• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 544A won't move now

greg54

I got a 544A running today that has sat for a few years. I had to put 5 gallons of fluid in transmission to fill it she has some small leaks around some plates and gaskets.
My problem is it went forward and backwards fine until I used the left pedal to stop it cause I needed to blow up a tires and now it will not move forward or reverse and the transmission pressure gauge does not go up now.
Could the clutch cutoff be stuck?

Greg

lantraxco

YES.

Or the left pedal didn't return all the way. The control line connects to the transmission control valve just above the spool the shift linkage connects to at #11.

#8 is the disconnect spool.

T26836_________UN01JAN94.jpg

greg54

what is my best option

What can I do to test and see if that is my problem

lantraxco

Take the line off and probably have to cap it. Try it. If it still won't move, remove the fitting, spool, spring, keeping track of all the little bits and the order, clean, reassemble, with new o-rings if possible. Try again.

greg54

line

Not to familar which line to pull and cap and where it is located. The transmission pressure gauge on the dash i removed that line and got no oil out while running either

lantraxco

You may have lost the drive biscuits in the dampener, there's two u-joints and a connector block between the flywheel housing cover and the transmission torque convertor input, make sure it's turning and keeps turning while in gear, it's supposed to be directly coupled to the flywheel. Check this first.

If you look at this picture of the transmission control valve, which is bolted to the right side of the transmission case, the shift linkage connects to spool #15, the control line you're looking for is connected to fitting #11.

T26836_________UN01JAN94.jpg

greg54

transmission

You may have lost the drive biscuits in the dampener, there's two u-joints and a connector block between the flywheel housing cover and the transmission torque convertor input, make sure it's turning and keeps turning while in gear, it's supposed to be directly coupled to the flywheel. Check this first.

If you look at this picture of the transmission control valve, which is bolted to the right side of the transmission case, the shift linkage connects to spool #15, the control line you're looking for is connected to fitting #11.

View attachment 159992

The driveshaft is spinning between the engine and transmission I can buy the whole machine for a 1000.00 dollars so I figure if its not the valve it is worth that in junk and it only has 4000 hrs on it

lantraxco

It's almost certainly the disconnect spool stuck in if it was working fine until the left pedal was depressed.