• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

La Crosse Trailer

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I bought a La Crosse trailer to haul my D2 on. It's about 8'6 wide. 10' long, and has a tilt deck, walking beam axle suspension, and a capacity of 15,000 pounds! It was made in the late 50's-60 by the style and looks of the thing.
I'd say cold war era because it looks like you could drop an A-bomb on it without hurting it much!
What I was wondering is, does anyone have any information on the manufacturer and/or sources of parts in case I need anything during it's refurbishing. If nothing else, I'm just curious to know about the company that made it. I can't seem to find anything on the net.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Alan627b@hotmail.com

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
In case you wondered what it looks like...got it for $500. Thank you to jeff Moyle!

Attachments

• DSC05054 (Small).JPG
    DSC05054 (Small).JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,787
  • DSC05055 (Small).JPG
    DSC05055 (Small).JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,751
  • DSC05056 (Small).JPG
    DSC05056 (Small).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,740
  • DSC05057 (Small).JPG
    DSC05057 (Small).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,732
  • DSC05058 (Small).JPG
    DSC05058 (Small).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,732

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
A few more...I'll bet those tires won't be cheap to replace!

Attachments

• DSC05061 (Small).JPG
    DSC05061 (Small).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,682
  • DSC05060 (Small).JPG
    DSC05060 (Small).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,661
  • DSC05059 (Small).JPG
    DSC05059 (Small).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,701

bigblueox

looks to me like those tires came off a house trailer. its been my experience that all trailer parts large and small can be had from granigers. not sure if you have one out your way but i'm sure they have an web address. i got bearings for an old vep-co pole trailer from them no probem

Northart

Tires ?

Hi Alan,

The tires are from Montgomery Ward , so that says a lot there, as to vintage.

The 7:00-7:50's x 20 are still available. Looks like the rims are from a Cat 212 grader front end. Different style lock ring though .

Nice stout trailer !:)

WIW

Can't give you a lot of information but it looks like your trailer was built when LaCrosse Trailers was still located in Lacrosse, WI. possibly the late 40's but more likely the 50's.

In the mid 60's if memory serves me correctly Wausau Iron Works located on West Street, near Marathon Park in Wausau, WI purchased LaCrosse Trailers and began manufacturing the trailers in Wausau. During that same time Wausau Iron Works was manufacturing snow plows, snow throwers and snow loaders. They also made a compactor much like a Bomag.

By the mid 70's they got out of the trailer business and became LOED Corporation that began making load handlers in addition to snow removal equipment. All the LaCrosse Trailer plans/documents were placed in a large walk-in safe and began gathering dust.

By the early 80's the foreign competition was taking it's toll and the unions were bleeding the company dry. In 1984 LOED Corporation ala Wausau Iron Works ceased to exist.

Prior to that Wausau Iron Works made steel bridges in the early part of the last century and the plant in the late 70's still had 'the pit' where the bridge sides could be lowered so workers wouldn't have to reach or stoop. It would always be at about waist/chest level.

td25c

I was going to start a new thread on Lacrosse lowboys For my buddy special tool but I see we already have one.Here is a picture of our Lacrosse lowboy hauling the 16-b Fiat-allis.It's a 1951 model lowboy and well built to say the least.I modified the goosneck a few years ago as it was short ,made for a single axil tractor.We can also pull it with the Kenworth wrecker.It's a dang good trailer that has stood the test of time.

Attachments

• Blair's Pictures-625.jpg
    Blair's Pictures-625.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Blair's Pictures-198.jpg
    Blair's Pictures-198.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Blair's Pictures-200.jpg
    Blair's Pictures-200.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,468

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
LaCross Lowboy's

We got a little more in common 25c:D

We run the same kind of trailer.

Here's mine.

It's 9'3" or 9'6" wide, I can't remember.

Attachments

• newpictures 307.jpg
    newpictures 307.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,159
  • newpictures 302.jpg
    newpictures 302.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,124
  • newpictures 311.jpg
    newpictures 311.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,131

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Hah--missed this old thread.I had a pintle eye 12 ton LaCrosse trailer,tilt deck,single axle,had huge tires I remember.I think it had some kind of vacuum type brakes,maybe air,it's been 34 years or so.Heavy as hell I remember,took my CDL test with it.I remember the inspector was bitchin to me cause it rode so hard and loud with no suspension and nothing on it. Funny.

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
Where do u find brakes for these things? My mechanic about crapped his pants when I showed him what I needed. The hubs say la crosse and the tires/ wheels r 9.00x15. Need s cam, slack adjusters, shoes and pads . Hate to upgrade axles just because brakes are hard to find ..... Any thoughts? It's a 35 ton lowboy. Thanks

td25c

Give these folks a shout illinoisboy www.brakesupply.com The brake shoes on my la crosse were the bolt on type pads so I use my old shoes & just buy the pads.Dont know about the S-cams but the slack adjusters ,bushings etc,are pretty standard.Mine dosent even have wheel seals,hub is filled with gun grease and fits with a close clearense whith a collar on the axil.Works fine.

Dualie

if all else fails you can get the shoes relined if you can find a shop that still does that sort of thing.

triehle

LaCrosse Trailer Company

I am the owner of the Wausau Iron Works Building in Wausau, WI I have the records, pictures and most importantly the Dies from 1912! I will be putting the pictures with the dies and blueprints(if I can find them) and will be offering them for sale.

Can't give you a lot of information but it looks like your trailer was built when LaCrosse Trailers was still located in Lacrosse, WI. possibly the late 40's but more likely the 50's.

In the mid 60's if memory serves me correctly Wausau Iron Works located on West Street, near Marathon Park in Wausau, WI purchased LaCrosse Trailers and began manufacturing the trailers in Wausau. During that same time Wausau Iron Works was manufacturing snow plows, snow throwers and snow loaders. They also made a compactor much like a Bomag.

By the mid 70's they got out of the trailer business and became LOED Corporation that began making load handlers in addition to snow removal equipment. All the LaCrosse Trailer plans/documents were placed in a large walk-in safe and began gathering dust.

By the early 80's the foreign competition was taking it's toll and the unions were bleeding the company dry. In 1984 LOED Corporation ala Wausau Iron Works ceased to exist.

Prior to that Wausau Iron Works made steel bridges in the early part of the last century and the plant in the late 70's still had 'the pit' where the bridge sides could be lowered so workers wouldn't have to reach or stoop. It would always be at about waist/chest level.

triehle

I am the owner of the Wausau Iron Works Building in Wausau, WI I have the records, pictures and most importantly the Dies from 1912! I will be putting the pictures with the dies and blueprints(if I can find them) and will be offering them for sale.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
That would be very cool to see when you get time to do it. Mine has been hauled to Kansas to a safe place. I hope to get to it someday!

carl66757

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I just bought a la Crosse tilt pintle hitch and the tag has a upside down 5, and a 3 on the weight... so I'm not sure if its a 13ton or 15ton? but other than the outdated everything the brakes are good and I'm thinking about building a gooseneck and lengthen it enough to put a fuel tank and tool box infront of the deck.