• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

This is for khansen- so he doesn't forget what work looks like. I left the shop at 2:00, had to set a breaker on top of the jaw crusher we set a couple weeks ago. They were crushing from the other crusher, and everything was running when I showed up. I had to set in the middle of all the action, and had a cloud of limestone surrounding me so I could barely see. When the layer of dust got the top window about covered, so I couldn't see, it started to rain, smearing all the dust around, and making the deck of the crane like finely ground snot. It was finally raining a good full downpour, when I had to tear down to head home, good times....

20170524_160113.jpg 20170524_160117.jpg 20170524_160122.jpg 20170524_164323.jpg

crane operator

Got a job in on Friday, had 10 new units to set and 4 old units to set down for demo. Left the shop at 6:30,on jobsite at 8:00, they informed me that they quit at 11:30 on holiday weekend, plus I had travel restriction starting at 12:00 (no oversize/weight loads on holiday weekends), so we had the hustle on.

3 setups and tear downs, used my new little cart for 6 of the new units, they were way across the roof- you can see them setting it on the far left in the first picture. We got done by 11:00 and didn't even have to sneak back home after travel restriction started.

20170526_092138.jpg 20170526_092326.jpg 20170526_101146.jpg 20170526_102102.jpg

crane operator

We had a wedding of a nephew on saturday, so were out of town, one of my guys sent me this picture. We had 5 inches of rain in a short amount of time saturday night, and it was kind of hard on the shop road again. The water comes across the road and eats away the back side, this was all fixed about 2 years ago when the same thing happened.

Unfortunately a couple people drowned on another crossing that same night, car got swept away. People think they can drive through anything and last time my road flooded, someone got swept out in the pasture- if they had been in the creek bed they would have drown too.
IMG950688.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This is for khansen- so he doesn't forget what work looks like.

Heck just this friday I stopped at quarry to donate some used motoroil to the shop heating fund and a small pile of scrap metal to the scrap dumpster. I did stop in the front office to chat with the ladies there! The boss an a few guys were out working on one of the crushers so I stayed clear of that!

lumberjack

Why bridle the logs? Granted my perspective is different with a smaller knuckle boom and being a tree guy, but I usually prefer a single choker when possible. If we are making a larger vertical pick we'll use two chokers set 180* apart.

crane operator

Why bridle the logs? Granted my perspective is different with a smaller knuckle boom and being a tree guy, but I usually prefer a single choker when possible. If we are making a larger vertical pick we'll use two chokers set 180* apart.

The logs were laying flat on the ground where they dropped the tree and they were going to be laying flat in the truck. Start out flat and keep them flat that way, its always hard to stack them nice in the truck when they're hanging from a single choker/ i.e. set the but down and then flop them over, with the crane I'm 100' away from the log with the boom head, so you don't have near the control when laying down the log that you do with the knuckle boom.

In the other tree job with the bucket truck, I'm just single choking them, because we were dropping it with the bucket truck. Then I'll just set the butt in the truck and flop it over.

lumberjack

We will ~balance pick logs from the ground with a single choker if it's benefitical. Certainly nothing wrong with it, just curious.

crane operator

No problem, in the blind, with guys who aren't used to rigging things, rarely work with a crane, its easier for me to just send them two chokers and know I have it, then I don't have to worry about them rigging it correctly.

lumberjack

Ah, two more differences... I run my crane by remote almost exclusively (rarely blind), and everyone has headsets for open communication.

crane operator

Building for a new attraction in town. This is the goofiest roof, and the installers don't check any measurements, just going off the plans. I've been at this site 3 days now. 1/2 of it was already up with a forklift, and I've helped them dismantle 3/4 of the welded pieces, because they were all in the wrong place. I'm hoping to get the last of the big stuff up tomorrow.

I shouldn't care that's its been installed wrong, but its frustrating, to spend all day and not get anything done.

20170601_074430.jpg 20170601_074453.jpg 20170601_110722.jpg 20170601_110725.jpg

crane operator

They welded up the columns with the "wings" on them, nobody double checked the orientation, so they mostly came back down. It's a crowded site with the road and cable lines, and they are a pain to stand up and lay down.

20170601_113311.jpg 20170601_120227.jpg 20170601_135017.jpg 20170602_091144.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I shouldn't care that's its been installed wrong, but its frustrating, to spend all day and not get anything done.
I hear ya man! I was setting trusses on a 40 x 80 shed this morning for home owners and man it was slow first two trusses were 3/4 of an hour. It was eating me up, then I thought " beautiful day out I'm making good money doing next to nothing" and it's Saturday I have nothing else to do. So I just leaned back in my seat turned the radio on and enjoyed the day. Before I had the boom in the cradle the owner jump up on the deck and handed me a handful of cash and thanked me for all my patience. I think they call that a win win.

crane operator

hvy 1ton, That is suppose to be tab "A" into slot "A"! Have you never bought any of that assemble it yourself furniture? "B" are the bolts!

Neither one of you probably ever assembled a barbie house on christmas morning correctly, have you?

Speaking of plans- had to install a new dining room light, I cut open the box pull out the parts, and start putting the light together. Wife stomps in (she's already on edge because I'm doing a house project- I never do house projects), digs out the instructions and wants to know why I'm not following them. I'm thinking "YOU didn't come with any instruction booklet or a parts list" but I kept my mouth shut.

Instead the project went south, due to my 16 year old son. I started in the room by myself, shut the old light fixture off, unwired and removed it. My son was in the other room, where I laid the unwired, old light fixture. He asked what I was doing, I told him, and went back to work. He- two minutes later- walked into the room, and flipped the light switch up and down. Multiple times in a split moment.

I proceed to loose my normal calm demeanor "WHAT are you doing, I turned the light off so I could unwire it- You saw me bring the old light into the other room, and ASKED what I was doing. Now I've got a set of bare wires hanging from the ceiling, no idea whether they are hot or not now. WHART IN BLUE BLAZES WAS YOU THINKING BOY....."

Wife proceeds to tee up on me "you didn't shut the breaker off? Why didn't you shut the breaker off? it says in the instructions to shut the breaker off. It's not his fault you didn't follow the directions. Don't be mad at him, you were cutting corners"....etc, etc.

Down to the shop- find a working tester- determine which breaker is controlling the dining room lights- of course its the last breaker, so I get to also reset every clock in the house. The whole time grumbling to myself that if everyone would stay out of the room I'm working in, I would have been done by now. Have I told you guys how much my wife likes me doing projects around the house?

20170604_153047.jpg

crane operator

I also finished up that building this morning, that's right- sunday morning. This every weekend working is getting old, but it makes the banker happy. They've got a bunch of little iron to weld in yet, but they're done with me. I'll go pick the crane up tomorrow morning when there's no traffic.

20170603_090233.jpg 20170604_072457.jpg 20170604_092211.jpg

hosspuller

Crane Op ... That's a crazy roof line. Looks like the two lower roofs will direct the rain into the center. Must have a huge rain water system planned... or a hydro electric plant some where.