• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liebherr R984C excavator

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Well I'm sorry fellers, but I have to disagree with all the theories on why Liebherr mount the rams upside down. I have known Liebherr's workshop manager here in Adelaide for many years and his team assemble the big diggers working here in the mines in South Australia. I asked him why they mounted the rams that way, after this question was raised in a previous post.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=8092
His reply was that they mount the rams that way because it is much simpler to run the hydraulic lines to the rams from the top with all the other hydraulic lines, otherwise they would have to bring more lines out underneath the machine.

Rn'R.

Tex3406

Rn'R, I agree with you. I have worked on Liebherr 996 diggers and this is the logical reason for the boom cylinders to be the way they are. The hoses on these machines are huge and so routing has to be as simple as possible.

cat 385

this was one at conexpo.i cant remember the size though.

Attachments

• 1000309_309_058.jpg
    1000309_309_058.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 1000307_307_056.jpg
    1000307_307_056.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,305

CAT992G

That job need' s more trucks, and larger ones , or a smaller excavator.

Mismatched equipment.

At this jobsite are 2 984C, 1 974B, 1 Cat 385C, 1 Hitachi Zx670 and smaller machines at work, + 50 articulated dump trucks.
They have done around 4-5 million cubic yards in 9 month with that equipment.;)

These company only uses that kind of trucks, because you can drive it on a lowboy and carry it to the next job over public streets. You cant do that with a Cat 773 truck for example...

3 pics of the second R984C, it has the older b-style cab, but its also a C-series machine

Attachments

• JR1.jpg
    JR1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,278
  • JR2.jpg
    JR2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,079
  • JR9.jpg
    JR9.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,421

Kenny R

AWESOME Shots CAT992G!!!:drinkup Keep us updated with pics from that project, sounds like they are moving quite a bit of earth:cool2

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Greedy boards on the vo-vos nice touch ,thought that was only an Iriosh thing

Northart

Mismatch ?

Hello 992G,

Still struck me as mismatch. Over here , moving big trucks , or any other oversize equipment is not a problem.

Yet, but I see, as we are building more and more overpasses, underpasses, that someday it will the way change the way things are done.

Thanks for the explanation.

CAT992G

The third 984C, loading 4 axle Mercedes Actros trucks.

Attachments

• JR8.jpg
    JR8.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • JR6.jpg
    JR6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,302
  • JR7.jpg
    JR7.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,205

redlaker1

Actually now that I think about it the rams would have a little more lifting power mounted this way as well as there would be a greater surface area for the hydraulic pressure to push on. With the cylinders mounted the other way when you are lifting the ram takes up part of your "pushing" area.

a hydraulic cylinder has more power extending than retracting, it doesnt matter which way it is oriented.

I would have thought it would be more advantageous to have the rods up farther and out of the way, less chance of them getting hit and chipped or scored. but that configuration makes their hose routing easier by the looks of it

that looks like about a 2 bucket fill into that mercedes

Last edited:

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
you know i still dont get it those piston on the boom are wide open for damage great machine to operate and good on fuel

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
=D I need to stop posting right after work

Yeah the chains prevent material buildup in the bucket. Sweet idea!

CAT992G

New R984C in a quarry, sorry no action pics...;)

Attachments

• 984C-1.jpg
    984C-1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 759
  • 984C-2.jpg
    984C-2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,196

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
With all that machine has going for it, is it me or do the tracks look tiny?

XCAV8R

Occupation
Owner of McDaniel Excavating
My Terex was set up like that as well. For a little machine it had tons of power! Refering to the cylinders being inverted, must be a German thing.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
With all that machine has going for it, is it me or do the tracks look tiny?

Those excavators don't need wide shoes for flotation (unlike your average excavator) as they tend to be used in situations where there is a lot of rock to be shifted and weight, not flotation is the deciding factor.
Anything that will twist the shoes or chain is a no-no so, applying Caterpillars motto: "always use the narrowest shoe that will provide adequate traction and flotation".:drinkup