• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC220-5 Priming required to start

d4dozer

Here is an interesting one, my PC 220-5 requires priming to start if left for more than a few days between starts.

When it needs priming, it will start as normal, run for about 10 seconds and then "run out of fuel" and stop. If the machine is used every day this problem does not occur - it starts and runs as normal. If the machine is left for 2 or 3 days or longer, then the priming scenario occurs.

It appears to take a bit longer to occur if the machine is parked on a slope with the "bum in the air".

I am going to fill the machine completely to the top of the fuel tank and keep the fuel level higher than fuel pump to see if it makes a difference, but there is obviously a problem with fuel leaking back into the tank and creating an air void hence the need to prime.

Has anyone else come across this sort off issue and have any advice to offer? Much appreciated cheers!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Put a kit into the lift pump, costs about 6 bucks. Fitting instructions come with the package.
What can happen is the nylon plungers in the pump get pitted and won't seat properly. Fuel can backflow when the engine is stopped or not lift the fuel to the injector pump.
Hope this helps.

d4dozer

Thanks Tones, do you know who sells the kit (Komatsu the obvious answer sells part by part here in Perth) I guess there is some one who sells the kits?

cheers

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Bosch kit # DGK 301-H comes w/ a new hand primer.. DGK301 is w/o the HP.
IF your getting the H & YOUR hand primer pump has an oring under it.. just use the copper gasket in the kit.
IF your getting the regular 301 just reuse the oring & hp..
BUT the hp's are known to suck air.. that's why they're replaced.. [hint]
WAS the filter screen dirty??

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
IF your getting the H & YOUR hand primer pump has an oring under it.. just use the copper gasket in the kit.
As above. Check online, Komatsu can be pretty hexie. The price I mentioned was for a DS 11 Scania engine which is about you should expect to pay.

d4dozer

Thanks for that, I take it your hint means buy the H kit.......