• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets discuss (fight, moan, argue semantics, cuss, etc......) oils

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I went to get Rotella T 15W40 last week and couldn't find it anywhere. All my oil sources didn't have any at all. The customer brought me out some Harvest King 15W40 he picked up from an Atwoods store for his machine. He said a 5 gallon bucket was $49.99 and he had been using it for years with no problems. He then told me that the name brand oils were just overpriced due to fancy advertising and packaging. He bought it and I put it in his engine...........and I made a note on his repair and service invoice of that fact.;)
Cover 6 pay 0. I like that.

ianjoub

I had a 3.0l V6 ranger, changed oil every 3k. It still came out clean at 228k. I now have a Expedition at 246k. Oil changed every 3k. It comes out clean as well. Might have wasted money but it seems like cheap insurance to me. I have Amalie 5w20 synthetic blend in my bulk tank still. I paid $5.39/gal for it and $2.29 per filter. Oil changes under $10 seem like a no brainer.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'll take some with butter and a sprinkle of garlic salt, OH and how about a good IPA?

Honest lawyer
Clean hooker
Bigfoot
unicorn
Good IPA

Heart of Lothien, Lothien is a town in Scotland, Heart of Lothien from Drop In Brewery, Middlebury VT is the best beer in the world. It's dark, flavorful, full bodied.

Jonas302

I dont think I have ever changed a Mack with less than 30000 miles on the oil last one we sold had 1.7 on all original engine

all detroits get 15/40

I never pay for rotella

oil changes are not cheap if you think they are you need to check your numbers necessary yes cheap no and don't provide insurance of anything

the more you fiddle with something the more likely you are to have trouble

alright that enough ammunition for you guys :)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Everyone ran Delo around here. Even the Cat dealer selling Cat branded oil was getting Delo in the bulk tanks. Had one outfit running Rimula for a awhile in a lot of old junk. Lost a couple of engines and switched over to Delo. Big outfit south of here ran Delvac for awhile and figured they had problems on some rebuilt Cummins engines. Blamed the oil and switched to something else. As far as I care, if it has the right petroleum ratings, I don't care a lick about the name on the label.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Cuttin Edge,

“Not sure about oil, but I work with a few guys that never shower. They might change their filter.....”

I resemble that remark.

I’m just a dirty ol’e mechanic, sometimes I don’t shower. I wear FR coveralls and make money by the hour!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
C80CE6A0-168E-4DB7-90F1-3397B922A570.jpeg You guys remember all the Delo advertisements when Ice Road Truckers was a big deal?

Larry Frazier was a colleague of mine at Carlile Transportation. He received a lot of friendly ribbing over his picture and endorsement plastered all over. RIP, Larry. The cancer got him in 17.

56wrench

I usually go by what the engine/vehicle manufacturer recommends for interval and API rating as well as viscosity and it also depends on the application. But that being said, i don't agree with the outrageous oil change intervals on some newer engines. If my budget and margins were so thin that i couldn't justify regular oil changes and maintenance, then i would be in the wrong business. Just my opinion