• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40HA basket won't rotate

rbcanaday

I have an older 40ha that I am trying to get fixed up. When I bought it the basket wouldn't turn so i'm not sure how long its been like this.
I pulled the hoses going to the motor and the had plenty of pressure. So i unbolted the basket and set it aside. I thought the hydraulic motor was probably bad. I took the bolt out of the shaft along with all the bevel washers, removes the top plate and top brake pad, now the ring gear
and worm gear are exposed, had some one operate it for me.
the worm gear worked fine. problem is the ring is just turning on the shaft. I haven't been able to remove the ring gear yet.
does it have a keyway that could have sheared?? or how is it attached to the shaft/basket? I've looked at the drawing but it doesn't clarify anything for me.
this one is stumping me

woodents

Just wondering if you found your problem? I have a JLG 40 HA with the same dilema. My gears are stuck. Also would love to see specs on how its put together. Thanks

TheFixer

I have a 45HA, and there is a 1/4" x 1" roll pin in the worm gear on the basket rotate gears. If the worm gear and large gear are turning, than you need to look at the basket brake. They call it a brake, but I think it is more of a slip clutch. The gear is not fixed to the shaft. There is a brake disc and a hub on the top side of the gear that sandwiches the brake disc. Then you add the Belleville washers on top of the shaft and torque to 140 FtLbs. It is possible your brake disc is bad, or the bolt came loose, or the Belleville washers are bad, worn or cracked. Also could be excessive oil or grease on it.

Can you rotate the basket side to side by hand? If so, than the gear brake is probably slipping.