• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lisence for a tandem dump truck ????

Madman

I only have my class 5 here in NS ( for a passenger car/light truck ) but I want to get lisenced for a tandem dump truck. I think I need a class 3. I also know I have to write a test for the air brake endorsment part of it. Any info.:beatsme

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
You need your cdl permit, then you need to get a class b license with airbrakes.

Prairie Dog

I'm in SK, but I would suggest going to a trucking school if you can afford it. Get your class 1a even if you don't need it right now. The test is exactly the same other than pulling a trailer. It also comes in handy for other things. If you are pulling a trailer with GVW any higher than 9999# you require a class 1(yes that includes utility trailers). It might even make a difference on your wage with your employer.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Hi Madman hows the course?

Class 3 is pretty basic in my opinion if your going for the truck license its just as simple to go all out and get the class 1 to get it over with and make it look better in your resume.Since your also just starting out it'll look better to an employer to hire you and may also get you a few more $$ per hour and who can argue with that? ;) .

I've tryed so hard to stay away from my class 3 since I would hate driving truck but I may just have to go get it since it was the main reason I didn't get a 2nd interview with my local city's works dept :(

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
I know the Atlantic Transport Training Academy offers private class 3 training, and you are billed by the hour (I Think) and training is around 20hrs of seat time before you go for the road test, in the end it will cost about $800 to get your class 3 with the academy (if you pass). I see your in Nova Scotia so you could check with the Commercial Saftey College, they are pretty good from what I hear.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
license for tandem

I'd go for the highest class that you'd be able to get a truck for the road test for. If you had the ability, I'd get your permit, those are normally only written tests. Then if you could I'd go and find a company or friend that will let you drive and haul stuff. That way you can get some real time behind the wheel and learn how to handle a truck right. Most of the school trained driver's that I have delt with didn't really learn anything. After the company I worked for hired them we basically had to teach them all over again and that was kinda like :Banghead

thejdman04

I agree get a class A all your endorsments, makes you more valuable, able to find some winter jobs(if you get laid off etc). Not to take away from schools, never been to one, but no school will teach you how to drive a truck, deal w/the idiots on the road, or all the sutuations (and how to get out of them) youll encounter in a dump truck. get on the job, learn what you can along the way