• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG speed control out of adjustment

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I got the manuals but Im not finding much detail on the speed control...anyways from the ground controls functions move normal,,,,from the basket with speed control all the way up is is half speed at best and seems to go even slower...I would guess normal would be platform speed matches lower controls with speed control all the way up....doing more tests today.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
2000 450A...I have adjusted the micro pots that are below the speed control ....is there a coarse adjustment on the valve block maybe?

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I believe I got it...when I realized the proportional value is not adjustable ...I figured out I was not turning pots enough (per manual)....now the problem is minor...I can not rotate right and go up at same time...it rotates left when I do this???...individually it works normal...its got to be the control board ???...I noticed the boards are labeled backwards..previous owners error I guess or does anyone have any reasoning on that ...the boards seem identical.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wait, am I reading that right? When you use the boom controller by itself, it works fine. Likewise, when you use the swing controller by itself, it works fine as well. But when you boom up and select swing right at the same time, it swings left?

What does it do when you boom up and select swing left at the same time?

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I got it to do both today up and swing right and it did so but I did not go all the way to the corner and it did ok....Im afraid I am going to let that issue go it is unpredictable when it acts retarded....today It blew a leak on the extend hose on the cylinder so I got another major task ...fishing new hose in...top boom tough ...bottom boom oh **** ...it would be easier with the counter weight removed but thats out too....I am checking out screw on type field installed hydraulic fittings and crimping tool prices...any ideas would help...hoses are 15 yrs old...they are worn mostly were they have been flexing.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I checked out the synflex tool ...but Im not understanding will it do any hose or just their custom hose like the reusable ones ...I will wait till the local fitting shop opens on Monday...I am having some luck removing old hose from bottom boom...it was a matter of cleaning up 15 yrs of muck 3 inches deep almost there... these hoses are 25 ft long...thats alot of fishing.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The Synflex hand swager only works with the Synflex thermoplastic hose and fittings, it's not a re-usable fitting, it's actually a crimp fitting. If you're doing quite a few hoses it's cheaper than a typical hydraulic crimping machine. But if you're just doing a few hoses on a single machine, probably better off just getting a hose shop to make hoses as needed.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
Willie59 your a "God send"...thanks for your input...I just finished removing old hoses (33' 6")...what a pain ...but I can now have the hose shop make me what I need and I know I can fish them through...I did install pulling ropes as I removed the hose...going back should be a breeze. I just bought this JLG in an Iron planet auction and its turning out to be a winner...

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I used what i had 1/4 rope on easy pulls ...and 16 gauge wire on tougher ones...and on the first pull I will couple the new to the old...I will get some wire lub on the tight pull...rubber to rubber has a lot of drag...I can see why JLG changed the boom design in later years. 4 wire cords and then 6 hydraulic hoses..the reason for hose failure was because hose was being pulled at 90 degrees from fitting due to the rubbing in the booms when it moved....makes me want to grease the bundles...ah but that would just draw dirt.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you have an old hose to connect to that works good. On pulls that I've snaked a rope through attached to an old hose, I typically use a plug that fits the new hose fitting, drill a hole in the plug, slip the rope through the hole and knot it, then screw the plug in the new hose fitting. Nothing is more of a buzz kill than the rope to come loose from the hose you're trying to slip in.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
10/4 on the buzz kill ....I know one pull that is going to be tight, because I had to cut the fitting off to pull it out....its a 3/8 ID hose ( not very Big) ...hmm it would be a good Idea to use a fish tape, they are extremely tough harden steel ...I could feed it through a 3/8 jic coupling and tig weld a small knot on it....it may take a lot to pull it through....will defiantly use the wire lub.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
ah the knot will not work ...so I drilled a hole in the side of a coupling big enough for the tape,,put a 90 degree bend in the tape then i will tack weld the fish tape end to the coupling...the stress will be on that 90 degree bend the weld will just hold it in the hole...that should work ...monday I will do this

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
hydraulics all fixed ...but new keyswitch not the problem on shut down problem time for a new post for that issue