• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D57S-1 Head gasket seep

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Got the oil pump strainer off and undid the nuts on #2 cap. The cap is tight. Two of the bolts across diaganally from each other are not loose. Tapped it with little brass hammer but it won’t release. Am I missing something here. Thanks

James Sorochan

Occupation
Ok, I got two rod caps off. Just had to gently tap the bolts up with nut still on. Came off easy. Pics of #1 and #4 bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6968.jpeg
    IMG_6968.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Looking good, so far. Hopefully, there is a chance the crank is healthy.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Thanks Coaldust. The crank was new 4000 hours ago. Back in 1997 the engines was worked on by a local mechanic we knew. From what I remember he did the top end on plus low end bearings. 250 hours later the crank broke. He had to fix it again. I don’t believe he sent the crank in to be magnifluxed on the first go round. Sad story. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6970.jpeg
    IMG_6970.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6969.jpeg
    IMG_6969.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6971.jpeg
    IMG_6971.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20

James Sorochan

Occupation
Here are the bearing pics starting with #1.

Attachments

• IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6974.jpeg
    IMG_6974.jpeg
  • IMG_6975.jpeg
    IMG_6975.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6976.jpeg
    IMG_6976.jpeg

James Sorochan

Occupation
Pulled the valves out of the head today. Measured springs. They are within spec. Has anyone tried lapping the valves and seats with lapping compound or is it better to take the head into a machine shop?

Attachments

• IMG_6984.jpeg
    IMG_6984.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6985.jpeg
    IMG_6985.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6986.jpeg
    IMG_6986.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

James Sorochan

Occupation
What’s do you use for a flat edge for measuring the deck of the block? The steel in the pick is just done flat steel I use on the press so I don’t trust it.

Attachments

• IMG_6989.jpeg
    IMG_6989.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Truck Shop

s-l1600.jpg

Truck Shop

Pulled the valves out of the head today. Measured springs. They are within spec. Has anyone tried lapping the valves and seats with lapping compound or is it better to take the head into a machine shop?
Looking at the valve seats on exploded view-those are pretty rough-Springs are tested at
a certain height for pressure. Your into it--have it rebuilt.

tctractors

Forget the Block as you are opening a whole different can of worms chap, the block will be fine just clean it up some and leave alone, you need to find out about the bit/s you found in the sump, this engine is not a learner type motor to get a Merit Badge off as it's a Wrong U'n to begin with, the valve springs are heat coil speck with close coils to the head the engine needs careful and diligent process on all points, the valves can be re lapped with grinding paste but would possibly respond better with a seat cut, but find out the home of the Sump Shrapnel first, you might well end up hating the sight of this motor.

Truck Shop

The valves and seats are more than likely Stellite, when any pitting takes place in either
the seat or valve face it's tough to lap it out. Facing equipment is done with special
Stellite stones. Stellite is a hardened surface, I use to rebuild allot of John Deere heads,
I can tell you the seats and valves in those were harder than a whores heart. Very time
consuming because the stones were constantly needing dressed to keep seat & valve
face angles correct. Now days top shops have cutters for facing. It shouldn't cost a fortune
to clean the valves, check the guides, dress the seats & valves and surface grind.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Thanks tctractors and Truck Shop. I guess I better find out what that washer spacer is that I found in the pan. Maybe its was from the last time things were opened up back in 97. Machine shop didn't get back to me so probably won't hear anything till next week on the head.

tctractors

Don't waste any coins on this engine until you have properly assessed all the parts, I have already brought to the front that the Fan Club for these motors in the U.K. has no members, you are being a brave boy tackling the nasty things.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Still taking stuff apart. Made a puller for the liners and pulled one out. I haven’t figured out where that spacer washer came from yet. I will probably have it o pull the front cover off and take a look there.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16