• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD Push Pull Cable repair

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
The forward / reverse cable from the cab to the transmission of my 570A is taking too much muscle to operate. I priced a new one from the dealer and they come in at $250 or about $25 per foot. On the advice of a friend, I'm going to try and loosen it up and currently have it soaking in straight antifreeze. The cable sheath appears to be in good condition with no kinks or crushed areas. It appears that a rubber seal may be missing from the transmission end of the cable and I suppose that dirt could have entered and clogged the inner line from here or perhaps it has simply worn out inside where I can not see it.
Has anyone had any experience trying this method using antifreeze? I suppose that it could flush out some crud and a little will remain in the cable to help lubricate it and shouldn't freeze.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The forward / reverse cable from the cab to the transmission of my 570A is taking too much muscle to operate. I priced a new one from the dealer and they come in at $250 or about $25 per foot.

Have you been running our 570 when I was not looking? :confused:We also have a JD570 that needs a shift cable. I might wait and see how your antifreeze soak works.

rsherril

Occupation
The antifreeze soak worked. I used a ten foot length of 3/4 pvc and capped on both ends to soak the cable in overnight. Only needed about a quart to completely cover the cable. Even so I had to put one end in a vice and work the cable back and forth until it broke up what ever was binding it up. When I was finished I was able to spin the cable inside the sheath with a small drill. The devil was in getting the unit out as I was unable to disconnect the clevis pin from the transmission end and had to unscrew it from the yoke turning the entire cable. Reattaching it I was able to use the drill to spin the cable back into the yoke. Dis-assembly and assembly took me about eight hours. Much better now and I'm glad I didn't have to pay the price of a new unit. Maybe ATF would have done the same, however antifreeze was easy to work with and colorful too.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Glad u got it fixed ......

One time I remember seeing a device that clamped itself like a collet on the end of the cable and it had a grease zero on it.......only had to take off one end of the cable, does anyone have any experience or have info on the tool I am talking about ?

Pj

kshansen

Occupation

One time I remember seeing a device that clamped itself like a collet on the end of the cable and it had a grease zero on it.......only had to take off one end of the cable, does anyone have any experience or have info on the tool I am talking about ?

Pj

I have something of that type for motorcycle cables but never saw one big enough for one of these push/pull cables.

It's got me thinking, could be bad, don't do it too often.:idea

How about taking a piece of push-lock type hose that will fit tight over the threaded part of the outer housing clamp with hose clamp and long enough to put a fitting in the other end to connect to an oil pump. Maybe fill pump with a mix of diesel and ATF then pump this lube through the cable till it comes out clean at the other end? Best way might be to install this "tool" at the trans end and use shifter to work the cable in and out while pumping the lube.

I'll see if I can find some time in the next few days to give it a try and report back what happens.

Old Doug

Pj

I worked for a guy that had a tool like that i think you could hook a drill up to it if it was a cable that turned like a speedometer. We used it some but he closed up shortly after so i dont know much about it. I didnt like to use regular grease with it seamed to thick. I have clamped a funnel to one end of a cable tied it up and filled it with oil to run down in it. I have allso clamped a hose to the end and filled with oil and presserised it with air.

td25c

Thats a good idea using pushlock hose over the cable then pumping oil through it kshanson. A garden sprayer might work good for the pump. I think I have the same tool you were talking about for lubing cables. It seems to work pretty good. www.protectall.com/cablehowto.aspx

I have also had good luck with antifreeze for lubing cables that are susceptible to freezing in cold weather. Sometimes use a small syringe to inject the antifreeze or lube in the cable end.

kshansen

Occupation
I have clamped a funnel to one end of a cable tied it up and filled it with oil to run down in it. I have allso clamped a hose to the end and filled with oil and presserised it with air.

On motorcycle I have done about the same thing with a zip-loc bag with one corner cut out and a rubber band to hold it to the cable. Fill with oil and hang it up and let it run through over night.

Thats a good idea using pushlock hose over the cable then pumping oil through it kshanson. A garden sprayer might work good for the pump. I think I have the same tool you were talking about for lubing cables. It seems to work pretty good. www.protectall.com/cablehowto.aspx

I have also had good luck with antifreeze for lubing cables that are susceptible to freezing in cold weather. Sometimes use a small syringe to inject the antifreeze or lube in the cable end.

Yes that's the tool!

td25c

Thought it was the same tool kshanson. Probably more of a preventive maintenance tool for the most part. sometimes can be used without removing the cable. I have to add that rsherril's idea using the the 3/4 pvc pipe to saturate the cable was pretty clever.

Attachments

• cable lube 001.JPG
    cable lube 001.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 514

rsherril

Occupation
I have to add that rsherril's idea using the the 3/4 pvc pipe to saturate the cable was pretty clever.
Thanks, I did not mention that I also added a valve stem to the end cap of the pvc and pressurized the chamber as I wanted the antifreeze to penetrate the entire housing. Bit of over kill I think now.

Old Doug

On motorcycle I have done about the same thing with a zip-loc bag with one corner cut out and a rubber band to hold it to the cable. Fill with oil and hang it up and let it run through over night.

Yes that's the tool!

Thats a good ideal. I had troble finding something that fit . I had a truck thats choke cable was hard to use. I sprayed it alot had oil every were tryed every thing. One day i got a can of pennzoil spray they were closeing it out and i needed some WD40. I sprayed the cable one day with it pulled out i pushed it in and when to pull it out and thought it had broke it was so free after that. I dont know if they make it steal but i would love to try it agin.

kshansen

Occupation
I'll see if I can find some time in the next few days to give it a try and report back what happens.

Figures I had some time to try this cable lube idea and found out I was all out of 1/2 ID push-lock hose! Well found I had a long plastic funnel the was just under 1/2 inch ID on the small end. Pushed it on the outer housing and ty-raped it to the side of machine. Filled it with anti-freeze and after about an hour it already seems much freer. I'm going to let it set over the weekend and if it needs more help on Monday I'll unhook the control handle end and repeat the process.

If this was a mainline production machine that is needed full time I'd just buy the new cable, but this is a machine that will maybe get used a few hours a week in the spring to fall months.

rsherril

Occupation
Well I did get another four more years out that cable but was trying to repeat and results were not so good. Ended up cutting the cable off after I snapped it with the drill trick. Noticed dirty fluid inside the housing and guessing that ATF might have worked better. Regardless I will be looking for a replacement. Thanks for the suggestion about going to a heavy truck shop for a replacement. Glad that I was able to search the forum for this old post as I was thinking that I was going to have to go to the dealer and hear that I have a obsolete machine and fork over the bucks for what ever they might have back in Illinois.
Of course I've got some work lined up next week.

rsherril

Occupation
Thanks, I'm getting educated now. I found a local branch of Drive Train Industries that can have one made up in their Denver location and have it delivered early Wednesday. Glad I took the old one in so they could do the math. Best part is I'll save more than 50% over dealer, if all works out.
Interesting sidelight is I checked both Green and Yellow JD dealers, same part number $25 more at Green. Yellow has to go to Canada to find it in inventory.