• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

learning how to doze

03warrior

last company I worked for I just sat back and watched the head dozer operator do his work. I learned alot by just watching his technic. And also asking him question's. I had the basic's down but he helped me refine them. Of all machines he helped me with was one of there d8'. I would follow him around and cleanup his spoils and when he felt that I had a good grasp on things he let me go and take care of other stuff that needed to be done. It did help that they both had gps on them so I knew were everything was as far as structures and curb line. One thing to tell new guys is take time and go slow a first. The old tortuse and hare thing ya know.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
When I am interviewing someone who "claims" to be an operator I give them a big round granite boulder to push around with a D# Cat and 6 way blade.:pointheadPush it 100 feet and don't loose it or have to back up and reset will get my attention. After that let them try it in the dirt. Oh ya, if they tell you that doing the boulder trick is stupid and dosen't prove anything tell them to exit stage left the same way they came in.:Banghead:ban

special tool

When I am interviewing someone who "claims" to be an operator I give them a big round granite boulder to push around with a D# Cat and 6 way blade.:pointheadPush it 100 feet and don't loose it or have to back up and reset will get my attention. After that let them try it in the dirt. Oh ya, if they tell you that doing the boulder trick is stupid and dosen't prove anything tell them to exit stage left the same way they came in.:Banghead:ban

Do you really do this?
Any videos?

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Uuhh what man? What slop?

We had the woman that would clear a haul road from the wet puss clay that trucks just spin on, down to good material, then backdrag the slop right on the haul road! The first time she did this, we had a broker in a semi dump rock box. He started backing down this haul road beside some R X R Tracks and was stopped by his trailer sinking over his super singles! He was mad and cussing and yelling at her to clear the road. I finally had the chance t talk to her and explain that the slop had to be moved off the haul road! :Banghead However it was to no avail. This woman was the poster child to "God were the drugs of the 70's good"! :duh

The second time she was keeping a different haul road open for about 7 trucks in a light rain. Again she would push the slop off, :pointhead and then backdrag it right back on the road! She NEVER got the concept to keep the slop off the road! We were spinning our wheels annd getting madder with each trip to the dump site! :confused:

Mind you her spreading of the puss clay slop looked good enought to seed!:beatsme Just don't walk out there because you will be looking for your boots!:deadhorse

Last edited:

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
:Banghead
To Specialtool,

Yes, I do it. Really seperates the "blowhards" from the operators.

"blowhards":ban

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Specialtool again,

No videos. Wish I did. Some of these guys are a real laugh to watch. Trying to teach some of them how to shoot grade with a lazer can be a real laugh too. Or as I say, they may be able to dig but can't excavate or they can push dirt but can't grade.