• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Lot of truck for not much load, but its the only thing I can get my little forklift on and off of. I tried to fill the propane tank on the forklift before we left, but it didn't want to fill, so we just went. One of my guys left it idling while we were moving our gang/rigging boxes into the building, I told him to shut the forklift off when we weren't moving it, because I didn't think it had much fuel left.

We installed the car in the building, (8- 5pm wasn't easy) then went outside, loaded the gang boxes and were backed up to the trailer to go home, and the forklift ran out of fuel. I winched it on, then fueled the tank when I got back to the shop. It took propane fine once the tank was empty. Guardian angels.

20170430_174052.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
A lot of the time when I work for the Mennonites they are working all around me, big generator running, a guy on a man lift with the engine roaring, a skid steer moving dirt and quite often a zoom boom putting material on the roof reaching under my boom. It makes it hard to hear my own rig sometimes.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Holy crap I guess that's the fine art of drifting a load. That's amazing work, my hats off to you and your crew.

crane operator

Car is in a sponsor's building.

Set some steel today for a pool building at a resort. Took the rt to get up in the set up spot, main beams were too large for the ironworker's boom truck.

Table Rock Dam is less than a mile from my house, they are currently releasing 64,000 cfs. If you look close in the pictures, you can see water splashing over the top of the spillway gates. The wind was hard out of the west, toward the dam, and waves are splashing water over the top of the gates because the lake level above is so high. Flood pool max capacity is 931 feet. Today hit almost 935, which will run over the top of the gates. Typical level is around 915.

20170501_122651.jpg 20170501_185045.jpg 20170501_185510.jpg

crane operator

Dad bragging moment. My oldest daughter is a senior in high school. A week ago we got invited up to Jefferson City, she got selected as one of the top 100 scholars in Missouri. Looks like she's also going to be going to 4 years at Missouri U in columbia, with a full scholarship (room, board, and book allowance even).:) She'll need it- she wants to be a doctor, and that's a lot of school.

This past weekend wasn't her best though- Sunday morning I had to work, and she and her brother took her pickup to church. On the way home, a old man with a trailer pulled out in front of her, she hit his trailer. Thank goodness for old steel trucks, she and her brother are fine.

A couple hours sunday night with the crane outrigger as a press, and some tweaking with the forklift and a chain, and she drove it to school today. If she drove one of those new plastic creations, it would have taken a roll back to leave the site.

20170430_184108.jpg

crane operator

New piece of equipment in the inventory. Its a pro lift hvac cart, for rolling units across a flat roof.

A customer of mine has one of these, and a couple years ago, brought it to a job. We didn't end up using it, because I could reach the HVAC unit with the crane, but I had a job come up that had units 140- 160' away on a flat roof. I've got a homemade scaffold and come a long contraption, but its only good for about 5-800lbs, these were going to be 1,400lbs.

I called that customer, asked him how he liked his, and he gave it a glowing recommendation. He said after his last $10,000 crane bill for a 210ton crane, he was doing something different, and bought one.

I decided to take a chance and ordered one. After this job, I would also recommend it, although it's a little pricey. It was $5,000 delivered to me, I think I would be a lot happier at around $2,500, but I think you're paying for a lot of liability insurance, not equipment.

Its rated at 1,500lbs. battery powered, and works really slick. There's a flat z plate you screw on each side of the unit, then pick the unit up with the end frames. The top bar is adjustable for the height of the unit, the screw jack lifts it by the bottom z plate.

We set 12 units on empty curbs in around 2-3 hours, and moved the crane once because of a parapet wall. The only worry is if you had a weak roof, you may want to put plywood down. I put plywood down just where we landed the units too switch them to the cart, but I think you could do it without on a good roof.

The job I took the pictures on, one of the lead guys told me "I've been dreading putting these units up for a month, we've had to carry and drag too many units on pipes, carts, etc. This was easy."

I'm still trying to figure out how to bill for it, I'm thinking a set rate of around $250-300 for the cart, plus the crane charge. I've got to send a extra man with it, in a pickup. If a guy had a boom truck with a deck, you could haul it pretty easy, I hauled it upright in a old manbasket in the back of a pickup. I did make a couple flat strap picking eyes for the top of them (red brackets)- why they make something to use on a roof, with no picking eyes on it, is beyond me.

http://pro-lift.com/

20170502_090210.jpg 20170502_092206.jpg 20170501_172748.jpg

20170502_091533.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Boy, that really makes me nervous thinking about rolling that thing all over a flat roof looking for the weak spot. At least when you use the crane only, you are only testing one spot and it is presumably a spot already designed for the unit.

crane operator

Don't be such a pessimist Birken (I'm a little concerned about roof liability also). Remember the roofs are all designed with a snow load factor. In fact, the weight of the unit is spread over 4 wheels, mostly on the two big wide ones, it's not much more than 4 big old boys standing around, and no one thinks twice about that.

The Peej

I'm still trying to figure out how to bill for it, I'm thinking a set rate of around $250-300 for the cart, plus the crane charge. I've got to send a extra man with it, in a pickup.

$300 seems way too low. Especially if yous sending an extra guy and truck. I know the theory is if they know you have it they will use you more but the guy, truck, and pro-lift cost you way more than $300 plus now you have another piece of equipment to store

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments. I'm in the same boat, oldest daughter graduates this year and most likely will go to TU. I feel your pains and share your sentiments :)

Junkyard

crane operator

Condo Project. I don't know why they laid these down- some of my contractors like to do that, but these trusses are like 65', and there's a I beam 2' tall in the middle. I had the rt there for 9 1/2 hours, just to lay them down. I have crews that I work with that could have set them in less time than that. (with a few more carpenters) These guys now are just getting started. They were flying them 3 or 4 at a time when I was there. I guess they spent a lot of time sorting according to my operator, very few commons in the building.

The rt is really nice on projects like this, it has enough chart and line pull, to move bundles of trusses around and flip them ( the next truss you need is always on the bottom of the stack). It can also fly 3-4 at a time on the roof together (which my 25's won't do at a radius like this job). It takes up less room on the jobsite, 360 chart, and moves around the site a little faster (compared to my tms 300). It's worth it to haul it in for a job like this, but you can't really justify it for a house truss job.

20170505_155755.jpg 20170505_160122.jpg 20170505_160512.jpg 20170505_160338.jpg

crane operator

Just a note- the new HVAC cart went to it's second job today (in its first week), worked fine. It will probably set in the shop for 6 months now and never move.:rolleyes:

Knepptune

Always makes me scratch my head when you spend 12 hrs laying trusses down on a roof.

Kinda surprised to see those buildings are all steel construction. You don't hardly see that around here.

brewchief

I like that HVAC cart, as an HVAC guy it's always a bit nerve racking when you have to replace a unit and you know it's a ways in from the roof edge or there is a reason that the boom truck can't get that close to the building. One of our wholesalers bought a couple boom trucks so we use them and they do offer what they call a moon buggy to move units across a roof but I don't believe it has any lifting devices built in, basically just a cart with big tires.

A couple hundred bucks extra for use of the lifting cart seem about right, we only pay 200$ for most lifts now but double that would be fine if kept us from needing a larger crane.

crane operator

For those of you hoping to see my rigging of the car in a stairwell in real life- you're going to have to settle for my pictures of it. The powers-that-be didn't like how it looked- we brought it back to the floor yesterday.

20170506_090142.jpg