• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaded Tire ?

Diesel Dave

In the online version of the operators manual ,the last note with the double asterisks at the bottom of the page states ,
**These radial tire pressures are recommended for optimum traction and tire wear under typical conditions. If a higher rear tire pressure is used, it should not exceed the alternate pressure listed

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ok here it is again.
The book makes no reference to Bias or radial.
The book clearly lists recommended pressures for both types of tyres, bias-ply and radial, in that image.
Allow me to attempt to explain.
Loaders almost always use what are known as wide-base tyres. Squat and fat is probably the best way to describe them. What follows below refers only to wide-base tyres.

Bias-ply tyre sizes are written thus - 20.5 x 25, followed by the ply rating. In the three examples in the image below the first two 20.5 x 25 tyre types are 12-ply rating, the 3rd type is 16-ply rating.
Radial ply tyre sizes are written thus - 20.5R25, or alternatively 20.5R x 25, where the R in both cases denotes "radial construction". Radial tyres have a star rating for load carrying capacity as opposed to a ply rating which is why the illustration lists "1 Star" in the RH column rather than a ply rating.

So for a 20.5R25 L2 or L3 one-star radial tyre the recommended pressures are 30/25 Front/Rear or alternatively 30/30

upload_2023-1-7_21-5-49.png

Last edited:

James S Coad

Nige, thanks for your expertise.
So are you telling me that 45 psi all four then isn't correct, and I should go 30/ 30 front and rear ?
Since I'm by no means an expert as I'm sure you can tell, please advise me
Thanks again,
James

James S Coad

Might I ask you this question?
I've owned this machine now for over a decade, have never had any tire issues until last month. Right front came off rim. My fault not watching .
I then checked all the other tires for pressure, they were all relatively around 40 psi.
Haven't had any other issues, so would running them 40 harm the machine or the tire?

James

Welder Dave

I thought the new tires are bias ply not radial? Interesting is in the manual for my grader the tire pressure is listed as 35 psi for bias or radial. I adapted foam filled tires on the back so I'm stuck with what they are. They work good so far which is a relief. It cost a bunch to adapt them but I'm very pleased with the results. I haven't took it down the road in top gear though. Curious how foam filled tires ride on a loader? I think all 4 tires would be filled the same.

James S Coad

Welder Dave, thanks for input.
Having those tires foam filled seems like a solid idea, mind I ask how much it set you back ? I live in Alaska, things are way more expensive here then in the lower 48

James

Welder Dave

There are different durometer's of foam fill that affect how rough or smooth the ride is. I bought the foam filled tires and rims at an auction for $2750cad. They were new. I didn't realize they were foam filled when I bought them but made adapters to fit them on the grader. New import bias ply tires would have cost $3000 plus the costs to change them out. The best I can figure is new equivalent Goodyear radials like I bought with new rims foam filled would be around $18,000cad. I haven't noticed any bouncing or rough ride but I haven't gone down the road at top speed. The tires do squat some. Foam filled tires aren't nearly as rough a ride as solid tires. Some people like foam filled tires and some don't. I don't think they ride as rough as some people think. I'd have to run 2 similar loaders to be able to give a proper assesment of foam filled vs air filled. On a grader I think having tandem axles helps limit how rough the ride would be.

Welder Dave

I was very glad I didn't have anything noticeably different once I mounted the foam filled tires. I would have mentioned it if I had so someone else wouldn't try the same thing. Like I said earlier I don't think a grader would be the best machine to compare foam vs air filled tires. Going down the road at 25 MPH might have a different outcome.