• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehrings in the bush

acswan

some more

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,248
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,078

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
is that the "moss covered three handle family gredunza"? lol. always wounderd what that cat was operating, great pics acswan. hope you find more!

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
Great pics! This is a KH3D Shortwood Harvester. Real nice to come back after a couple of weeks to see some great new pics!

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
Sorry to drag up an old tread like this, but I thought some folks might be interested; I found a fella from the maritimes who used to own a couple of Koehring Feller Forwarders back in the 80's and 90's. He has posted some videos of them working on you tube.

His KFF working (http://youtu.be/VEKrj4SvR5s)

His K3FF working (http://youtu.be/SupCaJTGTYg)

His KFF and K3FF working together on the same block. This one is a continuation of the K3FF vid. (http://youtu.be/IyziE3okL2w)

And lastly-to show the scale of the machine here is a vid of them trying to haul the K3FF on a float (http://youtu.be/wITfIsqh-8Y)

Also, I have updated the flikr page as well (flikr.com/photos/koehring_guy)

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
I have also finally found and posted a video of a loader forwarder, and some loaders too!. the first part of the vid looks like it is in alberta, the second part, with the short wood loader is at the Mill in Dryden, On, and the 3rd part is out west some where too by the look of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bj9_Ya_G8A

pretty cool to see that loader forwarder rolling around with 15+ cd of trees on.

I also posted a video of a shortwood harvester. Pretty amazing considereing it was developed in the late 60's and early 70's. electric over hydraulic and largely automated. Pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzPk99D3dKk&feature=related

dirty4fun

Great videos of some really great machines, thanks fro sharing them. I had to watch them and a few more. It would be fun to see one in operation, probably then I would want to try and operate it, though.

Harry

It's a short-wood harvester. yes, that is a delimber on it and there is very little else I can tell you about it. Finding good (or any for that matter) information on it is darn near impossible. Baisically, all I know is that there were about 170-175 of them built between 1969 and 1975(ish) and that they were famous for big ruts. I would really like to find one some where; I've heard that there is one in new brunswick somewhere at a museum.
Also, they are freaking huge! as are all Koehring forestry machines.

any other pics would be welcomed!

That machine is in Boiestown New Brunswick at the forestry museum. NBIP use to own a bunch in the 70s and early 80s I remember going in the woods fishing with my old man at the time and watch them work. They where huge and made real big ruts and destroyed everything in their path. They where drained of their fluides and buried on site in the mid to late 80s, most of them behing the old Charlo mechanical camps they where called. But one was saved and sent to the museum. I thinks a private contractor also has one in Kedgwick NB.

furpo

Neat videos JR.

I am particularly fasinated by the short wood harvester. It would be a neat tool for our hardwood pulp blocks down here.

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
That machine is in Boiestown New Brunswick at the forestry museum. NBIP use to own a bunch in the 70s and early 80s I remember going in the woods fishing with my old man at the time and watch them work. They where huge and made real big ruts and destroyed everything in their path. They where drained of their fluides and buried on site in the mid to late 80s, most of them behing the old Charlo mechanical camps they where called. But one was saved and sent to the museum. I thinks a private contractor also has one in Kedgwick NB.

I have a photo of that machine shortly after it was placed there, as well as some of NBIP's other Koehrings on my flikr page. Interesting to hear that they were all buried, I wonder if there is much left of them.

Thanks there dirty4fun! happy to hear that the videos are appreciated.

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
Pretty good video there JR. What has happened to them now?

Thanks!

Koehring Waterous was purchased by Timberjack some time around '83, but continued to build their forestry machines till about '90. The company was then closed down. After the purchase of timberjack by John Deere later on, ALL of the Koehring files were brought to the dump.

Most of these machines are either being scrapped or sitting in in the back yards of the companies who used to run them.

The mill in Nackawick still uses a couple of Loader-Forwarders, but they have been re-lifed with komat'su upper structures. Also I am told there is either a short wood harvester or a feller-forwarder still working in and around Kedgwick, NB

JDOFMEMI

Seems a shame that they dumped all the files. It looks like they were the cutting edge of the day, and a lot of useful development knowledge sounds like it has been thrown out with the trash.
The machines in the 1977 video looked far advanced for the day. Maybe they were too far ahead of the materials and tech needed to be reliable?

I really liked the one that would gather a bunch of trees, then hand it to the processor for automated limbing, sizing, and loading, all while the operator gathered the next bunch.

furpo

A Koehring digger is still being run in the Wairarapa, New Zealand with a disk saw attachment for pruning shelter belts. I will try get some photos. Wont be getting any of it working. It is the type of machine that if you can see it going you are too close.

forester

Based upon talks of loggers who used them in Northern Ontario in the early 1980's they worked okay...but only okay.

Worked well on level ground, similar sized wood with lots of roads. Basically you laid your roads out to match one pass of the shortwood harvested, decked, turned around and went back. They were also really heavy machines so ground conditions became an issue if you weren't careful.

With the progress in harvester/forwarder technology and more effective cutting heads for bunchers the falling side of things was eclipsed as clients went for more versitile machines.

That's all second/third hand recollections though as they were gone from the woods by the time I started working. I do still see some Hood mobile slashers in use that were similar to some Koering products out there.

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
A Koehring digger is still being run in the Wairarapa, New Zealand with a disk saw attachment for pruning shelter belts. I will try get some photos. Wont be getting any of it working. It is the type of machine that if you can see it going you are too close.

That would be nice to see. There are a few koehring track machines still running, but there are not many.

Forester- yeah, that is the consensus I have heard from guys who remember them too, Big, bulky, and when they got stuck-yikes!

Those Hood slasher are still pretty popular around NW Ontario, my dad has owned 3 or 4 and is looking at another one, but they are not nearly as big as a Koehring. Good machines thos Hoods, but can be really bulky to move in the bush.

greggagne

does anyone have info/pics of a 6625 koehring log loader that had a Keto 500 harvester head installed on it? it used to belong to JB Leonard out of Chehalis WA.

thanks