• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG to Discontinue Gradall Rear-Pivot Steer Telehandler Models

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
October 16, 2009
JLG to Discontinue Rear-Pivot Steer Telehandler Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear pivot steer PR.pdf
McConnellsburg, Pa., October 16, 2009 – JLG Industries, Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation company [NYSE: OSK], announced today that it will discontinue the manufacturing of its four rear-pivot steer telehandler models. Beginning in 2010, the G6-42P, 534D9-45, 534D10-45 and 544D10-55 will no longer be part of the JLG branded family of telehandlers.

“The market for rear-pivot steer telehandler models has been in decline for the last several years. The decreased demand for these units, combined with the continuing burden placed on manufacturers to comply with increasingly stringent EPA engine standards, lead us to the decision to discontinue these four niche models,” said Brian Boeckman, JLG industries product parent for telehandlers. “Our customers can rest assured that JLG will continue to support machines in the field with the same level of parts and service available today for many years to come. JLG will focus its resources on developing and maintaining the products and services that bring the most value to our customers.”

JLG will continue to manufacture the JLG branded G5-18A, 619A, 723A, G6-42A, G9-43A, G10-43A, G10-55A and G12-55A. Programs will be put in place to provide customers with access to rebuild / reconditioned rear-pivot steer units long after the last new units are manufactured, as part of JLG Ground Support™, aftermarket support program.

Unlike the other eight models in the JLG branded family, rear-pivot telehandlers provide 90-degree rear-pivot steering with the two rear wheels. This feature differentiates these models from a market that is dominated by four-wheel steer models. The market for these niche models has been regionally focused and has continued to retract over the past several years.

For more information on JLG’s family of telescopic material handlers and aerial work platforms, please visit us on the web at www.jlg.com.
:mad:

How does the drive affect the engine/EPA?

That was fast they are gone off the web site.

Last edited:

Speedpup

Occupation
I think the market has shrunk so much it let's them kill off a line the. JLG is near a Gradall anyway except for the steering. Regular drive is probably cheaper to make than pivot steer.

Turbo21835

More than likely this has to do with the way the engine is mounted, and connected to the drive train. So rather than developing a new engine to fit, they end the rear pivot design. All the other machines are so similar, that it looks like they can just drop the same engine design in the rest of the machines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I hate to see them kill the Gradall line.

Gradalls were all hydrostatic drive, so using the "engine excuse" doesn't cut the mustard, of course the market for telehandlers being in the tank is a valid reason:(. My 1998 534D6 is a helluva machine. The engine is mounted center frame, with fuel and hyd tanks mounted outside. I think the newer machines have the engines mounted on the side, none the less, the same engine that will power the JLG brand and meet EPA standards could be used in the Gradall machine. The pivot steering set up would not affect the type of engine used.

Speedpup

Occupation
The newer JLG machines have a shorter turning radius now and shorter wheelbase. Wonder about the Lull 1044C-54 with new technology JLG has for level placement.

All started with the LOED designed machine in the early 80's. Anyone have or run one of those?

I was looking at some used Gradalls recently but I guess I'll stick to the Lulls which I am familar with.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I kinda wonder if the Caterpillar deal with JLG might have had something to do with this.

Speedpup

Occupation
I kinda wonder if the Caterpillar deal with JLG might have had something to do with this.

I think only that it increases market share for JLG line of machines and may make Gradall line seem even smaller.

What is the price difference in a JLG and CAT for similar machines made by JLG? I bet it is a bunch more.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know as I'm usually on the junky side of the business. I suppose your right about a large cost difference. I was thinking though about how much production is increased in order to fill the Cat orders and why make a low sales volume machine.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It could very well be that the sales volume is too low to continue building the machine. After all, with anything, if customers aren't purchasing them (for whatever reason), you can't justify continuing to build them. I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but think this Gradall being phased out is just the beginning of any number of machines being discontinued because of current economic conditions and lack of equipment sales. There are new and used machines sitting everywhere right now. This past week, there was an out of town contractor here in town that purchased a new New Holland excavator from a dealer in Florida and had it transported here to do a job. He needed a thumb installed on it, so he had it delivered to our yard to install a thumb. I don't know what year model the machine was, but sure enough, it was a new machine, 17.6 hrs on it. But it was obvious it has been sitting for...a couple of years? The paint was faded, even had warning decals on the boom that was so faded you couldn't tell what the warning was. He took it to his jobsite to work it. Called the very next day saying the engine had quit and wanted me to come check it out. I found a strainer in a banjo fitting at the water seperator clogged with crud, drained near a gallon of water/dregs from the fuel tank. Yeah, this new machine, like so many others, has been sitting for a while. Not very encouraging.

Speedpup

Occupation
I don't know as I'm usually on the junky side of the business. I suppose your right about a large cost difference. I was thinking though about how much production is increased in order to fill the Cat orders and why make a low sales volume machine.

CAt may have a larger reach worldwide. I was looking at the numbers on sales of telehandlers and how it increased. I'll go find it now.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
They are quitting production because the Gradalls last too long. That's a shame, because I don't believe the JLG's can match the capabilities of the Gradall's. On a tight jobsite, the Gradall can turn without moving the inside front tire. That means you only need the 40' to turn the machine 360. With the 4 wheel steering, you need twice that much room.

Hopefully they will still support with parts, so those of us with Gradalls can continue to use and maintain them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hopefully they will still support with parts, so those of us with Gradalls can continue to use and maintain them.

X2 :Cowboy The good thing is mine has a cummins, most electrical parts I can get at NAPA and the other things can hopefully be rebuilt or fabricated if parts are not available.

Speedpup

Occupation
JLG is great with parts even on my 85-92 Lull machines. Salvage is alway another option. Wear items are readily available from JLG. Anything they made in house they will make even for an older machine as the have the drawings you may not get it overnight. 2-3 weeks would be common even for an out dated hoist piston. You will pay a decent amount because it is a custom order and fabrication but you will get it. I don't think it will be a problem for a long, long time.

I guess it would hurt the sales of new machines sitting on lots as people may shy away from p[aying new prices. It may hurt used prices slightly but they are already in the dumps as it is. No worse than buying a Lull 844-c which is no longer made.

Occupation
Sales
While I am not a fan of the Gradall, I am surprised to see it get away from what makes it popular. The economy is going to narrow down people choices in a quick way.
A

Speedpup

Occupation
the only thing the JLG line doesn't have is the pivot steering it still has the Gradall visability, shorter length and shorter turning radius, The Gradall was in need od upgrades even like the dash area so I guess it was to much with the sales numbers. Still sad for a machine that has changed little in many years. New sharper turning axle technology has killed it.

RandyS

I thought they had quit making them several years ago, but I think Speedpup set me straight on that a few months ago :)

I really like Gradalls, helping a customer buy a few right now that he's shipping out of the country.

rino1494

We recently did a 54,000 sq ft addition for a machine shop that makes parts for JLG. They were hurting bad. Went from 400 employees down to 50. The owner picked up work for IR, Volvo and cummins and is busy again.

Speedpup

Occupation
I would bet JLG lost 2/3 of it's employees from it's high. Lucky Oshkasa (sp) owns them now. I spoke to a dealer and he said he sold 108 Lulls in one year and 40 most years. This past year he sold 2.