• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410E backhoe parking brake keeps coming on when it is moving

moosec

I am working on a John Deere 410E backhoe and the parking brake keeps coming on when it is in motion. When i rev the motor it will kick out for a couple of seconds and then come back on again. i have checked the parking brake switch with a test light(ok), Checked transmission pressure sensor with test light(ok), Checked transmission fliud(ok), checked and replaced solenoid for parking brake (ok), checked fuse and relay for parking brake (ok), checked seat sensor with test light (ok), checked alternator with volt meter (ok). Any ideas what could be wrong or what i should check next? Thanks in advance for the help

Deon

This could be a difficult one. When you say it clicks off when you rev the engine
its sounds like its clicking off due to the alternator voltage rising. What is your volt meter
reading at the battery when engine is at idle? Do you get the same voltage at the park brake switch?

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
The parking brake gets its pressure from the transmission.It is a spring applied/hyd release type brake on the front of the axle.When you rev it you are spinning the trans pump faster supplying more flow.Check your trans main pressure.It should be about 285psi

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
Oh ya, you can cage the parking brake by those 2 bolts on front.That might solve your problem for a while.Just use your stabs for a p brake

JackDeere

Check your transmission vent. Located on top of the bell housing on the left side. If this vent is plugged it will force the transmission oil out the dipstick tune due to thermal expansion. With the transmission oil low the transmission pressure will drop and the park brake will apply.

johnny_waz

Occupation
Engineering
I have the exact same machine as you (bought this past summer), and I had the EXACT same symptoms this past summer. I too checked everything as you have electronically. I will say this, which will show my ignorance some. Lol. I did not realize that the transmission hydraulics were seperate from the main hydraulic oil. It is seperate on this machine, and my trans oil was low from doing a filter change when I bought the machine. It made it just low enough that it would kick the park brake on when the machine got at any slight angle. There IS a seperate transmission dipstick, and it has it's own holding tank seperate from the main hydraulic tank. Check with machine riunning, if the dipstick is low, add oil right down the dipstick tube. Its on the righthand side of machine behind the sliding access panel.

serge aubin

I have the exact same machine as you (bought this past summer), and I had the EXACT same symptoms this past summer. I too checked everything as you have electronically. I will say this, which will show my ignorance some. Lol. I did not realize that the transmission hydraulics were seperate from the main hydraulic oil. It is seperate on this machine, and my trans oil was low from doing a filter change when I bought the machine. It made it just low enough that it would kick the park brake on when the machine got at any slight angle. There IS a seperate transmission dipstick, and it has it's own holding tank seperate from the main hydraulic tank. Check with machine riunning, if the dipstick is low, add oil right down the dipstick tube. Its on the righthand side of machine behind the sliding access panel.
Could you send me a picture of the dipstick i cant seem to find it or that panel. thanks

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, serge !
Reviving a thread that hasn't had a post on it in almost six years may not have any responses from the previous participants.
I'm sure someone else will help you tho.
You do have a 410E is that correct ?

serge aubin

Welcome to HEF, serge !
Reviving a thread that hasn't had a post on Iit in almost six years may not have any responses from the previous participants.
I'm sure someone else will help you tho.
You do have a 410E is that correct ?

I have a 410G but have the exact same issue.

JL Sargent

How it works: The parking brake is spring applied and hyd pressure from the transmission charge pump releases the parking brake. SO if at any time while you are using the machine, the pressure falls below a certain level (lets say 180psi) then the parking brake will automatically reapply due to the spring force which is always present. When the backhoe unexpectedly applied the brake, did you check the transmission fluid by chance? If so, what condition was it in? If it was foamy (aerated), you might have some work to do.