• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu winch

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
A freind of mine has a D65 with winch .
I know very little about Komatsu gear but I think it is a Komatsu winch
The bearings suporting the pinion[[to bevel gear] has colaped.
My question is as such
Why is there a gear attached to to pinion ,which seems to connect [via hyd pump] with a long driveshaft ,driven from below the floorpan at rear and right side of engine
No dought there is a simple explanation,but has this old fool baffled.
regards

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Seems spline into rear of machine does not connect to anything.
D6 Merv says all komatsu's drive externally, and cannott understand why this shaft protudes into rear.???
Perhaps it can fit Caty etc ????
Regards

tctractors

On the D65's dash 8 tractors they had the oil clutch system fitted, the winch is driven from the back of the engine by a prop' shaft, this drives the main pinion and the clutch pump, its not uncommon to find the back bearing in the top drive case failed, but this can usualy be repaired easily often only needing a small collar machining up to re-locate the bearing, the winch shaft has to be fitted into the tractor first before fitting the winch to the back case, if you ever have to strip out the winch drums etc, start at the top of the winch removing the valve chest first, then the oil feed pipes etc that go into the drum ports, the oil levels on the winch are checked through perspex windows, these windows often get stained up making thing hard to detect the correct oil levels, the winch is about as good as it gets running very cool with great line pulland is probably the best Cable Control unit built

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Thanks tctractors

On this winch,the bearing have failed that support the pinion,
A heavy bearing near to pinion [and transfer gear ] and a very light neadle bearing at [spline end] of shaft ,which when mounted is inside rear tractor case.
My question is.
Why the splined shaft into afore mentioned case if it does not connect to anything . ????
PS
the pinion/transfer gear /and bevel gear are all damaged as a result of bearing failier.
Regards