• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 328E Electrical issues

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Wow, you must carpal tunnel syndrome after typing all that out:D.

With the fuse removed, plug an ohmeter on the load side terminal of the fuse holder and check for continuity to ground. Then inspect the harness thoroughly for chafing through clamps or where harness go around bends. If nothing evident, then start unplugging connectors to maybe isolate a harness. Since it appears the only 2 items on that fuse are the ECU and the EGR valve, maybe start by unplugging them to see if the short to ground goes away.

For many of those codes, I would check your static battery voltage, then check the charging system voltage once you get it running.

Once you find your short, then the codes will have to be cleared.

Dyl55

I sent the ecu to get tested/repaired, they said that the ecu was not communicating and paid to have it repaired. you had said to unplug the egr to do a test but I can not find the plug for it, when i lift up the cab i see the egr exhaust input on the right side looking from the front, I emmidiantly see a plug but i assume it is a temp or pressure sensor. it doesn't look like an egr valve controller plug.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
can I test the egr with a multimeter to see if it is bad or not?
No. Don't have specifications for it. The only thing I would suggest is to check terminal "A" of the EGR valve with a multimeter. Measure the "A" pin to ground. If there is no resistance then I would say it is shorted. If there is resistance (again, no spec available) I would say it is not shorted.

Dyl55

I plugged the ecu in and still did not start, fuse was still poping, we unplugged the egr and it finally started but now we can't get the Hydraulic release and park brake to disengage. Although the auxiliary Hydraulics still work.

Dyl55

And all of the previous active ecu codes are gone now all we get is a no egr comm code.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I guess the fuse did not blow? Sounds like a bad EGR valve.

What is the battery voltage when running?

Clear all the codes. See if anything returns other than the EGR code.

now we can't get the Hydraulic release and park brake to disengage.
When you sit in the seat, close the cab door, start the engine, lower the seat bar, what do the indicator lights do on the instrument cluster?

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 5.39.03 AM.png

Dyl55

14v on the tractor display
We have no tool to clear the codes unless there is a special way to do it through the tractor.
#16 pops up when you kill the engine but otherwise none of them are on.

Dyl55

Also on the left hand display the screen always says remote start connected and won't go away until you press one of the 4 buttons by the display.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Also on the left hand display the screen always says remote start connected and won't go away until you press one of the 4 buttons by the display.
That is why your machine won't release the park brake or the hydraulics. One of the diodes (I believe it will be the V1) in the fuse panel is in backwards. Make sure the diodes are pointing in the direction shown below.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11.41.50 AM.png

Dyl55

Now does anyone know of a good place to get an emissions delete kit. I have tried looking and have not had any luck. The main reason is because the egr is so expensive, and it'll just be cheaper in the long run not having to replace it everytime it goes out.