• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Klutch Tools

ianholt150

Anybody have any experience with Klutch Tools from Northern Tool? Are they just Harbor Freight with a bigger price tag, or are they like Craftsman, where they’re middle of the road?

Last edited:

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I think I’ve got the klutch jumbo wrenches. 2”-2.5”. Decent for the money. Anything has got to be better than horrible freight.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
From my experience a step above HF but no Wright by any means. Just today bought a 1/2" torque wrench for $100. We'll only use it occasionally to check megalug bolts so it should serve us well.

Jonas302

We use quite a bit of the Klutch tools
No not at all harbor freight style

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Got one of their jacks which has outlasted the Horror Freight ones and worked in temperatures Horror Freight ones stopped working in. I'm impressed and if near one again will buy more from them or order online.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
HAAAAAAAA!!! You bunch of debutants crack me up! I haven't logged into HF in 2 years after getting fed up with the better than though BS (Welder Dave; my crane pump mount is still to this day firmly in place where I welded it:p) but this was a post worthy of doing so! I bet most of you haven't even been into Harbor Freight since they sold what would be at a Homier's truck junk sale. It would be worse than an old lady losing her virginity to admit if you did! Craftsman?? You mean those shitttty 13 tooth ratchets? I keep one of those junkers as a backup on my service truck in case my HF's fail (haven't yet!!). I've used a 3' cheater on their Pittsburg slide handle 1/2" and have yet to break one. Crapsman, went through many. Break an HF? Carry it in and get a brand spanky new one with no questions asked instead of someone else's 'rebuilt' POS. Oh, right, you can't anymore! Crapsman is now for weekend warrior douches shopping at Lowe's and whatever other store carries their chinese crap. The premier HF line (Icon) is as good as any Strap On (used them, overrated) and I can buy several HF for what one SO would cost. I have the 27 month insurance policy with my electric guns. WHATEVER reason I want to bring it back for, NO questions are asked. I'm working for me and my family, not to put the Strap On dude's kids through Harvard. Most of my service truck tools from the big air compressor, air tools, electric impacts, ratchets, finely polished wrenches, air jacks, testing tools and whatever else I can get are from HF and serve me well everyday! Buy American?? That's funny! Name brands, likely off the same assembly line as mine but with different plastic. Had a Stanley air impact from Taiwan. Saw the same gun on Strap On tool truck as a Blue Point for WAY more money. Dewalt chop saw blades are chinese just like the HF ones. Yes, HF has the bottom of the barrel stuff for cheap, but right next to it hangs top quality tools at prices that won't keep one in debt for years. I even get a discount on their card and there are always spot sales or ITC deals to drop prices even more. Truck man do that??
Friend of mine I graduated high school with is now the head tech at the local Toyota dealership and HF tools abound in their shop.
Klutch? have a couple of theirs. Not impressed.
I'm gonna laugh my a$$ off when Harbor Freight sponsors a Nascar! Maybe it'll be a Toyota:D!
What does $60k on a tool truck get? Not much. Same at HF? The whole store!!!

Let the show begin!!!:D Now, where's my popcorn? After many fakebook political fights and jail time this should be fun!

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
You can find some junk in HF if you try hard enough but the stuff has really came up to speed. My "goof " tgools are worn out too, I just bought 25 new screwdrivers, some 1/2 impact wob extensions. I tried a couple drivers for a while then I bo8ught a fistful. Nice to have new shard drivers again. They may be as good as permium, who knows but I like them as good or better. The pliers are coming, I have been a Channelock hold out but they have always been good and still priced right. We bought some adjustables thru auto parts, ATD and they are go to, as good or better and not scared to take them anywhere.
Sears been crap for years and statistically the ratchet may be the worst tool ever sold,,,,, one of the downfalls,,, even HF learned and come up with better and Sears sold that pos for decades. Sears sockets north of the 80s been dismal, broke a lot right out of the box, the replacements were fine. Most all this kind of thing comes off the same couple lines and goes in to different packages.

Vetech63

HAAAAAAAA!!! You bunch of debutants crack me up! I haven't logged into HF in 2 years after getting fed up with the better than though BS (Welder Dave; my crane pump mount is still to this day firmly in place where I welded it:p) but this was a post worthy of doing so! I bet most of you haven't even been into Harbor Freight since they sold what would be at a Homier's truck junk sale. It would be worse than an old lady losing her virginity to admit if you did! Craftsman?? You mean those shitttty 13 tooth ratchets? I keep one of those junkers as a backup on my service truck in case my HF's fail (haven't yet!!). I've used a 3' cheater on their Pittsburg slide handle 1/2" and have yet to break one. Crapsman, went through many. Break an HF? Carry it in and get a brand spanky new one with no questions asked instead of someone else's 'rebuilt' POS. Oh, right, you can't anymore! Crapsman is now for weekend warrior douches shopping at Lowe's and whatever other store carries their chinese crap. The premier HF line (Icon) is as good as any Strap On (used them, overrated) and I can buy several HF for what one SO would cost. I have the 27 month insurance policy with my electric guns. WHATEVER reason I want to bring it back for, NO questions are asked. I'm working for me and my family, not to put the Strap On dude's kids through Harvard. Most of my service truck tools from the big air compressor, air tools, electric impacts, ratchets, finely polished wrenches, air jacks, testing tools and whatever else I can get are from HF and serve me well everyday! Buy American?? That's funny! Name brands, likely off the same assembly line as mine but with different plastic. Had a Stanley air impact from Taiwan. Saw the same gun on Strap On tool truck as a Blue Point for WAY more money. Dewalt chop saw blades are chinese just like the HF ones. Yes, HF has the bottom of the barrel stuff for cheap, but right next to it hangs top quality tools at prices that won't keep one in debt for years. I even get a discount on their card and there are always spot sales or ITC deals to drop prices even more. Truck man do that??
Friend of mine I graduated high school with is now the head tech at the local Toyota dealership and HF tools abound in their shop.
I'm gonna laugh my a$$ off when Harbor Freight sponsors a Nascar! Maybe it'll be a Toyota:D!

Let the show begin!!!:D Now, where's my popcorn? After many fakebook political fights and jail time this should be fun!
Meh, I'm not convinced. Please let me know how you REALLY feel......and don't hold back this time!
PeepingTom.jpg

Mike L

Occupation

eh, whatever. To each his own.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I have a few Klutch things I've ordered or acquired over time seems ok, mostly jumbo wrenches.

Actually a lot of my jumbos are imports, especially the ones that go on the road with me, so if I need a funky 1 3/4" or whatever while I'm elbow deep in some track loader or something... wrench meet zip wheel lol.

JPV

I have a mixture of everything, they all work but when the cheap tool fails and it pisses me off I spend the dough on a good one and don't look back or think twice.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I started buying wrenches over 1 1/2" it was only because the head on the big crescent wrench wouldn't fit in the small space I had to get to for a hydraulic hose. I also found out that those big fittings in general weren't all that tight when you use a two foot long combination wrench on them. Imports became my tool of choice. I wasn't going to spent a hundred bucks on a wrench I might use twice in ten years when I could get an import for thirty five bucks that would mostly sit in a tool drawer in the truck or the steel storage box in my shop.

Pony

Yeah, as stated before, I'm not a mechanic, just fix my own stuff.
I buy relatively cheap sockets, spanners, etc and then when I break one I'll replace it with a good one.
As John C said, no point having expensive stuff you hardly ever use.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
There is a lot of ,,, I was trying to think of better word than bullshit but there isn't that all these cheap tools break or strip every nut. This is a holdover from the 70s
I beat the snot out of a 3/8 combo the other day with a 20 oz. nail hammer. Over the years broke 3 or 4 wrenches running them back up to impacting repeatedly. They are brutally tough.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Klein screwdriver cost 8$ 30 years ago. HF got one cost less than 2 today and l like it so good or better. O s'pose it could be tested somehow but it's kind of moot, does the work and the cost is a bonus especially considering 30 yrs difference, todays dollars.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I was a quality nut when I started, choices were fewer and shopping difficult. Today with a few exceptions would buy very few premium tools, pass on the best and get to the economy generic which are so good and while they are not premium they are the same as many mid in a cheaper box.
The study of hand can openers worth a look in Walmart. If anyone would have said in 1995 I would be using a 30$ grinder, 50$ battery drill, 2$ screwdriver and a dollar wrench I would have said no way, no how.
If you said I would be using a dollar wrench 20 years later in hard service I might have said it would make a year but 20, no way,,, no reason now to think it wont be good for another 20. Same for adjustable. Worn the ink off the handle said China where there used to be brand,, could stamp out Proto or WF and not tell the difference.

Mike L

Occupation
When I first started wrenching a guy who worked in management asked me if I was interested in some large wrenches that he had inherited from his father. Sure why not. He showed up with a bunch of snap-on wrenches from 1 1/8- 1 5/8” and also 3 blue point supreme double open end wrenches. I bought them for $15 each. By far the best tool deal I ever found. I’ve never seen any other blue point supreme tools. I believe they were made in the 1950s. I also keep a pile of el cheapo large wrenches for when I need to cut something up for custom applications

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

It's been 2 years since you've logged into HEF? Funny I haven't noticed but thanks for reminding us.;)

Opinions are like aresholes everyone has one but there is no since in getting all worked over one.

Last edited:

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I would not go to the trouble for expensive tools anymore. The cost. The risk, dont even have to insure them. Can buy them outright for lunch kind of money.