• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 1996 310D

Jdavidanderson

I have completely rebuilt my motor. New injectors were installed, a new starter installed, all rams rebuilt or replaced. The engine runs great now. The problem is getting it started, especially when it is cold. I nearly always have to use a shot of ether to get it to start. The starter turns the engine over really well. Is there a heater that can be installed on fuel line? Once the engine is warm it seems to start easier. Is it possible that the hydraulic pump is trying to pump during the starting process. If so, is this a problem? I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump as well. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Deon

With an engine rebuild you should have good compression. If your timing is right and good fuel supply you would never need ether in your climate. I looked through the service manual and don't find any decompression switch/valve on the hydraulic pump. Are your batteries good, is the motor cranking fast enough?

br1474

Occupation
SVC. TECH
There is not a cold start on the 310D. Do any of the hydraulics move while cranking, like the extendhoe. Also what is the low idle set at it should be no less than 900-925 RPM Are there any valves in the loader or backhoe valve that are capped off and could be causing a hydraulic load.
Do you feel much air coming off the crankcase vent when it is running. One thing that usually helps starting is by advancing the injection pump. loosen the 3 mounting bolts and push the top toward the motor, it maybe necessary to loosen the fuel lines as well.
There is a block heater option that goes in the big plug on side of motor about 2" socket

Delmer

That's an open center hydraulic system, right? so there shouldn't be any load unless something is trying to move like br said.

A block heater really helps a motor start smoother under 30, and start at all under 0, you're not that cold are you???

The timing is the easiest thing to check, you can sort of check it just by how the engine sounds running, does it clatter like a real diesel? or is it almost too smooth? You can move adjust it running with the bolts loose also, by sound. Or line up the timing marks and flywheel pin hole.

But first, when you crank it over for ten seconds, does it blow mist out of the exhaust? no mist, no fuel, no start.