• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring 666; operating weight?

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
Well even with google on my side, I still can't find out just how much this machine actually weighs when in operational condition. :rolleyes:

Was there a 666B or 666D introduced after the initial version?

Thanks!!

excavator

According to the Contractor's Hot Line Equipment Guide:
The 666 was made from 1967-74, weight was 79825 lbs w/ a D.D. 6V-71N
The 666D was made from 1974-77, weight was 87580 lbs w/a D.D. 8V-71N
The 666E was made from 1977-85, weight was 107600lbs w/a D.D. 6V-92T
Hope this helps you out.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Heavy, air assisted, lots of airline brakdowns....no feel in the controls, state of the art in the 80's. Other than that a joy to operate....jk

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
I think a 666D weighs more than that. WE had one, and with both the A & B counterweights and bucket removed, it weighed around 75,000. I know that because we had it weighed on the truck one time, and it grossed right around 115,000. The empty weight of the truck and trailer were 40,000. If I remember right, one counter weight was 15,000 and the other was 10,000. Not sure how much the bucket weighed, but I know it was more than a 580 case would pick up to load on the trailer, so probably at least another 5,000. That would add up to around 105,000.

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
Thanks for the info :)

So we're looking at a machine which weighs around the 50ton mark? Its hard to get a sense of scale from models of a beast like that.

Was there a hydraulic face shovel variant of the 666? I do know the smaller 466 had such a version.

Tony

I have a "breakdown book" published by Koehring for all the early model Koehring excavators. It gives the transport weights and such for all components, plus machine specs. The cover's a little tattered, but the book is all there. This is a fairly rare book and is hard to come by. I'd part with it for $100 if anyone's interested. I also have service manuals for all the old Koehring excavators from the 466D on up.

Email me if anyone is interested.

Tony

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
I have a "breakdown book" published by Koehring for all the early model Koehring excavators. It gives the transport weights and such for all components, plus machine specs. The cover's a little tattered, but the book is all there. This is a fairly rare book and is hard to come by. I'd part with it for $100 if anyone's interested. I also have service manuals for all the old Koehring excavators from the 466D on up.

Email me if anyone is interested.
Tony

I'd hang onto that book for a few more years, even now it could be worth alot more than $100. ;) Koehring brochures, sales material and operation/maintainence books are not all that easy to find. Its certainly part of the "classic" earthmoving era which alot of collectors are interested in so I wouldn't part with that breakdown book just yet!

I'm hoping to pick someone's brains again and ask to see if anyone knows the operational weight of the larger Koehring 1066 excavator? This too, probably had a shovel version but hopefully I will find out more about these older machines.

Thanks

Tony

Gavin,

I'm at work now. I will check the book when I get home and post the info. It should be in there.

Best,
Tony

bigduke

I just had a 1066D and had to scrap it, I ran it on ebay for about a year with very little interest for $10,000.00. The problem with these were they were very slow and I personally didn't care for the air over hydraulic. I think it weighed in at 147,000 pounds or so.

insleyboy

Occupation
466D Runs right about 60,000 lbs. Give or take. We had one at co. I worked for back in 1980. Called the guy who owned her. He gave me #s out of Parts book he still has! I liked that machine. It just needed a hug each day!

Last edited:

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
Nice to see this thread is still going. :)

What ever happened to Koehring in the end? Were they another company that was over-swamped with mass produced machines coming in from the Far East, or....? They seemed to be pretty advanced, and quick to realise the potential of mounting hydraulic rams in excavation machinery (like the Skooper range).

Charlie M

Here's mine:D

koehringyu2.png

insleyboy

Occupation
I wish I knew that answer as well Gavin. The 66 series machines burst on the scene around the mid 80's and before you know it Cat and Komatsu seemed to be everywhere Koehring used to be.They might have been a step slow to the advancements in design and as you said, the overseas market seemed to come here overnight. Shame really, cause I really enjoyed those machines. Oh by the way...hey Charlie. Is That 466 a bit heavy on that 2 axle lowboy?

Last edited:

Charlie M

Yes very heavy, I was told it was 20 to 22 ton but seemed like much more than that. We only hauled it a very short distance and not over 35 mph.