpg
    Made it..jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,474
  • headed for the mill..jpg
    headed for the mill..jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4,202

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Those were the good ole days, logs were actually logs, not the sticks we have nowadays.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Nice pictures, Big Iron.

Wolfcsm

Here is some Northwest stuff.

Hal

Attachments

• oldg.jpg
    oldg.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,683
  • Buckley Washington Log.jpg
    Buckley Washington Log.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,706
  • LogTrulg.gif
    LogTrulg.gif
    273.3 KB · Views: 3,736
  • redwood2.jpg
    redwood2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,795
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,703

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't seen anything that big since I before I was tall enough to reach the handle on my dad's pickup. They were mostly three log loads when I was in grade school.

There are some places that have a few big ones standing. They are mostly on the coast. A trip down the coast hiway, highway 101, will reward you with a small idea of what once was.

dundonrl

those are huge logs. any more trees like that up there?

being from western Oregon, I can show you plenty of trees like that.. here's the biggest one I know of, about 15 miles from where I grew up.

the top photo, where it's broken off is 5' in diameter...

DSC01202.jpg

Dsc01204.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

those are huge logs. any more trees like that up there?

Theres a whole bunch of logs like that still in humboldt county C.A. they're just in state parks so when they fall they just get to rot away or they burn down because the under brush is so thick because they have to keep the land natural for political reasons. What a waste of land and timber!!!

nedly05

Theres a whole bunch of logs like that still in humboldt county C.A. they're just in state parks so when they fall they just get to rot away or they burn down because the under brush is so thick because they have to keep the land natural for political reasons. What a waste of land and timber!!!

Same story for the Adirondack Park in sunny Norther NY!!

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Big Iron
love the R model mack.

spent a lot of hrs in that old girl 1965 RL700L, 335 Cummins opened up just a little, Mack Quadraplex, Mack rearends on rubber biscuits, Peerless trailer. She shined up real good, unfortunately on the Oregon coast with the rain it was a constant process keeping her that way.

Wylie5

Occupation
Weed Control Contractor
Re: Big Trees

It's been a long time cents I have seen some logs like that, In my home state of Tasmania, Australia I have seen some big trees lick that, one log loads, some of these big old blokes are still standing to day, in the South - West off Tasmania.

Great photos

Cheers Andrew.

Here is some Northwest stuff.

Hal

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
Big Iron I live in beaver and know ken fallen real will i have bilt and rocked roads for him ,and he is still going he just laid off one side.I got a old steam yarder out of thr woods just aver the hill from there and it is going in the logging musm.in feb.at brooks ore. i will post pic as soon as i can fig. out how to

Tomtj460

big tree in tasmania

Heres a good tree somebody found in Tasmania

Attachments

• styxtreesmall.jpg
    styxtreesmall.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 997