• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KX121-2 Final Drive Fixed!!

TCM

Good day all. I just repaired my final drive motor that was suffering from very low power and speed. The valve plate was scored up to .004" on either side of the openings. One thing I found was an incorrect spool installed and missing springs in the valve assembly. The spoole with the single posished mating surface is the incorrect part. I replaced the valve plate with a new Kubota part and I had to have the spoole made by a machinest to fit the valve body bore. Kubota only sells the Valve assembly. I put about an hour of operating time on the machine and so far it works as advertised by Kubota. This dissassembly, inspection and reassembly saved me 1000 dollars.:D I can t seem to add pics. If there is a moderator who would like to help that would be great.

Thanks

JDFire

Nice job! Were the missing springs and incorrect spool from a previous rebuild or did it come from the factory that way? I'm surprised Kubota wouldn't sell the spool separately.

TCM

According to the IPC the spool was incorrect and the springs were not there. I used the spool from the other drive as a pattern and the valve body for sizing for the machinest. I believe the drive motor in question was subject to a backyard tremclad overhaul. It sucks that Kubota wont sell the spool alone but there is good reason (s) for this. The repair manual measurements for this part are down to 4 decimal places ( spool to housing clearance .0003 max). So installing a new spool in a scored/damaged housing will not help. I took this rout because I thought it was worth a try for 300.00 dollars vs. 1200.00 at my local Kubota dealer. Im my experience manufactures ( of anything) will always want to sell the next higher assembly, its a throw away world and it's difficult to fix things without the parts.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Great job TCM! great when something like this works out!

hougie

Occupation
municipal worker
looks like you fix the same way as me beer, fix, beer, fix. keeps a guy nice and calm haha

kx91

Please tell me how to get the inspection plate (with the three plugs in it) off of this drive unit!! I have knocked the four pins in around the rim of the plate but still can not remove the plate.