• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK60 Stepping motor

kp100

Occupation
semi retired
The stepping motor when it gets much below freezing continues to cycle and will not find the start position. Now that I have ruled out low voltage do you think it is a calibration issue compounded by the cold or is the motor just getting weak and the cold is enough to cause the problem.

Trying to decide whether to pay for a calibration or just to go ahead with a new motor. New motor will have to be calibrated also. 5000 Plus hours on the machine. Is this common to Kobelcos?

Thanks

Sirthor1881

How is the linkage from the stepping motor to the injection pump? If there is play and slop in the linkage, it will cause issues. There could be an issue with the small micro switches in the stepping motor. Just my suggestions maybe it'll help.

kp100

Occupation
semi retired
2 days ago at -10 the motor just cycled constant moving a little bit back and forth but never stopped or found the start position. Today at plus 5 it cycled once and stopped. Engine started right away.
Most dealers I talked to said it was probably the motor getting weak and the cold was enough to cause the problem. Have a new 1 on order from China. Should be here next week. Stay tuned.

Sirthor1881

Yeah sounds like main motor coil in it is getting weak when cold. If it hunts for position like that it's not getting to stopping point or the micro switch. Sounds like you will have it taken care of with the new stepping motor. If you need the process to get it adjusted right let me know and I can pull it out of my notes and get it to you. Real easy process.

kp100

Occupation
semi retired
Have a Kobelco dealer coming to do the install and the A adjustment. He said the seat has to be removed so he can access the CPU under it. It has to be in a adjustment mode or something. Does this sound right?