• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu Info?

jakesdad

I have been looking for a machine to fit my needs. I am a farmer looking for a machine to clean up some land. I found one today but I need some Information on it. I found a 1983 400 komatsu but it has some problems.The first Issue is the front Idler wheel on the track the bearing is out.How big of a job would it be to repair? And cost? Also the hydr seemed very jerky. Maybe because the filters need Replacing ? Or is there some suction screens to clean? The engine seems strong.The tracks and pins are good.IT has a 855 cummings.Uncarriage looks good.

sultan

If you ask the dealer, replacing the front idler bearing will cost more than what the machine's worth. You might be able to somehow locate a used part, and install it, but I have no idea on cost or effort. I'd avoid the machine for that. The older machines had somewhat jerky hydraulics, but if its excessively jerky it could be the screen, filters or the pilot system. Cummins engines are usually good.

What's your budget? I'd suggest saving $20k and looking for a good working CAT 235 or 225 or something similar. Those are very reliable machines with parts available on short notice, and plenty of used parts. If you're short on money, you can sell it after the work is done.

Last edited:

jakesdad

Thank you for the Info sultan. Iam looking for a used idler wheel just in case this one is toast.I have not commited to buying this machine yet.But Iam very impressed with the size. I have some huge cotton wood trees to handle.Do you know what the weight would be on the cat 235?

sultan

The CAT 235 is about the same size as the Komatsu, around 40 tons. Excavators are great for pushing trees and removing roots, but you have to be careful about trees falling the wrong way or bouncing back. Pulling roots is also a bit tricky because roots can break suddenly and fly back at you, so just be careful when using one for trees. You might find an affordable used idler, in which case you can consider the Komatsu it if you are being offered a very low price (under $8k or $9k?). Excavators are certainly very powerful machines that are very useful in a farm.

The 2xx CATs had less horsepower than today's machines (i.e. the CAT 235 had about 200hp while today's equivalent, the CAT 345DL has 380hp), so they were slower, but they had tons of power to dig through anything.

euc85

I have a kamatsu 400 and im pretty impressed with it. I dont have any problems gettin parts in Indiana. Its not bad doin the idler the wourst part is splittin the trackes. I put a master link on so i didnt have to use a pin press every time. The rest isnt that bad. I found a used idler for $500 an after market was $1200. U might check the filters if i dont change mine every couple hundred hrs i start having problems like that.

jakesdad

Hi euc85 thank you for the reply. Do you have trouble finding parts for your machine? I called for a idler today but had no luck finding one.I was told today this 400 is a older model it is a 400 -1 it has the cummings motor. What model is your machine? I called one wrecking yard they said they had some 400-3 s but no 400-1 s. One wrecking yard put the idler on the tracker hot line I hope I get some good news soon. I really like this machine.And it is close for me to get it trucked home. Trucking costs are high to move this machine around.

euc85

I havnt had many problems finding parts but mine is a 400-5. Have you checked with reco equipment they may be able to help. I get alot of mine there or at brandice.

sultan

I havnt had many problems finding parts but mine is a 400-5. Have you checked with reco equipment they may be able to help. I get alot of mine there or at brandice.

You can find parts more easily because its a much newer model (PC400-5). Its a major pain in the rear end to find parts for the PC400-1 in a timely manner. You can get parts for a PC400-5 in a couple of days usually, but the PC400-1 will often take weeks to find parts, especially if you're looking for used or rebuilt parts.

I'm not saying that the PC400-1 is a bad machine, but parts availability for it is not the same as that for newer models. The older Komatsu's reputation wasn't that great either. Their quality improved with the -5 and -6 models, and now the -7 and -8 models are right up there with the competition. I won't vouch for the -1 models like that.

If you like the machine, and the price is right, then by all means go ahead, but be prepared for occasional breakdowns and waits for parts. Its probably fine for occasional farm use.

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

Also worth bearing in mind is that Komatsu parts can be very steep and some things like starter, alternator which would normally be common items for other brands are not. Starter relay for a 300 (not the starter just the relay mounted on top of the starter solenoid) was quoted at $800.00+

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
You can find parts more easily because its a much newer model (PC400-5). Its a major pain in the rear end to find parts for the PC400-1 in a timely manner. You can get parts for a PC400-5 in a couple of days usually, but the PC400-1 will often take weeks to find parts, especially if you're looking for used or rebuilt parts.

I'm not saying that the PC400-1 is a bad machine, but parts availability for it is not the same as that for newer models. The older Komatsu's reputation wasn't that great either. Their quality improved with the -5 and -6 models, and now the -7 and -8 models are right up there with the competition. I won't vouch for the -1 models like that.

If you like the machine, and the price is right, then by all means go ahead, but be prepared for occasional breakdowns and waits for parts. Its probably fine for occasional farm use.

Komatsu has DOMINATED the excavator market since the introduction on the -5 machine. The REST of the competition is just catching up to Komatsu.

sultan

Komatsu has DOMINATED the excavator market since the introduction on the -5 machine. The REST of the competition is just catching up to Komatsu.

Yeah right. :bash I've seen a lot more busted Komatsus with just 12-15k hours than I've seen CATs or Deeeres or Hitachis. Komatsu's are very reliable when young, but to say that they totally dominate the market [in reliability or in popularity as you seem to be suggesting] and that that CAT, Deere, Hitachi, Volvo etc. couldn't compete is an enormous exaggeration and is completely absurd.

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I am not saying the other machines are not good machine, but the technollogy in the other machines have been a step behind Komatsu. Today they are very much equal. Every Mfg has their problems (Hitachi with drive motors recently). If you look at market share numbers in the US for the last 15- 20 years Komatsu will have a majority of the market share numbers. I can't imagine they are selling that many machines because they are junk or don't last. If you think Komatsu is second fiddle to Cat, Deere or Hitachi you need get out in the sun a little more.

sultan

If you look at market share numbers in the US for the last 15- 20 years Komatsu will have a majority of the market share numbers.

That is certainly not true. CAT is by far the most popular, followed by Deertachi (I combined them because they're the same). Komatsu is the third most popular.

Recent Komatsus are not bad machines, and they are often early adopters of new technologies (e.g. Hybrid excavators), but they don't dominate the market in any way. Technology and quality-wise, all major makes are about the same. I personally prefer CAT under 50 tons, and Deertachi over 50 tons. Others may prefer other makes (such as Komatsu).

If any make can be said to dominate the construction industry, it is CAT. It has a market share near 40% worldwide in excavators and loaders, and a near monopoly in dozers.