• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leaking Hydrolic Pump?

Pauly17

I'm looking at purchasing a Cat 325CL and it has hydraulic fluid leaking out of the pump area somewhere. Cant be real sure where unless it's cleaned and ran. My question will the main pump start leaking if it's on its way out? Or do you think this just a leak that can be easily taken care of? I know it's hard to say but the guy selling it says he bought it that way and it never bothered anything.. Another words no help. I't didn't look like it was coming from and hose lines or fittings either... Any help would be appreciated.. TIA

Paul

Midnightmoon

Could be the pump seal, oring on a fitting going into pump, loose fitting, it's not likely the pump is cracked but I would take a close look at it and throw a gauge on it before I bought it. Pay a road tech to look machine over for you

Pauly17

The only way it would be the pump is if had a crack in it? I'll take a closer look but I didn't see anything standing out. I have a pressure gauge I can hook to it to check it also. I just don't want to spend the $$ on this and have to get a pump also

John C.

How many hours are on the unit. The case halves are sealed with O rings which get hard from heat and time. Rubber parts are usually good for about 6 to 8 thousand hours when worked within their design parameters. Over heat them and the life is significantly shortened. Anything over those hours and you should have an expectation of external leaks on any hydraulic machine. Leaks on pumps though may indicate some hard use and likely a lack of maintenance.

Putting a gauge in the system won't tell you anything about leaks plus you can read the pressures from the monitor panel in the cab. You can pull information from the panel as well provided it hasn't been erased. Here is a video that shows you how to get into the diagnostics of the panel.

The C models used codes and a cryptic description. Post them up on here and someone will probably be able to tell you what they mean.

Pauly17

So am I looking at a new or rebuilt pump or is that something I can fix with replacing the O-rings? Thanks for you response

Midnightmoon

Checking pump pressure helps to rule out a bad pump if you were concerned with pump health. I dont trust display pump pressures if there is a pump issue and always double check with a gauge