• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK 024/Thumb ?

lfreng

New guy here. I got a line on a Kobelco SK024 machine (early 90's I think). I am looking for an excavator to use on our land up on Lake Vermillion for clearing and foundation work for a cabin. This is a steal of a deal but I have one unknown. The unit has a stab arm on it and I need to make sure a hydraulic thumb could be installed on it. I have lots of large boulders in the soil up there and need to be able to pluck them out. Does anyone know if this is possible? I attached a pic of it. Ex.jpg

lantraxco

hydraulic thumb, not likely, very dificult if at all possible. Can't see it very well, but you may be able to install an Amulet "Hoe-Clamp"

http://www.amulet.com/hoeclamp.html

One thing to keep in mind, you've already got a LOT of weight on there with that arm, adding a thumb and working with boulders, you're going to be stressing things hard. You may run out of lift power on the boom cylinder, of course you may be able to boost the pressure (if it hasn't been already) but then you're asking for failures all the way from the pumps and valve stack to the hoses and cylinders. I see they've already added some counterweight. These little guys are way overbuilt as a rule so you may be okay, it's just something you should be aware of.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
What you could do is make a way to pin the extendastick in the retracted position and tie into the hyds for the extend/retract circuit to run the thumb cylinder. You'd pretty much have to remove the thumb completely to use the extend option again though. We had a 446 Cat Backhoe that the AUX lines were plumbed like that from the dealer. I always thought it was a little ghetto on a brand new machine though. Lantraxco is correct about the weight though. I would steer clear of this one.

lfreng

Appreciate the feedback guys. Definetly things to think about. I can probably get away without having a thumb but it would be nice. The next closest machine (TB016) I can find is $4,500 more than this one and has more hours. It is newer but this one is an original owner machine and is well kept. Could a guy ditch the extendable arm and go back to a standard arm and put a thumb on that? (Excuse the ignorance) Would I have to try and find a arm built for this model or are they somewhat interchangeable as long as the saddles for the pins the same width/diameter and the arm is close to the same length?

lantraxco

The arms all tend to be a bit different, so if you wanted to go back to original, you should probably look for the same make and model that's being dismantled for parts. The extending arm is a great feature to have, but like all things, when you gain something, you also lose something to balance the universe. If you really like this machine, have a look at the Amulet setup, it doesn't require any hydraulics and is easily removeable when you don't need it. I have no connection with them, I'm just familiar with the product and think it's usually the best solution for having a thumb with an extender.

lfreng

Decided to go with a rigid thumb. Broke out the plasma cutter and welded one up. They had on it at one point. The tabs are bent in from boulders but I am going to straighten those out this week so I can attach it with hitch pins. Just needs a couple of holes drilled. Here is the finished product. $38 bucks in metal. thumb.jpg