• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Land Clearing Project

Metalman 55

20161014_124714.jpg20161014_124724.jpg20161014_130322.jpg20161014_134903.jpg

Here is a few pictures of a land clearing project we are working on for a local guy. We are using the home made root rate that we made last year, mounted on the D6C & the 318B Excavator to knock the trees down. The property owner had someone else in there first with a forestry head & they had left all the big trees standing. We are raking up what the forestry head left behind plus digging the stumps out that he left behind as well.

td25c

The rake sure turned out nice !

Looks better built than a factory unit .

Looks like it will come in handy dealing with the mulch & limbs left behind .

Metalman 55

20161015_092652.jpg20161015_092659.jpg20161015_094623.jpg20161015_094637.jpg

Here is a few more of the clearing project today. We are using the 318B to dig around the bigger trees a bit, then push them over. Could use a bigger excavator for this job, but this is what we have & it just takes a little longer........

td25c

Yeah Metalman , your excavator & dozer combination make a great team for projects like that .

Clearing for pasture or farm ground ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That is a very nice rake Metalman, nice job. :thumbsup

Could use a bigger excavator for this job, but this is what we have & it just takes a little longer........

Right on, as my tag line says - Take what you win, run what you brung.:drinkup

td25c

The dirt sure looks good & lays nice for cropping .

Almost looks like it was cleared in the past & let go back in forest , maybe 25 to 30 year growth on the trees ?

Metalman 55

The dirt sure looks good & lays nice for cropping .

Almost looks like it was cleared in the past & let go back in forest , maybe 25 to 30 year growth on the trees ?

I agree on the 25-30 yr dormancy, with the exception of some of the headlands where I would venture a guess that some of the oldest trees in there may be 80-100 years old, real hardwoods & up 60' + tall.

Our area generally speaking is "heavy clay", but will grow good crops if handled right they say. Lots of soya beans grown around here.

Metalman 55

That sure is a great looking rake. Looks as good or better than anything you can buy. Keep posting!

Thanks for the rake compliment........if anyone wants to build one, I have the drawing on file that I can send at no charge. I wonder when our valued friends from "Down Under" may chime in telling us it is just to narrow!!:D

JDOFMEMI

Nice that you have put that good looking rake to use. Looks like it works pretty good.

td25c

I agree on the 25-30 yr dormancy, with the exception of some of the headlands where I would venture a guess that some of the oldest trees in there may be 80-100 years old, real hardwoods & up 60' + tall.

Yeah , It's amazing how fast nature will take back formally clear ground .

If ya want to grow a forest all we have to do is quit mowing the grass and in a year or two tree saplings are starting up .

I got a small clearing gig to go to next week that's about 25 year growth . Customer wants to make pasture out of it .

ETMF 58 White

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Got a similar project going on here in the south clearing this jungle for a cattle farmer. Look how much poorer the soil looks on these sandy uplands. He will have to pour the chicken litter to it to establish a Bermuda pasture, but that is what a lot of these guys have plenty of.

td25c

Looking good ETMF !

Kind of the same way in my area . Got plenty of turkey & chicken litter to help on getting the green stuff growing in poor ground .

Hey , is the cutting edge on the V plow serrated ?

ETMF 58 White

Looking good ETMF !

Kind of the same way in my area . Got plenty of turkey & chicken litter to help on getting the green stuff growing in poor ground .

Hey , is the cutting edge on the V plow serrated ?

It looks just like this photo, which is a blade on a timber company dozer in this area. I re-cut my teeth this year to look like this and it is working real well. I will probably have to replace the knife blades after this season, or find another blade. This one is getting down to the minimum width to cut anything of decent size. Of course, it's not a D8, so I don't take jobs with big timber anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 423

td25c

That's interesting , imagine she cuts nice .

I had contemplated notching the edge on the K/G blade , the only drawback for me is once in a while catch or glance off a big rock in the ground .

Was afraid it might do more damage to the edge if notched so ended up leaving it smooth & just keep it sharp .

Last edited:

cannuck

Metalman: Read your fabrication link, thanks for writing that all up. What material did you use for the tynes and how is it holding up from abrasive wear? What wall thickness in the 6x6?

I am going to build one for my D5H, just hope it has enough weight and power to shove the rake through a foot of soil and roots. Have a 13' blade, so 15 tynes. Decided to put some teeth on to make it move more easily in the soil, so scored some nice little 30 degree chisel point and a 1.5" wide weld on adapter.