• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

legal ??

skata

not too bad for a 5 year old machine hours wise.

from his first post:
bought a skidsteer with 962 hrs on it, had major mechanical failure 10 hrs later (972), another dealer ran the serial ## when i took it to get fixed and it came back with 1988 hrs a year and a half ago. so it has at least 3 times the hours that it was sold to me with.

1988+972= 2960 hours total possibly

surfer-joe

Generally speaking, the little diesels in a skid-steer are not worth repairing unless it is a relatively minor situation. Having to go into the engine will cost big bucks in labor, so it is usually better to just replace them with a new "crate" engine. With the crate engine you get a much better warranty, plus you know everything in it is new. It's also much faster to replace than to rebuild.

It sounds as tho the dealer is trying to make amends, but were I you, I'd insist on a new engine, at as much their expense as you can get.

As for buying used equipment, I always took my own oil samples if I could before buying. If I couldn't, then I did them immediately after getting the machine home to the yard. I never trusted the sellers samples, unless he had a long history of them with none missing towards the sale date. I also checked with the manufacturer's dealer for service data and hourmeter readings, anything they might have on hand. That's not hard these days, was difficult 20 years ago. Getting oil samples really saved my butt a couple of times. For a small contractor or equipment owner, paying 15 to 20 bucks for a sample is good insurance, and better proof.

Good Luck with this deal. Let us know how you come out. Keep the heat on your seller for relief!

OneWelder

Was there an add for this machine- if so what does it say?
If they Misrepresented the machine in add they could have a problem- just my uneducated opinion.

Mdwstsnow512

yes it had an add and yes it was misrepresented,

and surfer- i have def. learned a lesson.

so much for trusting a dealership

ill keep you all posted, i think i am not going to except the offer. i want more. i dont trust them

thanks
Nate

RamDodge

Occupation
Wheel loader operator
I'm not sure how you like the idea of turning wrenches yourself? A friend of mine got himself in an almost simmilar situation with a used dump truck. Had it for a few weeks when it toasted a piston (air cooled Deutz V10) The shop "fixed" it and two hour after we picked it up from their shop it seized up on us. Got into a heated discussion that didn't help when we did some investigations and found a lot of shavings in the oilfilters. A mechanic confessed that they forgot to change oil and filters after the "rebuild" So after a lot of forth and back my friend settled for a 50/50 break kind of deal. He was responsible for the cost of work and the shop would supply all parts for a total rebuild (a new engine was too expensive for the dealer)

But we did something that caught them by surprise, we did the job our self. Since the shop and mechanics have showed themself unreliable about doing this kind of work we simply didn't trust them. So we showed up at their parts department with a huge list of wanted parts. Of course it got into a heated discussion again since the managers had in mind to first to make a buck from my friend by billing hours for the job and most likely by doing another hack job. Showed them the contract that my friend would pay for the work, but it didn't say wich to do the work. He just calmy replied that either give us all the parts we need or talk to my lawyer.
Well, we got all the parts we needed. After a complete tear down we cooked out the block in acid and almost all moving parts where put in new, I think we only turned the crank, but everything else where brand new. Took us a week doing this job on evenings. I'm sure it would have much cheaper for them buying a crate engine, but my friend got a cheap engine since he only had to pay me for the job.

So if you are comfortable doing this kind of work, try going this route, because then you know what has been done to the engine, most likely they will just ship you a crate engine instead.
Ans as some other have mentioned, sell it off ASAP and get another one with a known history.

Last edited: