• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth air tanks

ahart

The air reservoir tanks on my truck (2007 KW T300) are starting to leak from corrosion as is expected here in the Midwest on a 17 yr old truck. Kenworth apparently wants $630 for each one and there are 3. Outside has 2 ports, one in the middle with a plug and the bottom one is a drain valve. Inside has Five 1/2” ports and one 1/4” port. 8” diameter and 25” long, strap mount under the battery box. I’ve dug around on Dorman’s site and can’t come up with one I’m satisfied will replace them. Hate to bite the bullet on $1900 for air tanks but I might have to. Anyone got any other options??

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have two under one of my Mack trucks that corroded out and I sawed the end bells clear in my bandsaw, had center sections rolled and I welded them back together as a new tank. The old bungs were reutilized as they were removed with a hole saw in a drill press prior to sawing the tank(s). I have done the same with a Mack step tank and it's now an oil tank for a wet kit. All these tanks were steel, but I'd have done the same with aluminum.

Truck Shop

The reason--too many truck configurations for identical aftermarket replacement tanks.
It's either adapt a close aftermarket or OEM-and because of the price of fittings plus
time it's a better deal to buck up and buy the OEM and be done with it. Plus it's back to
stock configuration.

1693TA

Occupation
This be my air tank cutting bandsaw:

20231113_155522.jpg

This is the tank I've converted to an oil tank for a wet kit but have not used yet. I've replaced most of the bottom of this one and deepened the original sump:

20231113_155534.jpg
This is another end bell from a scrap tank that was crushed on the other end. I take these out to rebuild an otherwise scrap tank:

20231113_155600.jpg

One of these days once the need arises, I'll cut this one open and repair the crushed area bringing it back to original form and weld it back together:

20231113_155634.jpg

Boy a good shop cleaning would be in order. I got so much crap piled in so many places it's difficult to find what's needed sometimes.

I have a little stand around here I built from channel and metal casters with one of the casters driven by hydraulic motor which is variable speed. It works very well for welding seams in tanks and generates very linear welds putting the end bells back into tanks.

Tyler d4c

Since we are on the subject of tanks here's how we did the hydro tank on dump trucks. Not the right solution because the guy who made it (me) about put diesel in the hydro the other day.
With employees it would probably happen.
20230312_134742.jpg

Attachments

• 20230305_171244.jpg
    20230305_171244.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230312_152607.jpg
    20230312_152607.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

1693TA

Occupation
Yep, decals only go so far but when you have the same employees long term it's usually not a problem. I usually stencil Hydraulic Oil Only in yellow on the tanks afterward if used in that application. Blast and paint the filler caps bright yellow also.

crane operator

8" x 29" but the clips push them to 32". Probably 28-29" at the tank. Probably be into the driveline?

Vander Haags has three of them, but they look like they may be rustier than what you have.

I sure hope the pictures of the hydraulic tank projects has helped in your search. Want me to post some pics of the alternator I fixed last week?

Tyler d4c

8" x 29" but the clips push them to 32". Probably 28-29" at the tank. Probably be into the driveline?

Vander Haags has three of them, but they look like they may be rustier than what you have.

I sure hope the pictures of the hydraulic tank projects has helped in your search. Want me to post some pics of the alternator I fixed last week?
I believe the point is that the old air tanks can very likely be rebuilt if need be

ahart

I’m not currently stepping over anything. I’m more than willing to spend what it takes to fix it but I’m also not ignorant to other peoples experiences and opinions which is why I put it out there. I specifically thought you might be able to offer a source with the experience you have. Used isn’t an option as long as new is available, repairing what I have is a last resort as I don’t have down time to spare. Nearly equivalent aftermarket is what I was searching for, I’ll probably just buy OEM if I can’t accomplish that.

Truck Shop

I’m not currently stepping over anything. I’m more than willing to spend what it takes to fix it but I’m also not ignorant to other peoples experiences and opinions which is why I put it out there. I specifically thought you might be able to offer a source with the experience you have. Used isn’t an option as long as new is available, repairing what I have is a last resort as I don’t have down time to spare. Nearly equivalent aftermarket is what I was searching for, I’ll probably just buy OEM if I can’t accomplish that.
It's an air tank for sh!t sake-what does a air do besides hold air? It rots.-In my years I have never found
a true fit aftermarket air tank replacement for anything. I found out years ago when it comes to trucks
you can waste allot of time and labor trying to make fit or just buck up.

1693TA

Occupation
I still have a couple of R model Mack fuel tanks on a shelf with one being repaired and ready to install. Used to see these things often and being around them so much they were always either donated for rebuild rather than scrap, or one of my rebuilds was installed and the defective taken in as a "core". Usually rusted under the straps so cut the end bells free, have the center section rolled to diameter and put them back together. Several continue to be run.

I found it a great way to keep a couple of guys off the unemployment roles when times were slow, or work lacking in the short duration.