• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC 210 LC-6 Problems with Power Loss

oldhousehugger

Banjo bolt with strainer question.

Hi Grubber, it's great to hear you got it going.

I just need to remind you that the fuel filters are down stream of the strainer I spoke of in the earlier post. If the fuel filters are plugged then so is that strainer.

You will probably see it on a long travel up a hill.

Good Luck!

John C you wrote in 07 that the Komatsu engine on an excavator had a strainer in the "lower" inlet side of the lift pump. I have been having the same fuel starving, stalling issues with my little D20. When I took the big hex cap on the side of the lift pump off I got a glob of grit out along with the spring. Also the handpump seemed not to be getting very much supply even though the fuel was free flowing from the main fuel line.
If there is a strainer which clogs regularly, has anyone done one better and put in an inline sediment bowl and got rid of there strainer?
The problem there is space and accessability.
Is there a rebuild kit available for the lift pump and hand primer?
Old

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In line automotive style filters are made of paper and when water hits them they swell up and shut off the fuel. They don't work in equipment at all.

Dresser used to have one that was brass on the inside instead of paper. You might check with a Komatsu dealer.

Your D20 should have the strainer in the banjo that connects the suction hose fitting to the transfer pump.

Good Luck!

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
PC150-5 stalls in high only

Having a similar problem with a PC150-5.
It runs fine in every mode except high, which the boss likes to run all the time if possible. Machine is not showing any codes, otherwise operates fine.
Soon as you switch into high mode, the rpm goes up, then it acts like someone cut off the switch, it doesn't stumble or lug, it's like the engine completely shuts off, the rpm drops considerably, then surges up to high rpm again. Almost like an electronic speed governor is shutting the machine down, or some rpm sensor is freaking out at the high speed. Works fine in every other mode. Good power, no smoke, clean exhaust, normal operation. Except high mode.
Any ideas?
William from Georgia. :)

John C.

Occupation
Your description sounds like the throttle motor linkage is out of adjustment and pushing the lever on the governor too hard against the stop. The computer senses the amperage going up, because the motor is increasing power to reach high idle, and the black box cuts the movement back.

Turn the machine key on but do not start the engine. Have someone turn the throttle dial up in high mode while you watch the motor and governor. If it hits the stop and pulls back you know you have to adjust the linkage rods.

Good Luck!

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
Tried the fix today, shortened the throttle linkage about 3-4 threads.
Now the machine runs fine in high.
Not sure what happened to make this problem start though. Jam nut was tight and didn't see any mechanical damage.
Either way it worked like a charm.
Thank you so much for your advice,
William :)

John C.

Occupation
There might be a problem in the motor gear box. They use nylon gears in there and I've seen them jump a tooth. As I remember all the gears are keyed so you can't just take the box apart and time the gear so you are past the bad spot. You should be fine for quite awhile though as the overload function usually keeps the gear from being totally destroyed.

Glad to hear you fixed it.

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks again, will have to give the boss a heads up on the plastic gear.
These forums are such a great help - I take care of every piece of equipment we have, and its nearly impossible for one guy to have documentation and experience on 15 different brands/mfg of equipment both domestic and foreign. I can't imagine what the cost would have been to have the machine picked up and hauled to a dealer for repairs, when one simple adjustment someone here already knew how to do - put the machine back in service. We are having a very difficult time even staying in business (I'm a mechanic, so if the equipment gets sold or repo'd, I'm out of a job for sure) and the ability to do repairs like this without giving up and sending it to the dealer - is sometimes the difference in having a job and being unemployed. Thank you again for sharing your time and knowledge,
William :)

mrjoe72

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
hello john i have a problem similar to the one discribed here in this post ...its a komatsu pc200lc-6 ...starts and run fantastic ..after 5 or 10 min unit slow down and stops but the engine still runnig ok ..no respond on the joysticks but engine still ok and revup when joystick are applied ..do you think maybe its a fuel delivery problem ?? ..no black smoke at all when is running .,... please i need help i have the unit in the garage like 2 months and nothing ..i do everything possible with no positive results ...best regards joe gonzalez ..colombia south ameriica

John C.

Occupation
i could use a little more information on what is going on.

Are you saying the hydraulics quit working but the engine still runs properly? Did this start right away after you got it out or was it doing it before you put it in storage? Do you know if you have any fault codes on the monitor?

mrjoe72

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
ok heres the situation ..i check monitor no faulty codes , check all the filters and lines , check the little filter in the banjo bolt in the tranfer pump , i changed the self pressure reducing valve and pump merge divider for a new one , i change the cylinders seals , i check the control valve for debris . i polished the spools , i check the pilot selenoids for debris , i check the selenoids bank of 6 switches , dissasemble , clean , and change the accumulator , and nothing ..unit still working as is ...you start the engine , work for about 5 or 10 minutes then joystic stop to respond ..oh i forgot ..i check the switch for the ppc valve lock ..lines etc ..heeelpp

mrjoe72

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
one more thing ...maybe i did not explain very well ...im working in my garage this unit for two months ago to try to fix this problem ...im working in the unit ...since that

mrjoe72

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
heres the order when starts to fail ..first operation to satrt failing is the boom raise ..then arm in and out ..start to move slowly ..then bucket and swing very slow ...undercarriage is the last to fail and then no movm,ent at all ..but you can feel a slight movment in the boom and arm very slight ...